X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance parts

Old 06-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default performance parts

Hello,

What is the best source for performance parts for the X type? I.E. beefed up anti-sway bars, strut tower braces, etc?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 06-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

You wont find any of those "for" an X-type. Read through this thread, some good info there. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...es-mods-95800/

Old 06-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Unhappy

Bummer. Not much of a concern right now as I'm busy enough having fun getting used to my first manual transmission. And my wife will be pleased that there is less to spend money on I suppose. But thats a shame overall, even my Volvo V70 wagon has such things available!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 PM

@Justink201

Thanks for linking that thread, its already helped me see a couple of places for side view mirror covers (my car came with one missing).

Old 06-18-2013, 08:36 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Most of the changes that people have made to their X-Types have involved appearance changes; larger wheels, lowered suspension, late model grill, blacked out side lights, de-chroming the car, etc. As others have said, there isn't much you can do, performance wise, considering the weaknesses of the transmission and AWD system.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM

@pab

My interest laid mostly in handling and braking improvements over stock. My family has a small weekend place in Northwestern MA and there are a lot of windy hilly roads. On my 2000 Volvo V70 wagon I was able to get nice upgrades in this regard with sway bars and a strut tower brace from ipd. I went with EBC brakes for the Volvo.

I see I can go with EBC brakes on the X-Type when the time comes at least.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM

You can also get some slotted and drilled rotors, and there are stainless steel rake lines out there.. I'm actually looking into using ford focus/mazda 3/Volvo s40 aftermarket suspension parts on the x type as they share the same front and rear suspensions/subframes. That's why I said you wont find them "for" the x type. Like the short shifter I have on my car, its for an 04 ford mondeo, but bolted right in, no problem. The thing is, no one has tried to use the ford/mazda/Volvo parts yet, other than the adjustable upper rear control arm. If you are serous about getting your x type to handle better, get some KW coilovers. I LOVE mine. They got rid of some of the understeer, but not all. Keep in mind though that the rears are NOT hight adjustable, but they sit lower than any of the other aftermarket lowering springs. In a few months I'm hoping I can start buying more parts so I'll be posting threads about upgrades that will fit...and hopefully not posting about how I just blew hundreds on a part that doesn't haha.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

ausfalcon, there is really no need for a strut brace as the X-Types body is already significantly stiffened compared to many other vehicles (article I read said it is like 60% stiffer than the Ford Mondeo and other related cars). So, the need for that is kinda out of the question. Granted, I would say that if you are looking for something, check out the same year Focus and/or Mazda 3 and do some comparison. You may find that those parts will work for you straight out of the box or may require very minimal modification. As for sway bars, again, do some looking and I am sure you can get something bigger and better, but the X-Type already has upgraded swaybars and whatnot.

You want something to make the X-Type better, do research into what it takes to make the transfer case handle more power. You figure that out, the you can have something that will be a track killer since you will be able to bump up the power from the engine and have something that most people will see as being stock and will blow their doors off.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:31 AM

So what stage KW coilovers do you have? I usually like to run Bilsteins in my cars when the time comes to do suspension work.

I'm surprised no one has not already experimented with sway bars etc. (whether we generally need the upgrade in practical terms or not). I'd be apprehensive to order something and then find I am not be able to actually use it. Are there any resources out there to increase confidence that the geometry of parts for one of these "cousin cars" as it were might work?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:33 AM

Also what short shifter did you end up ordering and from where? I know you said it was for a Mondeo but would be curious if you had more specifics or a link for it.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:46 PM

I remember reading about someone who had some custom bars made, but they cost a lot and the front bar didn't fit that well. I think no one has tried other parts because they just don't want to risk wasting the money if they don't fit right, or modifying things to make them fit. I plan on taking the risk. I have the variant 1 KWs, as that's all they make for the x type, and they are the only company that actually makes them for the x type. Bilsteins are great, but after buying those and a set of lowering springs it costs about as much as the KWs so I went with them. Heres a link to the exact shifter I bought, and from the same place I bought it from. Racing Short Shifter Ford Focus Contour Mondeo Free Knob 01 06 Strong Shaft 1 | eBay
Its a nice piece, shorter throws, but not crazy short like I was hoping. It does feel a LOT better though than the stock shifter. The reverse lockout doesn't really work though, but I'm almost positive its because I didn't install the block correctly, and I actually like it better without the lockout. Bolted right in and works just fine in my 04.