X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking brake

The parking brake doesn,t hold very good ,how can I tighten it?
dwclapp do you have any pictures of how to adjust it.My Jag is
2004 X type. 2.5 Thanks for the tips

Old 06-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Ronnie, the e-brake is self adjusting. So, if you pull the lever all the way up and then back down a few time (say 5-10), it should reach a point where it will only come up part way and then get really hard. If it doesn't do that, then you most likely have an e-brake lever that is stuck and one side is not adjusting. This will then require a new caliper or rebuilding the caliper to get ride of the corrosion on the operating shaft for the e-brake lever.

If you need more info, let me know. I know the calipers all too well as I have torn quite a few apart.

The following users liked this post:
RonnieJoe (06-16-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 04:54 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

RonnieJoe: A couple years ago, I followed Thermo's instructions and unstuck (if that's a word) both e-brakes on my 2002 X-Type. Fortunately, I didn't have to remove the calibers and do a full rebuild.

See if this works on your X-Type:
1) Drive the rear tires up on ramps, or jack-up the rear and support it with jack stands
2) Put blocks under the front tires so the car can't roll, and release the e-brake
3) Slide under the rear bumper and look at both rear brake calipers
4) You should see atop each caliber a ~2 inch e-brake lever that rotates down and towards the front of the car when you pull up on the parking brake handle, which puts tension on the brake cable. When you release the brake handle & brake cable, a spring is supposed to rotate the e-brake lever up and backwards, towards the rear bumper.
5) However, the e-bake levers on my X-Type didn't turn smoothly & easily, so the springs couldn't rotate them back to the stops after the cable was released. See the attached pictures of a lever stuck in the middle, even though the cable has been released.

parking brake-jaguar-x-type-e-brake.jpg parking brake-jaguar-x-type-e-brake1.jpg

6) I tried rotating the levers manually while squirting WD40 on them, but they remained stiff. Can't fault someone for trying the easy fix first!
7) When that didn't work, I removed the spring, unscrewed the Torx screw in the center of the lever, and used a flat blade screwdriver to gently pry under the lever, which is press fit onto the shaft. It comes off with minimal pressure under it.
8) Under the lever is a thin rubber washer, which I gently removed using a small flat blade screwdriver.
9) The grease under the rubber washer was so dry it, cracked and crumbled when I scrapped it off.
10) I applied some fresh grease, put the washer and lever back on, manually rotated it a few times, and the lever began rotating more easily.
11) Reassembled the spring, and it has worked nicely for 2 years now.

Hopefully your e-brakes are as easy to fix. If not, Thermo's full rebuild may be what you need.

Good luck

Old 07-17-2020, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Ronnie, the e-brake is self adjusting. So, if you pull the lever all the way up and then back down a few time (say 5-10), it should reach a point where it will only come up part way and then get really hard. If it doesn't do that, then you most likely have an e-brake lever that is stuck and one side is not adjusting. This will then require a new caliper or rebuilding the caliper to get ride of the corrosion on the operating shaft for the e-brake lever.

If you need more info, let me know. I know the calipers all too well as I have torn quite a few apart.
Thermo, yeah I'd like as much infor about the parking brake and caliper as you care to share. The brake isn't working. I don't care except I'd like to get the brake light on my dash to go away. There's also a squeaking sound that comes from that wheel...drivers side rear.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Rodney, check out: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fix-1-a-73065/

That should have all the info that you seek. If you still have a question, then let me know and we can handle it at that point.