X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly Buying an X-Type

Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly Buying an X-Type

Hello all. I am looking into getting an X-Type. How well does it handle in the snow? I know of the problems with the transfer case, are there any other common problems with it? How is the MPG?
Thanks

Old 06-04-2012, 12:43 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Well there are many answers to that question...

But other than the Transfer case these cars seem pretty reliable. That said, however, the cars seem to be prone to vacuum leaks around the intake and while not complex to fix seem to be pretty futzy to repair. Replacement parts and repairs are as expensive as you would expect for a premium European automobile.

As for handling in snow, they're pretty good since they're AWD. However, some are better than others. The AWD was redesigned around 2003/4 and the fluid coupled transfer case was replaced with an open design. To avoid useless spinning of one wheel that would result from that open design Jaguar uses traction control to apply braking to the spinning wheel allowing torque to be routed to a non-slipping wheel. The problem is, as I understand things, that the early designs were weak and the transfer cases failed. That means you want to be very careful in looking at an early X-Type.

Also, not all later X-Types came with tracking control, so you should probably shop for one with it.

Other than that, the regular advice holds, that is, look for one with the fewest miles, that was well taken car of, and try to locate a dependable repair shop. Put $ aside for repairs ahead of buying a car, etc.

Good luck and keep us informed on your search.

Oh, one more thing, there seem to be a lot of them in south Florida, so if you're anywhere nearby, there may be good hunting...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 06-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

my 02 x type (with the viscous coupling) handles like a dream in the snow. With snow tires on, I can go farther than most lifted trucks because of the stability control system. I would really recommend this car, but the only thing is that these are reaaaaaally great cars if they have been maintained, yet if they haven't been maintained you will get a domino effect of problems. I looked at mine and knew what I needed and got my 02 sport 3.0 5spd for $5700 with 104k miles.

Lots of repairs can be time consuming, but using this forum as a guide, I haven't had to take my car to a shop for anything which has saved me a lot of money.

Here's my maintenance sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&output=html

Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both our X-Types were tanks in the snow.
In one snowstorm, the plow had cleared the center of the street and snow was up the center of the windows. Shoveled out the driver's door, started it, turned the wheel and stepped on the gas, and it punched right out.

Due to life circumstances, I had to trade it for a Jeep. I really wish I still had it. If they still made it, I would have bought another one this year.
Put a set of Continental DWS tires on it, and it'll be the perfect all season car.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking into buying an X type I urge you to look into the Transmission problems that they are proned for. I have an 02 X Type and the car is in mint condition. Always serviced by Jaguar, and has had all of the recalls repaired. Right now I"m looking at a full Transmission replacement ($8000)... When I've asked why this happened, everyone answers that the cars are nitorious for transmission problems, regardless of how well you drive it or how well you treat it.