X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby needs help..

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby needs help..

I have fallen on very hard times and just found out that I have two problems with my 2003 Jag X Type 3.0.

I am not a mechanic or even close so I am lost really. I was told that the Output Shaft seals and the Crank Dampener seal need to be replaced. The dealership quoted $1800 to do the repairs. I cannot afford to them now without a job and was wondering which "Fix" is most important of the two? Does the price seem right? How much risk is it to drive the car until I can come up with some money?

Thanks so much!

Steve

Old 12-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Output shaft seals I guess are the gearbox/transfer case seals??????????

The Crank Damper seal is an engine oil seal. If you keep the engine oil level topped up at all times it is just a nuisance to ensure you don't ruin the engine.

The output shaft seals are a little harder to determine the amount of fluid loss.
A 'seep' is acceptable for a while but actual fluid loss can be damaging to the transfer case or gearbox.

If you see RED fluid on the ground, then it is gearbox related. The transfer case fluid is golden/amber in color (as is the engine oil)

You need to crawl under and determine if it is a LEAK or a SEEP.

The Dealer will always 'UP-SELL' to make money. Sometimes necessary repairs and sometimes NOT.

A second opinion is always recommended if the repair bill is high or the estimate is unexpected.

You be the judge!!

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
mediaman (01-03-2012)
Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Also, if you don't want to work on the car yourself and don't want to pay the dealership fees, find a reputable shop near you that repairs jaguars and they might be able to do it a little cheaper. This is a rare enough car that taking it to the dealer will be the best option, but if you are tight on funds then you can probably get someone else to do it at a fraction of the original price. As motorcarman said, the seal between the gearbox and transfer case needs to be replaced if they found that leaking. It could cause problems with the transfer case and gearbox, but the other one is just a matter of checking the oil frequently.

mediaman (01-03-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Default A gracious thank you guys..And a quick question...

What would I expect to pay for having the output shaft seal replaced at a dealearship vs. say just a well know independent Jaguar mechanic? I live in Atlanta.

Thanks again and this board is simply awesome!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Default Can you clarify?

Is there a way to monitor the leak between the gearbox and transfer case?

Originally Posted by disguay
Also, if you don't want to work on the car yourself and don't want to pay the dealership fees, find a reputable shop near you that repairs jaguars and they might be able to do it a little cheaper. This is a rare enough car that taking it to the dealer will be the best option, but if you are tight on funds then you can probably get someone else to do it at a fraction of the original price. As motorcarman said, the seal between the gearbox and transfer case needs to be replaced if they found that leaking. It could cause problems with the transfer case and gearbox, but the other one is just a matter of checking the oil frequently.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The left inner axle seal is about a 3 hour job. The right one is a pain because the transfer case must be removed and the intermediate shaft as well.

I guess you could place a pan or clean paper under the flange and determine the rate of the fluid leak. A small spot every day or a large puddle every hour??????

If you opt to remove the transfer case you might as well get the flange 'O'ring and the right axle seal BOTH done.

bob gauff

mediaman (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

also, in my experience, dealer costs are normally 150% to 200% of what you would pay at a reputable repair shop.

mediaman (01-03-2012)