X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owners Manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Owners Manual

quick question: Does anyone read their owners manual anymore?

I see so many questions on this forums about what does this button do, how do I do this, what does this light mean.....

just say'n

Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

This car is fairly complicated, and the manual (handbook) is quite good. Seems a shame to not read it.

Adding to the problem is, where do the manuals go? There are quite a few people who claim the manual is missing. what the heck?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

You're probably one of those guys that uses instructions to put stuff together and read their stereo manual.

Real men don't eat Quiche and we don't need no stinkin' manuals.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

ummmm is that a wagon i see in the picture? automatic transmission?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sport30
ummmm is that a wagon i see in the picture? automatic transmission?
Yup, sport model auto

Old 12-21-2010, 03:33 PM

I'm thinking of buying the Hyundai Equus, just to get the iPad owners manual

And yes I do ready instruction manuals.... i'm an engineer, and have learned over time, that reading the manuals may/may not add time, but it ensures that I am properly informed, and what ever I am playing with works right the first time, everytime..... at least that is the theory behind it.

All I have to say is I have seen 3-4 garage door programming issues in the last 2 months, when it is defined in the owners manual. My wife is not the most technical person in the world but she actually programed the home link on my kitty, using the instructions in the owners manual.

Just say'n

I am not sure where all of the owners manual end up.... but I do know I can find most all owners manuals on eBay.....

Last edited by Jaguardoc504; 12-21-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaguardoc504
I'm thinking of buying the Hyundai Equus, just to get the iPad owners manual

And yes I do ready instruction manuals.... i'm an engineer, and have learned over time, that reading the manuals may/may not add time, but it ensures that I am properly informed, and what ever I am playing with works right the first time, everytime..... at least that is the theory behind it.

All I have to say is I have seen 3-4 garage door programming issues in the last 2 months, when it is defined in the owners manual. My wife is not the most technical person in the world but she actually programed the home link on my kitty, using the instructions in the owners manual.

Just say'n

I am not sure where all of the owners manual end up.... but I do know I can find most all owners manuals on eBay.....
I actually have the factory manual in pristine condition in the original Jag wrapper. I read the manaul when I needed fuse locations and the dreaded garage door programming. I have a 6 year old garage door opener and to date have not been able to program the car. I can rebuild a motor but cant for the life of me get the garage door to open. Makes me feel inadequate.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
I read the manaul when I needed fuse locations and the dreaded garage door programming. I have a 6 year old garage door opener and to date have not been able to program the car. I can rebuild a motor but cant for the life of me get the garage door to open. Makes me feel inadequate.
Did you remember to sacrifice your cat to the god's of RF? Went through 4-5 cats before the programming took.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

Ha, Your car looks interesting, you need to post some pics. Dynamat would likely solve all my problems

Old 12-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  19.3 KB

Well I have to say guys, I read the manual when I get a new car....specifically so that if I post a question no one can say .....
READ THE FU***NG MANUAL ......lol

seriously though...the amount of times I've read through a manual and found some really cool features that you otherwise either wouldn't find or would find out like a year later!!
Like the guys that come on after owning the car 15 months saying, whats global open / close....do I have it and how does it work........Its ALL there in the manual

Old 12-22-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Ha, Your car looks interesting, you need to post some pics. Dynamat would likely solve all my problems
What problem solving do you speak of?

Old 12-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

What problem solving do you speak of?
rattles and buzzing from bass. I've got the premium with the sub. I must say the sound does not completely suck. Not window rattling bass but it will actually pound, but the amp is under powered and clips. But the dynamat would help in the doors, I have the bass at neutral just so the doors don't buzz.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

quick question: Does anyone read their owners manual anymore?

I see so many questions on this forums about what does this button do, how do I do this, what does this light mean.....

just say'n
Word on that!

Or how about posts about things that with a minimum of searching an answer could be found by the poster very easily (propshaft, vaccuum leaks, sqeaking in the rear of the car,etc.) because there are 1001 threads on those topics here through the years. Maybe next fall there should be a contest to see who posts first about "a strange sound under the car at exactly between 28-32 miles per hour and what could that be"? I know people are just looking for help, but at least do a LITTLE searching yourself before asking about something that has been beaten to death. It's not that hard and seems like the polite thing to do. Don't mean to sound like a Grinch, but when I see posts like that it just kind of bugs me. Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  19.3 KB

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Word on that!

Or how about posts about things that with a minimum of searching an answer could be found by the poster very easily (propshaft, vaccuum leaks, sqeaking in the rear of the car,etc.) because there are 1001 threads on those topics here through the years. Maybe next fall there should be a contest to see who posts first about "a strange sound under the car at exactly between 28-32 miles per hour and what could that be"? I know people are just looking for help, but at least do a LITTLE searching yourself before asking about something that has been beaten to death. It's not that hard and seems like the polite thing to do. Don't mean to sound like a Grinch, but when I see posts like that it just kind of bugs me. Merry Christmas to all!

I know Alfa, I know....BUT......as you know, we try to be as friendly a forum as possible ( unlike some others !! ) suck it up and hide those feelings away, and sily ask....how can we help

Its so worth if for that one guy that comes one and actually searches, finds the problems and then posts about it....lol

Merry Christmas to one n all

Old 12-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned

probably the truth lies in the middle... as always...

I cant tell if the absurdly harsh forums are worst or if this particular soft and gentle place is lower....

remember there mods.. you get what you ask for.. and if you make the place extreme... even extremely kind and loving.. you are still in a non standard place.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:28 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Word on that!

Searching for answers becomes a multi-edged sword (misnomer, I know). Searching a more common/chronic problem yields numerous posts. On many of these problems that have a definitive answer I find that lots of replies will take "hit/miss shots" at the problem, many of which are simply on the wrong track. This creates volumes of mis-information along with more accurate info. A good example is the P0171/174 vacuum leak on an X-Type. We all pretty much know the common fixes to these codes, and the question still comes up on the X forum probably 2/3 times a week, yet repliers still try to provide bizzarre possible solutions, one really bizzarre one just last week.

So, if the newcomer searched, he/she would find some very confusing info and probably have to ask anyway - "what is the real solution?" Out of an abundance of politeness along with forum rules (and, as it should be), none of us post that #x reply is wrong and my reply is right.

Last edited by steve11; 12-23-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I agree. And I wouldn't want to change anything about this forum or start railing on someone for asking a question. The members on here are accomodating to the extreme, at least compared to a few others I have surfed on a bit. Would never wnat it to be the reverse with all the f-bombs flying and name calling.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:53 PM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes, I agree with you too. I will take the time to answer the same question over and over again, seldom directing anyone to use the search function as the answer, because I know they'll likely be back shortly more confused. Yes, too on the demeanor of this forum. I don't have a lot of experience with other sites, but just occasionally cruising on them...I agree with you.