Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber door seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber door seal

Hello!
I have an 02 X-type. One of the rear passenger door seals has come loose. It's the seal that is attached to the car, not the door itself. Whenever someone gets in via that door, the seal comes loose and I need to push it back into place (pictures attached).

I have been trying to think of an adhesive that would bond metal and rubber, but that will not eat away at the rubber. I was thinking of using silicone, but when it gets hot, the silicone might melt and the seal would be loose again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
K.and.A

Attached Thumbnails Rubber door seal-door_seal_01.jpg   Rubber door seal-door_seal_02.jpg  
Old 05-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Automotive weather strip adhesive? Like 3M or something? Available at most auto parts stores I would think.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having a similar problem with a piece of the rubber seal on my passenger door. If I remember correctly, I had this entire gasket replaced at the dealer when I bought the car and it was ungodly expensive. (OK, I understand it is a Jag, but really...) It was a section about 3 inches long that has since torn off. Any ideas on how to fix it instead of having to replace the gasket again?

Old 08-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by kandA
I have an 02 X-type. One of the rear passenger door seals has come loose. It's the seal that is attached to the car, not the door itself. Whenever someone gets in via that door, the seal comes loose and I need to push it back into place.

I have been trying to think of an adhesive that would bond metal and rubber, but that will not eat away at the rubber. I was thinking of using silicone, but when it gets hot, the silicone might melt and the seal would be loose again.

Any suggestions?
As mohrd mentioned, there are products specifically for adhering the weatherstripping to the door frame. I also recommend the 3M products. They come in both black and clear, and my experience has been the black sticks like all get out, and the clear not quite so much. Availible at any Auto Parts store.

The common feature of both is they are MESSY as heck. Be sure to have paper towels handy, mask off the inside of the car where any might drip or fling, and be exceedingly careful. Clean the metal and the rubber with some solvent, allow it to dry, and then most carefully apply the adhesive (it comes out of the tube rather runny).

Slide the weatherstrip onto the metal and use some blue painter's masking tape to hold it until it dries. If you get too much on, just leave it until it totally dries up in about a week or so, and then it can be trimmed and pulled off easily. (If you try to wipe it with solvent while it is still gummy, it will spread around like sticky green flu snot and make a real mess!).

Honestly, just a few dollops of the adhesive into the weatherstrip will suffice.

Originally Posted by VisaDiva
...It was a section about 3 inches long that has since torn off. Any ideas on how to fix it instead of having to replace the gasket again?
Just about any Home Repair or Hardware Store will have pre-glued foam weatherstripping for under $10, in a variety of widths and thicknesses. Trim/square up the torn part up a bit, and then just snip some of the foam product and press it in for an adequate temporary repair. Get foam that is thicker than you need, as it squashes quite a bit.

Save that little piece you trimmed off and take it into a body repair shop. Since it is probably actually a Ford product, they may well have a roll of universal weatherstripping that is an identical match that they will sell you as many inches as you need to effect a more permanent repair with, using the adhesive(s) described above.

Good luck to you both! Let us know how it works for you.

(and for Chrissakes, do NOT get any of that adhesive on the carpet, dash or leather seats!!!)