X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rust the size of a silver dollar on each side(under door) of XTYPE

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool rust the size of a silver dollar on each side(under door) of XTYPE

I washed and waxed my x-type today and it seems that when i open the (front) doors there is a little bit of rust started to be visible I read another thread today on this site and im quite paranoid as to the extent of this issue,(the other thread said it is the a-frame? or piece and it makes the car very unsafe to drive) is there anyway I can fix this(without paying several k) as I have kept the x in prestige condition .

thank you

x-type owner

Old 09-20-2010, 06:18 PM

and it is aswell a 2002 xtype 2.5 with under 75,000 miles

Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

The short answer is "no, probably not" - sounds like you have the same problem as thoroughly discussed in the X type rust thread. Depending on the severity and if you do not want to have it properly fixed, it may be time to consider getting rid of it in the not so distant future.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by The Chris X
The short answer is "no, probably not" - sounds like you have the same problem as thoroughly discussed in the X type rust thread. Depending on the severity and if you do not want to have it properly fixed, it may be time to consider getting rid of it in the not so distant future.
Thanks chris x, albeit I see you have an 02 xtype aswell did you not have the same problem as me? or have you gone to extra preventitive lengths to be blessed without my own delema?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Thankfully I have not had the issue. I took the rocker covers off when I first got the car and did a Waxoyl treatment, that might have slowed things down. Of course, I haven't opened them back up for 5 or 6 years so who knows! It's not coming through the paint yet if there is corrosion...probably some in there just not real bad yet.

It is a total bummer. The repair can be costly but can be done. I guess you'll just have to debate the merits of keeping vs. selling or trading it in. Of course, having not seen your exact problem I might be assuming the worst and maybe it's not that bad. Got any pics?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello,

As has been said already, this is the first sign of the dreaded inner rocker panel / A-frame corrosion. I spotted the same rust bubbles on my '03 at the end of last winter. See my thread "03 X-Type Rust" for the details. Unfortunately, by the time you see the rust emerging from below the front door hinges, it's already widespread beneath the entire rocker panel. Once you remove the plastic rocker panel cover, there's an external steel rocker panel and beneath that, is another steel inner rocker panel that is the culprit. It appears to be very poorly rust-proofed and it corrodes, eventually spreading to the outer rocker panel. The plastic cover hides most of the damage.

It is repairable but the $6500 cost approaches / may exceed the value of the car.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Cool

[quote=steve12955;247256]Hello,

As has been said already, this is the first sign of the dreaded inner rocker panel / A-frame corrosion. I spotted the same rust bubbles on my '03 at the end of last winter. See my thread "03 X-Type Rust" for the details. Unfortunately, by the time you see the rust emerging from below the front door hinges, it's already widespread beneath the entire rocker panel. Once you remove the plastic rocker panel cover, there's an external steel rocker panel and beneath that, is another steel inner rocker panel that is the culprit. It appears to be very poorly rust-proofed and it corrodes, eventually spreading to the outer rocker panel. The plastic cover hides most of the damage.

It is repairable but the $6500 cost approaches / may exceed the value of the car.

maybe the part under the door hinges can be fixed replaced for 500-600 bucks by taking off the suraface rust , want is your plan with your own rusting x type steve?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello,

For the amount of labor required to get at the visible rust area (removal of bumper, front fenders, front doors, moldings) and not knowing how extensive it is until the plastic molding comes off, I wouldn't think that $500 is well-spent - plus it's likely that the rust will reappear in the untreated areas - so it's really a "buying time" repair.

I outlined how I repaired my car in the thread "03 X-Type Rust" elsewhere in this forum. I attacked the visible rust-through by welding-in patch panels in the A-frame area and attempted to halt the corrosion further back in the rocker panel by coating it internally with POR-15 (an extremely hard rust proofing paint) and Wax-Oyl (a paraffin-based liquid that flows when warmed and once hardened, seals the rusted area). I didn't cut away the entire rocker which is the only way to properly fix it. I spent about $175 in materials (POR-15, WaxOyl, primers, paint, molding clips, etc.) but invested about 40 hours of my labor in the repair. I hope it lasts.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 09-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by steve12955
Hello,

For the amount of labor required to get at the visible rust area (removal of bumper, front fenders, front doors, moldings) and not knowing how extensive it is until the plastic molding comes off, I wouldn't think that $500 is well-spent - plus it's likely that the rust will reappear in the untreated areas - so it's really a "buying time" repair.

I outlined how I repaired my car in the thread "03 X-Type Rust" elsewhere in this forum. I attacked the visible rust-through by welding-in patch panels in the A-frame area and attempted to halt the corrosion further back in the rocker panel by coating it internally with POR-15 (an extremely hard rust proofing paint) and Wax-Oyl (a paraffin-based liquid that flows when warmed and once hardened, seals the rusted area). I didn't cut away the entire rocker which is the only way to properly fix it. I spent about $175 in materials (POR-15, WaxOyl, primers, paint, molding clips, etc.) but invested about 40 hours of my labor in the repair. I hope it lasts.

Good luck,

Steve
thank steve, so I could get my mechanic to remove that plastic piece then go to a body shop, maybe after spray some of that magic you talked about on those areas then return to the garage and have it put back on...im thinking a around 600.....or i could remove plastic myself and get at it (its almost winter..but i would try sanding myself) only question is how can i remove that plastic cover on each side...any other indepth on the steps of this job would be greatly appricated

Old 09-24-2010, 06:10 PM

Hi guys.... I read the other thread regarding the X type rust issues, but was unable to view the pics attached. I'm a new member, and when I attempted to view pics, system advised I do not yet have authorization. I'm fairly a noob when it comes to vehicles... but in reference to the rust, are the rocker panels the area of the car that when you open the door, you see the flat silver strip with "Jaguar" embedded into it? the rust is visible when you pull that strip up?? Or is it the entire strip of paneling (same color as exterior) that runs the entire length of the car with no jogs in it? I have a 2004 X type, and could see no visible signs of rust, nor could I see the holes drilled into it that others mentioned. Knowing my stupidity, I am probbly looking in the wrong area.