Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Fan

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Radiator Fan

Okie dokie,

So its time, I need to replace my fans, controller, and my back radiator, along with some other goodies. I will be taking my time with this as the Jag is my backup car that I take out on weekends. It will obviously sit while I do all this.

Here is what I am wanting to do.

No, I would prefer not to buy the upgraded factory module and fan set as its $1000 and a little cheaper on ebay or amazon. So what.

What I would prefer is an aftermarket setup so it can be more affordable. I was looking at this guy here.

Amazon.com: Flex-a-lite 180 Black Magic X-treme 15" Reversible Electric Fan: Automotive Amazon.com: Flex-a-lite 180 Black Magic X-treme 15" Reversible Electric Fan: Automotive

I know what matters in the end....total airflow through the radiator so my question there lies in the fact of will this bad boy move enough air to keep things cool. If not, can you suggest one that will? This fan comes with a gauge, relay and controller. Suggestions are welcome I just want to avoid spending a grand to fix this seemingly easy issue.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

bracester, the rule that I have always used for vehicles is you need a minimum of 3000 cfm of air from the fan(s) on the vehicle. This one happens to provide 3300 cfm. So, you are good there.

I am sure you can make it work to keep the engine cool. That is a very simple thing to accomplish. Where I think you may have an issue is getting it to kick on when you are using the A/C system. HOpefully the controller that comes with the fan has a separate lead for the A/C system. Otherwise, you are going to have to come up with a second controller just for the A/C system. Otherwise, what you will experience is in slow driving (ie, under 30 mph) and when stopped, the A/C system will not cool the car adequately (especially where you live). Above 30 mph, the air flow through the fan is more than the fan can move since the car is moving through the air.

If you need more info, let me know. I did a conversion on my truck and that was some of the problems I ran into with my truck. The only other "problem" that I can see is the computer may throw a code as the ECM is what controls the fan on our cars and if it isn't seeing a load, it may see it as an issue.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:24 AM

Hey Thermo!

So it actually does come with an A/C relay inside the controller, is there some wires I should be looking for that run the signal for the A/C? I do plan on keeping the temp sensor at the 185 degree mark so it kicks on frequently but I agree the A/C also needs to be connected.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

bracester, most people tap into the wiring for the A/C clutch. Probably best to simply wire it in parallel to the clutch itself (ie, downstream of the over pressure switch). The load that the new controller is going to add is going to be minimal and will have no effect on the wiring or the overpressure switch for longevity. If you need me to go down to the wire color, let me know. I just don't have that info in front of me at the moment.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:46 PM

Only reason I would need color is if there isn't an obvious positive and negative for the wires....more like positive.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Veteran member

If you need anything, let me know.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

If you want a used one,I can sell you a fan set and module for way less. I sell only good stuff as people on here can attest to. Pm me and we can talk price.

Thanks,
The Dr

Old 10-16-2015, 06:23 PM

I think I am going to go all new on this one. I really want a better solution than stock has to offer but I appreciate you offering Dr. Dome. I have time to get it back up and running so I am going to take my time with this one.

The following users liked this post:
Dr dome (10-16-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Im actually having a similar issue with my fans. The fan thats lower of the two, the one on the drivers side doesnt turn on. So I have to turn on the a/c on and manually put on a high fan speed. It still doesnt turn on that fan but the other fan cools off the interior and of coarse if Im driving then the cabin temp gets cold. Is there any way to get that drivers side fan to work? Im in the USA, just in case you would ask which side is the drivers side.
Any suggestions please?

Old 10-21-2015, 10:30 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default fans

Originally Posted by HeinzXtype
Im actually having a similar issue with my fans. The fan thats lower of the two, the one on the drivers side doesnt turn on. So I have to turn on the a/c on and manually put on a high fan speed. It still doesnt turn on that fan but the other fan cools off the interior and of coarse if Im driving then the cabin temp gets cold. Is there any way to get that drivers side fan to work? Im in the USA, just in case you would ask which side is the drivers side.
Any suggestions please?
To me its one of 2 things. Either the fan is bad or the fan module is. Either way I have both. Does the fan turn on at all either with you driving or when the ac is on max?

Old 10-22-2015, 10:10 AM

I know for sure its a dying module. The lower fan kicks on but the upper for the A/C doesn't budge, motor could have died but at this point I am done with both of them lol. Figured I would just go aftermarket and be done with the factory parts.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:48 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The small fan that is on usa drivers side which is lower down never turns on.

Originally Posted by Dr dome
To me its one of 2 things. Either the fan is bad or the fan module is. Either way I have both. Does the fan turn on at all either with you driving or when the ac is on max?
The small fan that is on usa drivers side which is lower down never turns on;the one that does is the larger one clearly visible on passenger front side by the radiator.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

if i was in this situation i would go with stock,remember our cars are not new ,so things will start to go if you repace it with oem you will have less headaches,one overheat there goes your motor,but i dont want to nock what your doing its just what i would do

Old 12-23-2015, 08:20 AM

Could I use tap a fuse to tap into the AC clutch? If not, what wire am I using for the clutch? I have ordered the part and just now getting around to taking the old one out and replacing it.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:55 PM

Found out I just needed to tap the red wire on the AC clutch power wires. Got it all installed and its a tight fit just like stock, lesson learned to bend the four brackets to a slight curve for a more solid mounting to the radiator. Now just need to jump it to get it started and testing for functionality and leaks. Will report back.