X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Rear Brake Help.

So..... When i bought the car 2yrs ago the rear brake were done by the dealer.

A few months ago I notice a rattle coming from the left rear. I take it back to the dealer (will not put the name out there but let's just say it's in MA). They told me a bumper brace had come loose and would cost 75.00 to epoxy it back in place. i said no and took care of it myself...... the rattle never went away.

So over the next few months i drove the car, as it was winter and you could only hear the rattle with the windows down (probably due to all the dynamat in the trunk). So the nice weather comes and it's really starting to bother me.

I take it back to the dealership. And proceed to tell them the rattle goes away when my foot is on the brake, even just a slight application. They call me back later that afternoon to tell me that the rear brake pad anti rattle clip is missing and who has done the brake recently on my car. Again I am an ex-Jaguar Technician, so I do all of the work on my car. They tell me i need to pay for new rear brake pads to make the noise go away, as the clip is not available separately.

First i am really pissed that they cannot get the rattle clip separately, next i am pissed they will not stand behind their work..... but i know how this works.... 1yr warranty on the labor and as soon as the car is in the Select Edition warranty they cannot warranty any of the brakes. So I no have a dilemma..... replace rear brakes with only 20K on them. Or hope that someone has this hardware kicking around from a previous brake job. If there is someone like me out there they keep all of this stuff for just this occasion .

Please let me know if anyone can help. It would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Pony up the bucks and just get a new set of rear pads, they are not that expensive.
20k is probably halfway through the lifespan of the rear pads anyway if they are the OEM compound. Take the opportunity to get a good set of low dusting rear pads and be done with it.

That's my $.02 for ya

Old 04-15-2010, 05:55 PM

um..... yeah thanks i guess....... not really the point though.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:37 PM

The anti-rattle clips are integral to the pads so if one has disappeared you would have no option but to buy new pads.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaguardoc504
um..... yeah thanks i guess....... not really the point though.
Eh - sorry for the brevity of my post. As TGK mentioned (and I neglected) they are part of the pad.

Have you decided on a course of action at this point? I can recommend some good pads should you want some input. Best of luck.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Eh - sorry for the brevity of my post. As TGK mentioned (and I neglected) they are part of the pad.

Have you decided on a course of action at this point? I can recommend some good pads should you want some input. Best of luck.
Actually on the 05's and up they changed the rear pad design due the whistling bottle effect when it got wet, and you were going in reverse. The rattle clip is not part of the pad.

But thanks for the help.

I just went and bought a set of pads and installed the rattle clip out of them, only problem was the cheaper pads do not come with replacement clips (hence part of the cheaper price). I had to spend $80 for the pads with the rattle clip...... I will just hold onto the pads till i need them.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 05-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaguardoc504
Actually on the 05's and up they changed the rear pad design due the whistling bottle effect when it got wet, and you were going in reverse. The rattle clip is not part of the pad.

But thanks for the help.

I just went and bought a set of pads and installed the rattle clip out of them, only problem was the cheaper pads do not come with replacement clips (hence part of the cheaper price). I had to spend $80 for the pads with the rattle clip...... I will just hold onto the pads till i need them.

Good to know! I completely forgot about that change. Sorry for the bad advice!

What brand did you end up going with?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:57 AM

They were the top of the line NAPA ceramic pads. I am not sure who makes them. I just need the clip out of them anyway. At the price i paid for them i would expect them to be decent but who know .

I will drop them in once the rear brake wear down far enough. But not overall concerned with their performance as i am using better than average brakes on the front, EBC Red Box, and EBC USR Slotted Rotors. I am also trying to source a bigger master cylinder to give me a little better pedal feel. I think the early S-type will fit but i have to get one to find out.