X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Radio Information after replacing battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Radio Information after replacing battery

I had to replace the battery in my car and since then I cannot get the radio detail on the display. It used to show the song, artist etc but now nothing. In reading the manual it suggests the signal is not strong enough. I live in Chicago and it always used to work. Does anyone know if there is a special way to reset the radio or is there some stupid configuration.setting I am missing? The radio/CD all work perfect but I do not get the information display any more.

Thanks

2004 X-Type 3.0 Sport

Old 12-11-2008, 10:11 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: No Radio Information after replacing battery

You need the radio unlock code (4 digit) It should be with your OM stuff, look for a credit card size card (Green) that has the code...The other thing you can do, is go to the dealer in person and they will find the code for you..but you must be in person..at least my dealer requires that.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I forget the initials exactly - but there is a button on the audio unit labeled "RDMB"? or something that switches the text display on and off. This setting my have been reset when you disconnected the power. If the radio is working, press and hold the RDMB button and the text display may come back.

If the radio and CD player are working OK - I don't think your unit is locked.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:59 PM

Thank you for the feedback, here is what I found out so far.

It does not appear that the radio is locked since it all works. Also I cannot find a way to enter an unlock code and my owners manual does not cover this.

According to the manual I need to get the radio into RBDS mode - per my manual I do this by holding the TA button more than two seconds (prior to the battery replacement this worked). Upon holding the button for at least one minute nothing happened

It also says I can hold the PTY button in, but that does not work as well

If I press the MODE button I am prompted for the usual - Bass, Treble, Balance and Fade.

If I hold the MODE button for an extended time it takes me to the clock set. I am never presented with the TA Volume and the other menu items.

It is almost as if the TA and PTY buttons no longer work. I will add that A-MEM buttom works fine. Since this one does I doubt it is a hardware problem with the button.

I am going to pull the fuse for the radio and let it lose its' memory and then try reprogramming.

It is amazing how accustomed I became to seeing the name of the song/artist/radio information. I feel like I am listing to the radio naked.... This is not a major issue but more a nuisance. I am sure when I figure it out I will feel like a fool who missed the obvious.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keith -

Keep us posted on your progress. The radio is known to have gremlins. Mine works perfectly - but one night I got back into the car - and although everything was working - I had no audio output - and the unit had lost its Bluetooth pairing to my phone. All I did was park the car for an hour.

I got home, parked the car in the garage for half an hour - and when I started the car again - the audio was back. All I had to do was restore the Bluetooth pairing.

It's never happened again, and I have no idea why ithappened the first time.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

will the artist and song read out thing work for the acm? for my ipod?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 AM

OK a little more information. I disconnected the battery for an overnight stint. When I connected everything back the Radio does work but still no display of the information. It seems as is the buttons TA and PTY do not work but the A MEM does. I am going to pull the radio out of the car this weekend and see if there is an issue with the buttons. I can hold them down for a long period of time and nothing happens, I can press the quickly and nothing happens. The only problem is the lack of radio information being displayed and the automatic volume does not work. Time will tell.

If anyone has had any relavations since this original post let me know.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

Turn ignition to on or start the engine, press the AM/FM button and eject button at the same time. The display should now read SET UP MODE. The number keys will select and toggle between selections. Just make sure you don't set the radio to EURO because AM will no longer be available and you WILL NEED a code if the radio is in EURO mode. One note though the radio doesn't usually lose its mind unless the battery has been disconnected for an extended period of time. I have had batteries disconnected for 2 or 3 days with no trouble, even presets are usually still there.

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (09-17-2011)
Old 01-27-2009, 05:21 PM

Real_Tech if you are ever in the Chicago area let me know, I owe you a beer, or three. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Mine was setup as USA No RBDS, I hit 1 on the number pad and it went to USA RBDS. I hit AM FM and lo and behold all the details are there. THANK YOU!!!! Are there any other configuration setting on the radio that are enabled via this 'feature'?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing of any importance. I think the level of the auto volume adjust feature is there and if you have an early model with cassette the self cleaning feature can be turned on and off. Just do it again and press different numbers to see exactly which features are on your particular radio. You would be surprised at how many X-type radios I've had to remove from EURO spec in the dealer. I think people just experiment and the next thing you know they are in EURO and cant figure out why the AM doesn't work even when the display says MW or LW instead.

I used to go to Chicago a lot but they closed the Jaguar school there so I go either to Toronto(cannonball rules!) or New Jersey.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Size:  6.0 KB

Good info there Real tech

I'm gonna FAQ this as there is a bit of info and it may help future members with similar probs.

FAQ'd

Jim

Old 01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: Real_Tech

Turn ignition to on or start the engine, press the AM/FM button and eject button at the same time. The display should now read SET UP MODE. The number keys will select and toggle between selections. Just make sure you don't set the radio to EURO because AM will no longer be available and you WILL NEED a code if the radio is in EURO mode. One note though the radio doesn't usually lose its mind unless the battery has been disconnected for an extended period of time. I have had batteries disconnected for 2 or 3 days with no trouble, even presets are usually still there.
WOW! I had NO idea. You rock RT.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:21 PM

Real_Tech - Sorry you don't get to Chicago, but if you ever do let me know, I will buy you a beverage of your choice.

Old 01-17-2023, 07:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Awesome

Really wonderful and useful information. It worked for me.
Thanks