X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R.I.P my 04 cat

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 12:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default R.I.P my 04 cat

lost her to a idiot on the wrong side of the road.....got my drivers side about half way down the car. totaled............

2004 xtype 2.5 manual

so im heart broke.......

can't figure out what could replace her.

i found a add for the same exact car just different colors
figured i could use the old one for parts and get something back out of it. but when i callled the guy said he already sold it. so that crushed that dream......

i found i 1985 XJ6 for pennies but the wife harped in sure it would nickle and dime me getting something that old..........oh well was a nice body

anyway........got any suggestions on a replacement?

note im on the east coast and finding another 5 speed cat around here is just looking darn near impossible.....

how hard would it be for me to swap my 5 speed into a auto?

is there any other models/years that i could use parts from?

i don't know.....just looking for some suggestions.

oh i saw a 2007 xtype wagon auto trans 3.0 think i can use any parts for that?

Old 09-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I am very sorry for your loss...

When I was looking for my car it had to be BRG with a manual transmission. I signed up on the used car listing sights. They sent me emails when a car matching my needs was listed. After 3 months I bought my car out of LA. Paid a bit too much, but shipping to Cleveland was only $700. The car spent most of its life in Las Vegas and has NO RUST at all. Something us northers don't see in cars.

Don't give up hope on finding the right X for you.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

8pockets8, sorry to hear that you lost the kitty. I guess I need to start with asking what you are looking to spend and what features you "must have" and would would be nice.

If you are after AWD, then you don't have a lot of other choices in the jaguar line unless you are willing to go fairly new (ie, 2013 or newer).

How much are you willing to spend on a new (to you) vehicle? If you are willing to go into the $20K range, you can get a good 2011/2012 XF and have a much nicer car than the X-Type could ever be. You can even potentially look at say a 2009/2010 XF and be under $20K.

Unfortunately, if you are wanting a manual, that is going to severely restrict what you are going to find out there. As for swapping a manual tranny into one that already has the auto, you are going to find that it is going to be an interesting swap. It isn't a simple "drop one tranny, put in the other and then add the pedal". You will also end up having to swap out the tranny/ABS computer to make the car accept the manual tranny and you will also need to fiddle with the wiring harness to get the back up lights to work properly (on the auto, the lights are controlled by the instrument cluster, on a manual, there is a switch in the top of the tranny that is actuated by the internals of the tranny).

Let me know what you are desiring and maybe I can give you a thought or two that you hadn't considered. I do like my 2012 XJ. If I want to "manually shift" the car, I simply put it into Sport Mode and use the paddle shifters to bang through the gears. Otherwise, I sit back and enjoy the creature comforts of the car. I believe the XJ has the same sort of feature to allow you to electronically shift the car when desired.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:37 PM

With you still having your old car you do have 99.9% of every part to do the swap to manual. Do you have the space, tools, time and ability to do the swap? I would think it would be about the same as swapping a motor....many have done this.

There a gain nice southern rust free car will be a lot less work getting the parts off.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:21 AM

well i paid about $4000 for my last one about 5 months ago......so i dont really want to go over for a replacement i'm not set on the manual but i do prefer. i think it gives the driving experience a more desirable.

for me anyway.

as far as swapping everything.......never done a task of that size before.....but at this point what do i got to loose?

space? i dont know is my driveway big enough? lol

Old 09-07-2016, 06:45 PM

so i found a 2005 JAGUAR X-TYPE SPORT 3.0 automatic

its about a 2 hour drive to go check it out...

would i have any compatible parts on my old that i could use on the new?

i'm figuring since its the 3.0 i will probably lose out on some

any thoughts?

yay or nay? lol

Old 09-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Actually, the 2.5L and 3.0L motors are the same block. The difference is in the crank and the shape of the pistons. So, a lot of the parts are going to transfer over. Besides, the interior is a direct match except for the few upgrades that they did in 2004. Even then, a lot of them are reversible and you can use either one (old or new). The only things that may not play well are things like the ECU, TCM and the other computers. Jaguar went with a new way of running the car and this makes for some interesting problems if you get the wrong parts together.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:53 AM

cool thanks for the info guys

Old 09-13-2016, 05:06 PM

So what did you do???? It's not EZ to sleep at night without the rest of the story.....

Old 10-03-2016, 10:13 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

8pockets8 Why you want all the trouble of swapping the parts? If you like stick shift, get on Auto Trader, CarFax etc. patiently take time to find one, sooner or later you'll find one you like, to my two cents you just buy that 05 X-Type 3.0L auto and enjoy relax driving, soon you forget the shifting. I like to drive the stick before, but when I move into the city, my legs and R. arm toll me to get an auto and I enjoy the relax of driving ever since.

Last edited by Thang Nguyen; 10-03-2016 at 10:15 PM. Reason: fix the err
Old 10-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you found a replacement yet?
There is a 5 speed in the Knoxville, TN area.
2002 jaguar x type 5 speed hard to find with low miles 108,000
If you are interested I could go look at it and drive it for you.
I am an hour out of Knoxville but am in the area a lot

Old 10-09-2016, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It happened to me also

So sorry to hear about your cat. I have an 04 sport model 3.0 manual that was also totaled by some idiot who hit me in the driver's door. My ins co could not find a similar replacement in the surrounding states (GA, TN, NC and SC), so I bought it back for $800. Turns out it just needed a door, fender and alignment. In the mean time I needed a DD so the closest sedan I could find was a 97 540i sport. It doesn't handle as well and doesn't have that certain something one only experiences with a Jag, but it has done well for me. As soon as the Jag is roadworthy, the Beemer is to be sold. I will miss the horsepower and the rumble of that V8, but there's nothing quite like the X-type. Hope you find something soon. I still have a difficult time finding one like it and it's been over one year. Thankfully, there are a few wrecked cats to be found in the local scrap yards for parts. Best regards.