X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced struts/shocks, now have clunk and headache

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced struts/shocks, now have clunk and headache

Xtype has 100k it now. Bought it new and have gentle miles on her. Wife commented on wheezing type noise over bump and I assumed shock then decided to replace them all.....but then,
Three were relatively trouble free but the driver side was a nightmare.
Ball joint wouldn't come free, axle wouldn't come out, and a jury rigged attempt to free the ball joint failed miserably as the floor jack did work but came crashing down after the ball joint released and somehow in the process tore out the cv axle leaving in only the last knuckle. After seeing the damage i did, wathing the oil pour on the ground, and knowing the Mensa award was not mine this year I begrudgingly replaced the CV axle, strut, control arm, and took it for a spin.
At the first tight corner from the garage the car plunged to the ground. The bolt that holds the ball joint in, which was still in place, somehow jumped right past the bolt, seperated itself from control arm, dropped down on to the new ball joint seal, and stopped the car in her tracks.
I brought all the tools to the new spot 20 feet away, and after cursing profusely I managed to get her all back together with no damage but for perhaps the grease seal on the new ball joint. Needless to say it has not been pleasant. I say all that to help show the journey and now the problem. I bought a new bolt to secure the ball joint from jag and triple checked all my work but on test drive, over the right bumps, I get a clunk. hard to explain clunk. kinda like the shock extends all the way and bangs at the end. Not a hard metal to metal clunk but still clearly something not quite right type of clunk. I checked that the top strut studs were placed properly. Colored pin towards the inside. its all fine and no other shocks gave me any problems.
I pulled the wheel off and tried to tighten everything and managed to take one turn on the nut for the rear steering arm ball joint, when it snapped off and then popped out the top free and swinging. I ordered a new one so now almost everything under the driver side it new.
I am not normally retarded in my wrenching efforts, usually,... I do most all my own work with no drama or troubles but somehow there is a dark spell on this one side.
I am at wits end over the clunk so,....anyone know black magic or have mechanical thoughts?? 3 outta 4 isnt bad but loosing a wife over bad mistakes I cant live with. I am not sure it is safe and my confidence has been bruised. Has anyone had similar experience? Know what to check? Ended up in a padded cell? Please advise.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE
I solved own problem. I found that the shocks were sent with different jam nuts on the top. Cant explain that or why I didn't question it when I installed them but...the drivers side didn't lock down tight on the top of the shock. Thus the clunking noise. The tie rod end I replaced and now everything you see behind the tire is new. Drives great, alignment set for 8 days from now and all should be good.
Thanks