X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Mesh Grille Insert

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Lower Mesh Grille Insert

I recently purchased the upper and lower mesh grille kit from Mina Gallery. I got it installed and I love the look of it, however I had a difficult time with the installation of the lower portion.

The upper grille insert, even though it involved "dremel-ing" off the ribbed portions of the grille, was a relatively simple install (Despite the fact that I broke quite a few dremel wheels cutting it). The lower insert on the other hand was a giant pain.

The instructions for the lower mesh mention pulling out the cover on the bumper splitter to reveal another piece. You are then supposed to mount 4 brackets on this piece. The problem is that no such piece existed on my '05. Instead, the splitter seemed to be one large piece of plastic that was riveted into the top and bottom of the opening; there was also nothing behind it to mount the brackets to. I resorted to completely removing the splitter assembly, which involved breaking 4 rivets and cutting the sides with the dremel. The bottom of this splitter assembly seemed to be clipped into the bottom of the bumper cover so I just cut it so it wasn't visible. I then modified the brackets from Mina by drilling an extra hole through the middle of them and mounted them to the top and bottom of the opening.

In the end, it worked out and it looks great, however I'd like to know if I did something wrong or if there was some kind of change to the way the splitter was installed in later models that Mina isn't aware of. Anyone else run into this problem?

Old 09-17-2012, 02:24 PM

Just talked to Chris at Mina, he informed me that he has run into this issue with a handful of customers over the years. Oddly enough, he's heard of it on '03s and '04s and looked at others from the same years that don't have this type of splitter.

It seems to be just a weird Jag thing that they decided not to tell anyone about, but it doesn't seem year or trim specific.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow

Hmmm, I expected problems like this when I did mine. (lower Mesh Grille)

So, rather than spend an inordinate amount to buy something that won't fit properly... I felt it was time to be more innovative.

See the pics attached .... only cost me a few bucks for the parts and I think it looks just great. (and no more rattling Louvre)

Attached Thumbnails Lower Mesh Grille Insert-img_0078.jpg   Lower Mesh Grille Insert-img_0079.jpg  

Last edited by Lcgi; 09-18-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 PM

Lcgi, are you saying you made that yourself? If so, great job!

I guess 90% of the people who buy Mina's kit don't run into the issue I had, which is probably why their instructions don't even mention it. However, after cutting out all of the parts of the splitter that were visible and modifying the 4 middle brackets, it wasn't difficult to mount the insert to the opening I had created.

I'll try to get some pictures up later today

Old 09-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Arrow

Yep, all made at home with prepainted mesh panel and rubber extrusion for the perimeter fixing - all secured in place by a bead of Silicone Adhesive applied on inside bumper cover. (no rattles no corrosion)

Costs;
Mesh Panel: $18.00 (48" x 6")
Rubber Extrusion: 11.00
Tube of Silicone: 5.00
Total under $35

My Labour to Make and Install about = 4 hrs.

Best thing is, if I ever need to revert back to the Louvre (unlikely) all I have to do is run a Box Cutter blade around the outside of the extrusion - to release the grip of the silicone.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

WELL done!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:30 AM

I may have to remove my screws and just do silicone. How long has yours been on the car? How strong is the hold?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Arrow

Howdy,
Mine has been in place for around 6 months now.... believe me, the strength, grip and durability of silicone - is more than substantial.

I used this product;
Selleys Wet Area Silicone - Silicone Sealants | Selleys Australia
But, do doubt you will have similar/alternate silicone products - in your neck of the woods.

If the screws you mention are holding the grille in the correct position.... then I suggest you apply a good 6-8mm fillet bead of silicone to the inside of the 'front bumper cover' where it interfaces with the grille.
Once your bead of silicone has fully cured... perhaps you can remove the screws.

Good Luck....

Last edited by Lcgi; 09-21-2012 at 07:52 AM.