X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Radio Repair

I have a problem seeing my clock and radio/cd setting at night. After ascertaining that the small leds in facier unit have blown. My question is has anyone made this repair ? If so how easy is to do ?
Are there any pitfalls ?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Default Radio free Zone

Looks like our beloved Forum is a Radio repair free zone

Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Ray, I think it may be more a case where no one has had that issue or have tried to fix it. I can't say that I have seen many issues with the backlighting of the LCD displays on our cars. Plus, I am not 100% sure I understand your exact issue. Do you mean the display is not backlit at all or is it just dim? When you adjust the brightness of the dash lights can you see the backlight change at all? Does the radio otherwise work? Is all the other lighting on the dash and climate controls working properly? You didn't give us a lot to go on.

I am not 100% sure, but I do not believe the backlighting is via LEDs. I think it is just a small LCD module and if the backlighting has failed you would need to replace that. If that is the case you could probably find an equivalent part by opening up the radio and maybe seeing if there is a part number on it. Then you would have to unsolder it from the PCB and resolder the new one in. Not sure how difficult or time consuming that might be, but a replacement LCD might not be that expensive. However, when you account for your time involved, pain-in-the-*** factor, expense it might be simpler just to replace the radio with a used one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Alfadude:
rayclark1 (10-10-2013), scarey667 (03-15-2014)
Old 10-11-2013, 12:06 AM
Default extra info

Hi Alfadude
Thanks for looking at my radio problem. The unit works perfectly, with the display clearly visible during day time. At night the dashboard and controls are illuminated - the only thing I cannot see is the Radio & clock read outs, although radio/cd work okay. I have tried the dimmer switch, this clearly lightens & darkens the aircon unit display and all other instruments. Alas the radio remains in darkness. I do believe (like you have done) it is the small LED within the facier (front panel) I only enquired to see if anyone else had done the repair themselves. All that aside I think you are correct, a new front panel unit may be the easiest and most convenient way around this problem. It is the only issue I have with the cat so I can count myself lucky I suppose.
Regards

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Ray, I think it may be more a case where no one has had that issue or have tried to fix it. I can't say that I have seen many issues with the backlighting of the LCD displays on our cars. Plus, I am not 100% sure I understand your exact issue. Do you mean the display is not backlit at all or is it just dim? When you adjust the brightness of the dash lights can you see the backlight change at all? Does the radio otherwise work? Is all the other lighting on the dash and climate controls working properly? You didn't give us a lot to go on.

I am not 100% sure, but I do not believe the backlighting is via LEDs. I think it is just a small LCD module and if the backlighting has failed you would need to replace that. If that is the case you could probably find an equivalent part by opening up the radio and maybe seeing if there is a part number on it. Then you would have to unsolder it from the PCB and resolder the new one in. Not sure how difficult or time consuming that might be, but a replacement LCD might not be that expensive. However, when you account for your time involved, pain-in-the-*** factor, expense it might be simpler just to replace the radio with a used one.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

What you might want to try is taking the radio out and opening the unit up and see if any of the solder joints in the LCD module are broken. It could be one of the connections just worked its way loose from all the bumping around through the years. Maybe if you would press on the plastic bezel around the display a little or tap a little on the display itself you might be able to get it to intermittently flicker. If it does, then chances are it would be a weak solder joint. If not, you would have to replace that LCD module. Chances are you could find that one or an equivalent online if you search the part number. I would find it hard to believe that would be a custom display. Generally those things are pretty generic.

The following users liked this post:
rayclark1 (10-11-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not sure how to do it. but this you tube video shows how someone has changed all the dash led's to blue...apart from the stereo which is aftermarket. This car has been overdone in my opinion. i think somone from the forum called it elton john.

thread

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-x-type-66934/

video

rayclark1 (10-11-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

This will help get it out of the dash anyway.

rayclark1 (10-11-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Default led to believe

Jonesy

That is some job - not saying I would go for it personally though. To achieve the effectinside on the instrumentation units the guy would have had to take out all the LED's and replace - quite a job. Makes my problem look like a stroll in the park. Thanks for sharing this one with me.

Ray

Originally Posted by jonesy1974xtype
I'm not sure how to do it. but this you tube video shows how someone has changed all the dash led's to blue...apart from the stereo which is aftermarket. This car has been overdone in my opinion. i think somone from the forum called it elton john.

thread

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-x-type-66934/

video

jaguar X type WWW.ASTES.CZ sell this car - YouTube

Old 10-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced my factory stereo head unit with Pioneer's AppRadio and still have the original unit available if you're interested in buying it.

rayclark1 (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 11:37 PM

Hi

Sounds interesting. Is it grey ? and if so what do want for it?

Should have added that it must have the CD slot and not Cassette.

Also are you offering just the front panel and not whole radio. I really only
need the panel. If you can include a picture this would be helpful

Originally Posted by bahnjee
I replaced my factory stereo head unit with Pioneer's AppRadio and still have the original unit available if you're interested in buying it.

Last edited by rayclark1; 10-14-2013 at 10:24 AM.