X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No crank. No fuel. No spark. No OBD2 code. DSC System / Gearbox / Transmission Fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No crank. No fuel. No spark. No OBD2 code. DSC System / Gearbox / Transmission Fault

This is from a thread earlier, to recap everything that has been done:

This is for a 2002 Jaguar X-Type. 2.5L V6. AWD. Automatic transmission. Gearbox Fault and DSC System Failure is stated on the console. The CEL and ABS are both on.

When the key is inserted, and put in the "ON" position, the starter does not engage for the engine to crank/turn over. Nothing happens.

The key that is used, the remote can lock/unlock/pop the trunk and etc.

Several OBD2 code readers have been used, none of them were able to pull a code. The port does have power, as the units light up when connected.

If power is crossed on the starter solenoid, the starter engages and the engine turns over. Starter fluid is used, but nothing happens.

A new battery has been used with and without a jump starter and battery charger set at 6 AMP. No change.

The TCM/TCU was pulled, and it appeared to have no moisture/water damage, although the vehicle has a cracked windshield. The TCM has been reinstalled. No change.

The trim around the shifter has been pulled. The J-Gate solenoid does not move under its own power. If the tab is pushed down, then the shifter can be placed out of park. If the shifter is pushed forward to park, it hits the "park" switch which makes a click in the ignition. When in the "R" position, if an object is behind the back-up sensors, sounds come saying it is too close.

The intake box has been removed, and the PCV tube below it is NOT cracked.

A spark plug has been pulled out, while power is applied to the starter, there is no spark.

A threaded nipple on the fuel line just left of the engine had a been pushed in and a little bit of fuel came out (I'm assuming what was pressurized). I'm assuming its for a fuel pressure guage. When the key is turned, no more fuel comes out. I'm assuming the fuel pump is not functioning.

The vehicle is parked on a slight incline, the rear is on the incline. At first, the fuel tank read below empty. I poured in a gallon of gas, and it the reading changed to 1/8 tank.

The intake tube has been taken off, and the butteryfly valve for the throttle body does not move at all when someone presses the throttle.

The ground for the ECU near the power steering reservoir has been removed, sanded and re-installed. There wasn't any corrosion, but I did it just in case. No change.

The inertia switch has been reset multiple times, and no change.

To recap: No crank. No fuel. No spark. No OBD2 code. DSC System Failure. Gearbox Fault.

The only thing I can think of is the ECU, but I cannot remove it. I've removed the two nuts in the engine bay. Then I removed one nut holding the bracket under the dash. I wasn't able to get it out. There appears to b a 5-pointed star with a raised center that is keeping me from pulling the harness off. Besides that, I do not know what other nuts and bolts are holding it in.

Please let me know if you guys have any ideas, because I'm pretty fresh out of them.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Why abandon your own thread and start a new one with the exact same issue?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 PM

I'm pretty certain I won't be of much help, so here goes.

Do you possibly suspect the key switch itself, since you can effectively override it at the starter motor? Do you not get any spark (which implies that it's more than just the key switch) and firing of the cylinder?

Did you think it might have been the shifter not fully engaging the Park switch on the trans shift linkage, but that turned out to not be the problem?

Wow ... what a pain in the tush. Where in Mich are you located?

Last edited by rand49er; 08-09-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's got a dead 'will-to-live' circuit.

The key that is used, the remote can lock/unlock/pop the trunk and etc.
Bad, or incorrect transponder key? The remote may operate the door locks, trunk, etc., but the key itself needs to be programmed to the car.
The number of electrical circuits you've mentioned as being kaput would lead one to believe there's a single, common culprit. Good luck with that......hate when this happens! Been there.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

The ignition switch is fused. Has fuse blown?

On ignition position 1, do the lights or radio come on?

Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 PM

How can I test if it is a problem with the key?

When I override the starter solenoid, there is no spark.

Also, anyone know how to pull out an ECU?

As far as the ignition switch, I don't think its bad. When the key is turned, the lights, radio and etc all turn on as it should.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the key you have the one that came with the car? (the key transponder is not interchangeable from car to car) If you don't have the original key, you're kinda screwed. You'll need to contact a full-service locksmith or a Jag dealer to sort out the transponder programming........if that's the problem.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 PM

I really hope its only just the key. The key that I have turns the ignition. What is the likely hood that the keys I have turns the ignition cylinder, but is the wrong key? Is here THAT many different combinations? What are the tests to see if the key is bad? I don't think the Security light turns on, but I will check tomorrow.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by PreJag
Is the key you have the one that came with the car? (the key transponder is not interchangeable from car to car) If you don't have the original key, you're kinda screwed. You'll need to contact a full-service locksmith or a Jag dealer to sort out the transponder programming........if that's the problem.
I was told if it is the wrong key or not programmed correctly, the LED near the DSC/Traction light near the gear shifter would blink. Instead, it stays solid. Is it safe to assume that this key is for this vehicle?

Any other ideas? Anyone know how to pull out the ECU?

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

What's the holdup with the ECU again? Is it just a security torx nut you can't get off? Sorry I haven't had time to go look at mine.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Chris X
What's the holdup with the ECU again? Is it just a security torx nut you can't get off? Sorry I haven't had time to go look at mine.

I bought the torx bit, and took off the connector. I read if it were bad, the connector/pins would be green and the ECU would need to be replaced. The connector and pins were in great shape when I took them off. Any other ideas?

Old 08-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the inertia switch located in the passenger kick panel. Make sure that the button is depressed. Sometimes those will pop up and kill the spark, fuel pump, and other components. My car wouldn’t start and the windows wouldn’t go up. I checked that switch and depressed the little button on it and all was well.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by sandkauto
Check the inertia switch located in the passenger kick panel. Make sure that the button is depressed. Sometimes those will pop up and kill the spark, fuel pump, and other components. My car wouldn’t start and the windows wouldn’t go up. I checked that switch and depressed the little button on it and all was well.
where is that switch exactly located ? I have that problem, my windows don't go up either, all the fuses are good and everything I checked as the other member and still have the same outcomes.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 AM

It's behind the passanger side kick panel. There is an access hole in that panel. simply feel around for the switch and press the button in. Basically its on the inside portion of the lower right front door hinge - inside the car.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To the Owner of the Jag.
Did you ever get the problem sorted out? Mine is similar (not the same) so I am very interested in what you finally found out or did.
Thanks,
Ron