Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning Light

Hi all

While I was driving the wife’s car at the weekend the engine management light came on and the glow plug light was flashing.

Is this a big problem and some thing she should be worried about?

Thanks Brendan

Old 01-11-2010, 04:28 PM

It may help if I let you know it’s a 2.2 diesel on a late 2005 plate

Thanks in advance Brendan

Old 01-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Jenson, can't say for sure as I'm not a tech, but, as a diesel driver for the past 20+ years.......
I'd assume that if the glow plug warning light is on that there will be a problem with the glow plugs.
Have you had problems starting the car recently? Especially on the colder winter mornings??
You say its the wifes car and alarm bells start to go off - by that I mean I've had more than a few diesels ( Ford Mondeo ST Tdci, Vauxhall Astra 1.7Cdti and A vw Passat 1.9Tdi etc etc) that have been driven by my wife.
I've had to explain repeatedly about the importance of turning the ignition to the ON position and waiting for the glow plug light to go out prior to actually starting the vehicle.

Does your wife go through this procedure or just turn the key and start the car??

If it is the glow plugs, get them replaced sooner rather than later as they are an integral part of the start up procedure for a diesel engine...

I hope someone can clarify or point you in another direction if needed and you get the problem resolved asap Jenson

Old 01-12-2010, 04:57 AM

Thanks Jim

The x type is indeed the wife’s car and it was here choice to my amazement as all the jags I have had in the past she has not really liked any of them.

Every morning during this cold spell I start mine and hers and clear the ice and snow of them ( she’s always been spoilt ) and I have to say I always just turn the key and start them.

As I have never waited for the glow plug with of my diesels for fourteen years

This is the first diesel car she has had and have been waiting for the day when she puts petrol in it.

The car is now four year old and has not missed a beat that’s why she has kept it so long and it only has 33K on the clock and believe you me that’s star ship mileage for her.

I can do that in a good year just during the week as I have a weekend car.

I will wait and see if any one posts but I think she has gone out in it today now the show has cleared a bit more.

Thank Brendan

Old 05-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Default Me too - can anyone help?

Hi all,

First post on this site - just signed up when I saw Brendan's post. I have the same problem. Engine malfunction light comes on and then the glow plugs light start flashing as well after a couple of miles driving.

X-Type 2.2D on a 55 plate.

Keen to find out how you resolved this Brendan - or anyone else for that matter.

Regards,

Dave

Old 05-12-2010, 03:56 AM
Unhappy flashing glow plug

had same problem on my 2004 2.0lt D
garage (jag independant) have had it for over a week and still no fix
did you sort yours?
Also do you know why handbook says ONLY jag dealers to replace glow plug fuse (under the bonnet fuse box)

Old 05-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Unhappy Flashing Glow Plug Light and (non flashing) Engine Malfunction Light

OK,

Bit of an update. Called out the AA who ran a diagnostic. Codes were:

P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit low
P0405+ Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit low (duplicate)
P0409 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit

Just had it in for a service at Kwik-Fit who confirmed the codes and advised that I need a new Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve. The guy is gonna get back to me with a quote.

For info the EML light is on all the time but when the glow plugs light starts flashing it goes into limp home mode - a complete pain.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Old 05-15-2010, 04:32 AM

thanks for the info mines been checked and cleaned all ok .Hope im not teaching you to suck eggs but did you know you can disconnect the egr valve i think on your 2.2 you have to allow a small hole in the blanking plate and i have the email address of someone who makes em.there is a thread on here to tell you how to do it .You could blank it off and see if that stops the car going into limp mode a real pain best wishes trev