X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing 2004 Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing 2004 Navigation

Hi all. I have a 2004 X-Type with the touch screen navigation with the intergrated climate control. It DOES NOT HAVE PREMIUM SOUND PACKAGE. The nav system is way outdated and I need an audio input and Bluetooth. Going the Jag way, I would need an ACM, Bluetooth module etc. all for the princely sum of $1500 from my local Jag dealership. For this price I would still have an outdated Navigation system. Plan B is to take the entire unit out and go for an aftermarket solution. Now the problem with the aftermarket radio is the missing climate control. Can I just install the regular climate control unit (used on Ebay) and then just add a double din stereo? Would the climate control harness fit and be plug and play? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:48 PM

Anyone????

Old 08-06-2011, 08:00 PM

Well since I have 35 views and no answers I guess no one really knows. I've decided that the navigation is not that bad after all so I'm gonna keep the head unit. I will be adding the Parrot MKI9100 for my bluetooth and usb/aux input. I plan to install it in my ashtray and use my steering wheel controls. After harnesses and the unit itself etc. this should set me back around $250. Also going to replace the front door speakers and hook up a 4 way amp running in tri mode with a 12 inch sub in the boot. Will take a couple of weeks for all the parts to arrive. I will post pictures and updates as the project continues.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:09 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think it's a matter of no one knows, but rather that this subject has been beat to death already.

I think I might be missing something here. I always thought that the nav system was run via a CD or DVD, and that you could update that (by region) as often as they updated it.

I've never had navigation in my car. It's never been an issue. When I was younger we got directions and dealt with it, no maps, no online maps, no cell phones. In the rare event I have issues going where I need to go, I use my cell phone. This has only happened once really. Oh, and on the 4th of July when the local police decided to shut down the main road leaving me no way to get home. Using Google Maps on my Android phone was easy enough.

I'm seriously considering installing the nav system in my car. Currently I have a - gasp! - cassette player! I hooked up an iPod to it, and that's "good enough" for now. $1500 is a bit steep, but it's always better to go stock than after market. Just looks better.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by glennemo1969
Well since I have 35 views and no answers I guess no one really knows.
Actually it might have something to do with your first 3 posts being on this topic, no introduction, no history...the forums asks that you give a little before you take...nothing personal...

Originally Posted by glennemo1969
I've decided that the navigation is not that bad after all so I'm gonna keep the head unit. I will be adding the Parrot MKI9100 for my bluetooth and usb/aux input. I plan to install it in my ashtray and use my steering wheel controls. After harnesses and the unit itself etc. this should set me back around $250. Also going to replace the front door speakers and hook up a 4 way amp running in tri mode with a 12 inch sub in the boot. Will take a couple of weeks for all the parts to arrive. I will post pictures and updates as the project continues.
Up to you, i've gone down the road of updating the map DVD, fitting the OEM bluetooth & ACM, next on my list is the premium sound amp, new speakers & making a retrofit wiring harness to make it all work.
Lots of messing about & in the end it's all 10-year-old technology. Not really value for money, but less work than ripping out the factory touchscreen & starting from scratch. You don't get plug & play with aftermarket equipment.

A lot of people have fitted double-din aftermarket head units that have all the bells & whistles; iPod connectivity, MP3 playback from CD's or USB sticks, fantastic navigation, RCA outputs to go directly to amps, video playback, etc...

The only problem with this is it's really difficult to physically get one of these units into the dash because of space restrictions behind. Also, because you have to fit the factory climate controls in the top section of the dash, the screen sits right at the bottom & it's awkward to look at while driving. And, the unit sits at a funny angle leaning downwards, makes it even harder to see...like this;

Name:  IMAG0138.jpg
Views: 1836
Size:  39.3 KB

You can keep the controls on the steering wheel, there are adaptor kits to do this available.

One thing you will lose is the navigation instructions in the message centre (in the speedo).

I don't have the time or the urge to explain how to do this install, it's been covered many times on this and other forums...

It's a question of ease vs. cost vs. features. Pick two, cause you can't have all three!

Originally Posted by Dumb/Luck
$1500 is a bit steep, but it's always better to go stock than after market. Just looks better.
Yep, can't argue with that! Just don't tell the bloke who owns that picture above!

Last edited by Cambo; 08-07-2011 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Changed the picture
Old 08-07-2011, 05:33 AM

Problem is that the dvd has not been updated since 2005. I agree with you with google maps, that was the whole point of wanting to replace the nav system. It is no match for google. Google constantly updates and will rerout around traffic automaticaly. Reading a map will not tell you if there is a jackknifed tractor trailer on I95 and that I should take the Hutchenson Pkwy etc. The Parrot system will allow me to use my google navigation, stored music, streaming radio etc. wirelessly and hidden away under the cover of my never been used ashtray retaining my factory look for 1/6th the price of Jags solution. Paying $1500 to add an upgrade to a $10,000 car seems a bit foolish to me. Besides, the way electronics are theese days, the next great thing will replace your current great thing in about 3 years.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:55 AM

Yes Cambo I agree with you about the head unit replacement. That's why I'm going with the Parrot System. Sorry Dumb/Luck if I sounded a little coarse in my last post. Nothing personal. But it was kinda like someone saying out houses work so why bother with indoor plumbing.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey glennemo1969 - just checking to see if you got the Parrot MKI9100 installed and how you like it? I would like to be able to do bluetooth streaming of podcasts from my Android phone and the Parrot kit seems to be the simplest and least expensive option. I'd be interested to know how the install went and how you like using it. Thanks!

Brandon

Old 11-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 392 Likes on 289 Posts
Default go aftermarket and get all the bells and whistles in 1 unit

go aftermarket and get all the bells and whistles in 1 unit

Name:  010-3.jpg
Views: 1765
Size:  53.3 KB

we will help

Name:  015-1.jpg
Views: 2405
Size:  59.0 KB

above plug and play harness

Name:  307-1.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  18.1 KB

Name:  4455020-1.jpg
Views: 2103
Size:  54.8 KB

above fit clean

Name:  4646035-1.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  77.8 KB

try not to watch movies while your driving

Name:  001-4.jpg
Views: 2174
Size:  36.8 KB

Old 01-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement of built-in touch screen with digital climate control-connector problem

Very nicely explained and emphasized by the images. Very commendable!

I wonder whether anybody knows how I would have, digital air conditioning installed in my car?

Currently the car has the original built-in touch screen. I want the touch screen to replace with digital air conditioning so that I could have, installed radio by my choice.

The problem is resulting from the connectors. Touch screen has only one connector at the rear, while the digital climate has two connectors at the rear. Does anybody have a solution for these connectors? Has anyone ever dealt with this and if so, how is this problem resolved?

Thank you for any answer on this topic!
Rok

Old 03-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to this but I have a 2002 Jaguar xtype my touch screen radio died and I don't want to invest into a stock sat nav one anymore, My climate controls are different from the one Dennis black has in his jag. My are factory made to the side of my double din & instead I want to convert mine to look like Dennis blacks climate controls