X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking light question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default parking light question

Can somebody tell me if I were to replace my parking light (small bulb next to high beam), what kind of size do I look for? Is it h1?

p/s: I changed my low beam to 7000k and fog to 6000k, I'm looking for non-yellow parking light so the composition doesn't look weird. I don't mind if the bulb is blue tinted.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 AM

Try looking on e-bay for LED sidelights, there is loads to choose from, and compliment the white light of the HID kits, dont go for a blue though, coz with led's blue IS blue,,,,,, Pick a WHITE set, and you'll not go far wrong

The following users liked this post:
tzhyang (03-24-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by mike77
Try looking on e-bay for LED sidelights, there is loads to choose from, and compliment the white light of the HID kits, dont go for a blue though, coz with led's blue IS blue,,,,,, Pick a WHITE set, and you'll not go far wrong
T10 168 2825 Hype White LED Front Parking Light Bulbs - eBay (item 170610365758 end time Mar-31-11 16:41:47 PDT)

is this what I suppose to be looking for? "Type 2825"? Again, Thanks.

I heard about led melts, does anyone know what is that all about?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

TYpe 2825 bulbs are also 194 bulbs. The white LED bulbs are the same as 7000K HID bulbs. So, they will have a slight blue tint to them. If you have any questions about the LED lights, let me know. I deal with LEDs all the time and can probably answer your question.

tzhyang (03-24-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
TYpe 2825 bulbs are also 194 bulbs. The white LED bulbs are the same as 7000K HID bulbs. So, they will have a slight blue tint to them. If you have any questions about the LED lights, let me know. I deal with LEDs all the time and can probably answer your question.
Kinda dig out some old post that has the information I needed, you are right, 2825 194 w5w.... its kinda confusing.

One more question, my hid are blinking and the color on the left is bluer and its white on the right. It is kind of similar to problem below:

xenon lowbeam headlights blinking - E46Fanatics

I understand how the bad carrier affects the blinking and the color, I just do not know what is "bulb carrier", are they part of bulb or part of headlight assembly, most importantly, are they expensive?

Thanks.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I've always used v-leds.com for my leds can they have always been great! but yes as thermo said use a 194 bulb.

tzhyang (03-24-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Veteran member

tzhyang, carrier? I think you are referring to the ballasts. I could see where you might get carrier if you are referring to the piece that houses both the ignitor and the DC power supply (aka, ballast). Granted, reading the article, it sounds like they are referring to a metal ring inside the headlight housing that is the ground spot for the bulb therefore they only need a single wire to power the HID bulb.

Our cars do not have a carrier (assuming it is the metal ring). Our bulbs are powered directly from the ballast which is mounted inside the headlight housing. So, I would venture to guess that your problem is caused by either a ground wire starting to develop a high resistance or the power wire is starting to have issues (developing a high resistance). Either thing will cause the voltage across the ballast to get lower, leading to funky indications with the lights. Most of the time it simply shows up as a bulb flashing since you are loosing the arc inside the HID bulb which results in the bulb turning off but then the low voltage condition clears and there is enough plasma left in the bulb that the arc can reform.

The ground wire goes to the body of the car right under the headlight fixture.

tzhyang (03-24-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
I've always used v-leds.com for my leds can they have always been great! but yes as thermo said use a 194 bulb.
yup, already ordered from v-leds. this is what I got, hope its gonna look good with my hid =D

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...-p9454124.html

Last edited by tzhyang; 03-24-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
tzhyang, carrier? I think you are referring to the ballasts. I could see where you might get carrier if you are referring to the piece that houses both the ignitor and the DC power supply (aka, ballast). Granted, reading the article, it sounds like they are referring to a metal ring inside the headlight housing that is the ground spot for the bulb therefore they only need a single wire to power the HID bulb.

Our cars do not have a carrier (assuming it is the metal ring). Our bulbs are powered directly from the ballast which is mounted inside the headlight housing. So, I would venture to guess that your problem is caused by either a ground wire starting to develop a high resistance or the power wire is starting to have issues (developing a high resistance). Either thing will cause the voltage across the ballast to get lower, leading to funky indications with the lights. Most of the time it simply shows up as a bulb flashing since you are loosing the arc inside the HID bulb which results in the bulb turning off but then the low voltage condition clears and there is enough plasma left in the bulb that the arc can reform.

The ground wire goes to the body of the car right under the headlight fixture.
Actually the guy who fix my hid said that he will fix the problem next week when I go back to do my fogs. I just curious what is going on. I had the same problem even when Im running with stock bulbs (non hid), because they are yellowish, they are not that obvious. So now that I know it could caused by the high resistance of the ground wire or power wire, I know things better if they mechanic trying to screw with me. Thank you Chris.

If you don't mind, would you explain to me what causes these resistance?

When you said "are loosing the arc inside the HID bulb which results in the bulb turning off but then the low voltage condition clears and there is enough plasma left in the bulb that the arc can reform."
Is that meaning the left bluer bulb gets more power than the right white(both are 7000k zantec kit that comes in a pair)?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

Tan, think about what wiring inside of a vehicle is. Wiring is nothing more than a conductive metal wrapped inside of an insulated shield. As metal is exposed to weather, it rusts (some metals rust faster than others, but all metals rust). The rust is not as conductive (in the case of copper) and therefore you end up with effectively a smaller wire. A smaller wire can't flow as much electricity (think of trying to fill a swimming pool, you want to fill it with a garden hose or a fire hose?). In the case of electricity, this will cause a restriction and therefore a voltage drop. Since the voltage in your car is constant, if the wiring is dropping some of the voltage, less voltage is left for what the wiring is running to.

Also, as you bend metal, it will tend to weaken due to the metal undergoing fatigue. If you bend it enough times, it will actually break. Every time you hit a bump in your car, the wiring is subjected to a wiggle/movement. Sometimes a wire will not be properly restrained and it will be subject to too much movement. This will lead to the wiring failing some where along its run (even under the insulation). In a lot of cases, as the wiring is about to fail completely or has just failed, the insulation of the wiring will be enough to keep the broken ends in contact with each other, but any sort of wiggle to the wire is enough to make the 2 ends come apart. When the ends come apart, electricity can't flow any more and power is removed to the item it is powering.

As for how lower voltage can affect an HID, you have to know what the circuitry inside the ballast is wired up like and what components they are using to get a good feeling for that (or lots of experience with a single manufacturer). All that I can tell you is to break out a multimeter and measure the 12 VDC side of the ballast and see which side is getting the higher voltage. DO NOT!!!!!!!!!! measure the bulb side of the ballast. DO NOT!!!!!!!!! Most multimeters can not handle the voltage that the ballast can output which if you are lucky will simply result in damage to the multimeter. Worst things can happen. The ballast is capable of outputting up to 23000 volts at times. So, unless you are very familiar with HID components, use the bulb to tell you if you have power or not.

tzhyang (03-26-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Now I really get a good understanding on this. thanks.