Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 08-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Old 08-15-2006, 12:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ok, here it is..better this way

nice.. there is a setting somewhere in photobucket to have them automatically resize your pics for you. i forget where exactly but look around and you will find it.

did you get any sort of install instruction with the arden grille insert? i just got mine in the mail today, but i only got the inserts - nothing else. i took apart the spare grille i have, and i can see i have some cutting to do, but any info would really be appreciated.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Well thank you or the complement...

The radio process was your typical installation and I have one more cosmetic thing to do and that's to wrap leather around the radio surround frame to make it blend with the leather trim around the dash board....stay tuned for that....

So to answer your questions to the best of my abilities....

a) The new screen has many functions and I???ll try to take some more pictures of all it can do......mind you that Jag's unit doesn't even come close to the quality, functions, and overall capabilities of this new radio.

b) The entire lower part (radio and CD player) was replaced. Don't need it, but the old radio bracket was used to secure the new radio.

c) The screen is the radio. Or part of it. The entire radio fit's into the opening that the old radio used to sit in...For more info on the radio and what it can do, go here --------> http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...5218&langId=-1

There you will find the specs, instructions and much more...

d) The frame was made by my good friend using fiberglass and a mold he made. Once he made the frame, we painted it as close to the factory gray that we could find, but like I said, I will cover that part up in leather trim once I get it.....or another idea is to cover it with the Jag wood trim.....

The only functions I lost are the one on the steering wheel. I cannot use the wheel or mute or change station buttons. Little price to pay for the may other features I have....

I'll get more pictures out soon...

Hope I answered your questions....if not ask away...

________
VAPIR OXYGEN VAPORIZER

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

First, thanks for the info...love that wood trim look and I hope I can find one that will work with my new unit.....are they pre-cut or can I cut what I need? That picture is the same wood trim my dash is....wow, you know that guy? Can he help me?

I looked at the steering wheel company for the connectivity and like many other manufactures they don't have a thing for the jag....my radio is compatible with the system they sell, but no wire interface for the Jag! I may have to buy one for the BMW or a FORD model and make it work....like I did with my wires on the radio install.

I was like you, deciding what stereo to get when I decided to buy a Jag. When I talked to other owners with their Nav system, it was a mix of 50% saying that the extra 1500-2000 price was not worth it and they would not get it again, the other saying that they were happy because they had it...for the looks that is....

I wanted something useful... and this is where I was tossing in bed about......looks verses functions.....the Jag unit has the looks but no functions....nav screen/radio and that's it! The cheapest FORD has a radio plug that enables you to plug in your Ipod or any other MP3 player....you think a 30K + dollar Jag would have that interface??? And the interface that they sell is expensive and doesn't have any function to it...... I have a 60 gig Ipod with 10K songs....I want to listen to my music....Jag is not very interested in giving us what we want....and the wireless FM modulator is ok if you like static...

Long story short, I was trapped in that universe you mention and I think I saw you....I finally decided to escape and turn it into what I want.... The individualization part.....Now I have a radio that does everything I want it to do....and more....for a lot less then what Jag is selling their unit for. Now, I agree with you about watching TV or DVD movies while driving....first you can't because it's against the law...and second the unit has to be wired to the emergency brake and the brake engaged if you want to watch movies.....of course you can by-pass that.....but like today...just by chance, I was waiting for my kid to get done from her job as she was running late.....guess what, I got to watch a movie!!! Wow...

Anyway, that feature was a bonus.....I don't sit and watch TV. Or movies....(I???m here answering your questions... hahahahahaha)

the nav unit that comes with my radio...100% better than jag....no CD's to update or upload....something that jag sells for 200 dollars I think...this unit has free updates...and turn by turn voice telling you which way to go....(not sure if jag does that)

The satellite interface, like the Ipod, shows me what song/artist/station I am listening too....and what I can pick from...jag's 150 dollar interface does not.

I can't get enough of it...the SD card reader is also a bonus feature...load up my absolute top favorite cursing songs and I???m good to go....

Lots of features that jag doesn't offer for a 1/3 of the cost....

Sorry for boring your eyes out....got carried away...

I like the Laptop deal....but what's the theory behind it....? Surly you won't be using it while driving...kinda defeats your theory of watching a movie while driving? Heck, i have a spare laptop..toss some ideas my way...

