X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on 2008 X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on 2008 X-Type

I'm looking at a 2008 X-Type 3.0. I've seen a few review sites say that the cars have reliability issues. I thought I would come here and find out from those that know best....the actual owners. Any info you guys could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,924 Likes on 3,223 Posts

johnnyutah, the "driveability issues" normally refer to the transfer case. it is the weak link of these cars. So, if you are looking for something to zoom from light to light, this is going to be an expensive car to own as you will more than likely be replacing transfer cases every 30K miles to the tune of $3000 a transfer case. If you are looking for something to get out on the highway and cruise, then this can be a very nice car.

The other issues that most of us suffer from are the vacuum leaks. But, these are well documented and all easy to fix even if you only have average mechanical ability.

Another thing that I would make sure of with the year car that you are looking at is that it comes with DSC (dynamic stability control). That year transfer case has an open differential in the transfer case and requires the DSC to truely give you AWD. Being that you are in the snowbelt, that is going to be a big thing to ensure. I find my X-Type very stable in the snow and very controllable even when pushing the limits and driving it sideways on ice covered roads.

If you have other questions, just ask. As you can see, I will call things as I see them.

The following users liked this post:
johnnyutah (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 543 Likes on 355 Posts

I've had my 2.5 Auto X Type since new in 2005 and have done over 60k mils since then. It gets meticulously serviced by me, including transfer box oil changes.

Only significant faults have been one O2 sensor and a battery failure after 7 years. It's never let me down and looks as good as new. Passengers are frequently in admiration of the interior quality and the overall comfort.

I would recommend a (well maintained) X Type to anyone with discerning taste!!

johnnyutah (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Probably most of the negative reviews you have seen were more due to early cars. By 2008 the early teething issues were long ago sorted out. Like Thermo said, transfer case is probably the weak link, but driven like an adult and you change the fluid you will be fine. Other than that, you buy a cared for 2008 you will have a great car.

johnnyutah (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 PM

So, the listing says the car has traction control. How do I know if it is DSC?

Old 04-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Old 04-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the options listing on your link is correct and is not just a generic list of options then the car does have DSC. Listed under the safety features. I'm sure there are members that could just look at a pic of the car and tell you for sure. Nice color.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
johnnyutah, the "driveability issues" normally refer to the transfer case. it is the weak link of these cars. So, if you are looking for something to zoom from light to light, this is going to be an expensive car to own as you will more than likely be replacing transfer cases every 30K miles to the tune of $3000 a transfer case. If you are looking for something to get out on the highway and cruise, then this can be a very nice car.

The other issues that most of us suffer from are the vacuum leaks. But, these are well documented and all easy to fix even if you only have average mechanical ability.

Another thing that I would make sure of with the year car that you are looking at is that it comes with DSC (dynamic stability control). That year transfer case has an open differential in the transfer case and requires the DSC to truely give you AWD. Being that you are in the snowbelt, that is going to be a big thing to ensure. I find my X-Type very stable in the snow and very controllable even when pushing the limits and driving it sideways on ice covered roads.

If you have other questions, just ask. As you can see, I will call things as I see them.
Is there any negative to having the X-type with DSC? What are the positives and negatives to having DSC system on your X-type?
Thanks

Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyutah
Yes your car has DSC. The button in the center just below the J-gate and above your cupholders the with icon of a car sliding, says you have DSC.

johnnyutah (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 PM

Think I'll test drive it Thursday if they still have it.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 166 Posts

Johnny, I live in Salt Lake and have an '07. have been happy with it. No problems. I just make sure it it maintained.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Yup, one of the pictures on that site shows the DSC button near the shifter.

You're good to go.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Very nice car!! I don't know what your used to driving but you will love this car, they grow on you. When you put on tires or ruin a tire after they are worn down to minimum you SHOULD put on all four of the same size and tread depth within 3% or on dry hard surfaces you could heat up your transfer case unless the 08 has changed the geometry. AWD is different than FOURWD.If you put a set of BLIZZACS on in the winter you can go anywhere unless you hang up, Happy motoring!!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

The 2004 and later models are not as unstoppable as the earlier ones because Jag removed the viscous coupling in the transfer case at that point. Most if not almost all the later models had DSC to compensate for it.

An AWD X-Type without VC or DSC can get stuck fairly easily, there's a guy at the Finnish Jag forum who's got one. He ordered it in 2003 without DSC as he thought it still has the VC, but he got a 2004 spec car instead so then it had neither.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,924 Likes on 3,223 Posts

JaguarXKR, the way the DSC works, it functions by 2 different methods. For minor traction issues, it applies the brakes slightly to load up the wheel to minimize wheel speed. But, if excessive traction loss is detected, then the motor power is limited. Depending on how you were taught to drive, you may find that the motor becoming limited in power can be frustrating. If you turn the DSC off, if you have a severe loss of traction, then you are pretty much left to single wheel drive. Where the 03 and earlier cars had the viscous coupling in the transfer case and would always garantee power to 1 front wheel and 1 rear wheel under all conditions. This would help with traction regardless of whether the optional DSC was on or not.

So, is the later redesigned transfer case a problem, depends on how you were taught to drive. Me, it would drive me nuts. But then, I was taught a way to get through adverse conditions and a newer transfer case would make my way of getting through very tough.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

It would be nice if you can beat them up a little on the price, it is at the far edge of a bit high - but not out of line completely.

If you do indeed buy it, make sure you get:

1) A COMPREHENSIVE WARRANTY, and
2) EXTRA KEYS!!! (One more remote, and TWO "Valet" keys)

And when you do the paperwork, spring for a personalized plate!

Best 'o luck, and Happy Motoring.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:18 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>1) A COMPREHENSIVE WARRANTY, and

I've had a Ford Premium Care plan for the last 2 years:
Personalized Vehicle Owner Information

It has been excellent. Your car should still be covered. Talk to your local Ford dealer. Give them the VIN and their system can determine the rest.

Won't be cheap. I paid $3200 for a 3/36 plan in July '11. Haven't come close to covering the amount I paid, but time is not up yet. However, the coverage is complete, they even paid to replace one of my headlight units when the adjusters broke (otherwise a $600 bill).

Actually before you buy the car, get the VIN and contact a Ford dealer. As I said they will be able to immediately determine if that car can be covered. If Ford declines then there may be some "issues" with the car.

Did you get the Carfax on it?
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons