X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley noise, is there one common one that goes bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulley noise, is there one common one that goes bad?

Hi, Ive started getting a vibrating/ratting noise at idle. It sounds like a pulley bearing going bad but i cant spot where its coming from... Just wanted to check of there was one that commonly went bad so i could start from there. thanks

Old 04-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matl
Hi, Ive started getting a vibrating/ratting noise at idle. It sounds like a pulley bearing going bad but i cant spot where its coming from... Just wanted to check of there was one that commonly went bad so i could start from there. thanks

YES there is! Lift the bonnet to the right side of the engine as you stand in front (your right) between the rear of the radiator and the enging is a small pulley idler and tensioner. The pulley doesn't do anything other than tension the drive belt for the water pump and whatever else is on that belt.

I had mine 'go' literally... I'd had a noise that I couldn't trace... then one day on my way home from work it literally 'flew apart' as I was burning off a beemer... the beemer would have been left waaaayy behind had my pulley not gone at this stage.

It is a sealed for life bearing in the pulley and while they don't often go, it is in essence a long life, but service item... not expensive to replace... the whole pulley/tensioner assembly. Tho if you're like me you might like to see if a local bearing outlet can press out the old bearing and press in a new one... it would have to be a standard size.

Mike

Old 04-24-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mike S
YES there is! Lift the bonnet to the right side of the engine as you stand in front (your right) between the rear of the radiator and the enging is a small pulley idler and tensioner. The pulley doesn't do anything other than tension the drive belt for the water pump and whatever else is on that belt.

I had mine 'go' literally... I'd had a noise that I couldn't trace... then one day on my way home from work it literally 'flew apart' as I was burning off a beemer... the beemer would have been left waaaayy behind had my pulley not gone at this stage.

It is a sealed for life bearing in the pulley and while they don't often go, it is in essence a long life, but service item... not expensive to replace... the whole pulley/tensioner assembly. Tho if you're like me you might like to see if a local bearing outlet can press out the old bearing and press in a new one... it would have to be a standard size.

Mike
Awesome! I will start there, i actually just replaced my water pump a month ago so i know what youre talking about. I was worried it was one of the pullies on the left of the motor which are hard to access.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:31 PM

So unfortunately that was not the source of the noise. Its coming from the left side of the engine bay and its very hard to narrow down, but I think it may have something to do with the AC since the noise is more predominant when its on. Any ideas? thanks

Old 05-12-2010, 09:03 PM

any suggestions?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Check the idler pulley next ($15 part). Find your belt diagram in the Vehicle Specification Document. Those have a tendency to go as well. Gets more stress when the A/C is engaged, so don't rule it out based on the A/C usage.

After that, not too many pulleys left...power steering pump and your A/C compressor. At least you're narrowing down starting with the cheaper ones.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 PM

Awesome thank you, I will check that out next and keep you posted

Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another Possibility

THe 03 X Type I used to own developed a noise like this. I thought it was a pulley going bad - rattling at idle. Took it to my dealer, and, they found the noise. My torque convertor flex plate was coming loose. Took them less than 4 hours to fix it.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Oldengineer
THe 03 X Type I used to own developed a noise like this. I thought it was a pulley going bad - rattling at idle. Took it to my dealer, and, they found the noise. My torque convertor flex plate was coming loose. Took them less than 4 hours to fix it.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Damn that sounds expensive... how much do they run???

Old 05-14-2010, 06:23 PM

FYI i just had a used transfer case put in maybe 3k miles before this noise started, any correlation?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As quick as they fixed it, I suspect all they did was take off the torque convertor inspection cover and re-torque the bolts. Didn't cost me anything - warranty covered it Anyway it fixed the rattle for good.

Regards:
Oldengineer