Oh and to go to your next topic as to why i answered 40% of the questions....1) lots of time on my hands 2) done lots of work to my jag so i know the ins and outs....3) i want to see more performance parts for the jag....since there are none.....other than Arden's $1600 ECM upgrade...and i figured if i get more people involved,and i stay involved in making phone calls, asking questions and not letting a topic on performance die, we may see that turbo kit and exhaust upgrade that the 3.0L Mazda has for under 4K...... Nothing worse than getting your doors blow off by another stock 3L with less horse power......

________
PREGNANT REDHEAD

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, ok thanks again...I???ll try and get a hold of that guy and or company for the wood trim. (Good info, thanks again)

As for your diesel, you're kinda lucky....better fuel mileage and in some cases better performance. If you look on e-bay they have the diesel tuning box for your diesel jag, they claim some serious hp gains. It might be Arden, but I don't think so...

What I meant on the ECM upgrade was that I bought the one from Arden, and I think as of right now they are the only company that sells that performance upgrade for the x type. What you do is remove your ECM, fed-ex it to them, they reprogram it for performance...and mail it back to you....they claim and extra 35hp with a new exhaust. Once I got it, I did feel a difference...but, I would never do it again for that kind of money. Way to expensive for only 35 hp gain.
As for your diesel, you get the performance box that plugs right into your OBDII connector....

What made me buy the ECM upgrade from Arden is when I raced this kid in an Acura Tl (I think that's what it was) 2.5L, 200 hp and he blew me away......I took him off the line ....but he caught up and blew me away...I was really pissed...was going to trade it in that day for a Dodge SRT....wife wouldn't let me...

Only reason I anticipated the Nav system on the Jag is because the wife???s caddy had and it and it was a pain, insert this CD for this trip, insert another for the next and it was slow....too slow....geeez, using the regular map was easier...so i started asking around.....didn't want to make the same mistake twice.....saving the 2K to toss in on other upgrades was a bonus...

As for the steering controls, yeah your right the BMW is a completely different beast...I???ll have better luck on FORD products...maybe the ford 500, I???ll have to go and see the wiring on one...

oh, another project i'm working on is strut bar for the suspension.....once again, no company makes it for the jag. So i have the template, just need to do some welding and cutting.....
(You wouldn't know of anybody that has one already)

________
Prilosec Settlement Info

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

racerx82

you mind contacting at my email
i got some questions to ask you man
supralative@yahoo.com

looks really good
we got the same color Jag!!!!
i think i decided on 18in chrome wheels so it will go with the chrome trim here and there on the jag

Old 08-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

I hear ya, the current factory tires are going to get replaced real soon (17 inch and 25K miles) shows wear on the inside thread, appreantly this is a common problem with AWD cars and why it's important to rotate every 7-10K....which i have been doing! Anyway, looking for some good 18 inch rim and tires.....can't seem to find what i want right now.....not into chrome....(hard to keep clean...something carbon fiber, gun metal....make more tough looking....

anybody with any ideas??

________
blonde girl Webcam

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:22 PM

picking a set of wheels for a car is probably one of the most subjective things you can do. here are some good sites to check out:

www.tirerack.com

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/

http://www.custom-wheels-car-rims.com/ (this one has some really nice software you can download to let you see how the wheels will look on any car)

as far as tires, i swear by pirelli p zero tires. they are more than proven over the last few years. if you are going to go with 18" wheels, i would suggest 225/40/18 and the following:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=5

i have a set and i love them. nice grip, great tread pattern and very good ratings (up to 168mph). there are only 2 possible downsides to them i have found, and you will find this in most low profile tires, is that they have a higher than normal wear rating and they are not that great in the snow. i don't know where you live, but i live in ohio and we can have some pretty nasty winter weather. this was not a huge concern for me though. first, i would never even dream of running chrome rims in the winter due to all the salt that is used here. second, i have the factory wheels still. the factory tires were replaced with some continentals, and while they still have a good amount of tread left, i have never been a fan of them and they will more than likely be replaced when the snow comes. this gives you the best of both worlds - nice looking/good performance in the nicer months, factory wheels and some good snow tires to take advantage of the awd in the snow months.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. i live in Jersey so we get some snow, and the current factory tires (Continentals) just suck in the snow, i had no tracksion last year in 1 inch of snow....horrible...

I'll probably do what you plan on doing, get some real nice summer rims and tires (18 inch) and for the winter months, factory rims with good snow tires.....

Thanks again for the info!
________
Vaperizer reviews

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:22 PM

ECM = engine control module

stock 3L = 3 litre engine, no changes

OBDII = onboard diagnostic 2

Old 08-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks 9ball, appriciate you taking interest....
________
Nevada medical marijuana dispensary

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Fantastic! Thanks, I'll give'em a call!
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 06:44 AM.