X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Upgrade - Looking For Confirmation of What I think I Already Know...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Seat Upgrade - Looking For Confirmation of What I think I Already Know...

I am replacing the sad/sorry/pathetic/ripped/chipped/dipped front seats in my new (to me) X Type. The existing driver seat is the basic 6 function elect and the passenger seat is the basic 2 function (manually slide forward/back) seat. Both replacement seats are 8-way/lumbar support/heated seats (slightly used).

I think I read somewhere that Jaguar, to save money and simplify installation, used the same full-function cabin wire harness in all of their X Type Jags. If certain options were not installed in an individual car, the standard connectors had all of the inputs but simply did not have an output to the missing device (aka manual seats still have all wiring from the cabin side of the connector for a fully optioned seat, but did nothing with it on the seat side of the connector). Am I mistaken???

I believe I should be able to simply plug in the fully optioned seats into the same cabin side connector the old seats were using and all seat functions should work.

This leads me to the heated seat part of my "Think I Know". I also believe that my single button/function Hazard switch is also cabin wired for heated seats, but their are no switches/outputs to the seat heaters. All I should need to do is replace my current 1 button Hazard switch on the console with one that has 3 buttons for the hazard and heated seats also. Am I mistaken here?

Will include before/after photos when done. Looking forward to getting the new(er) seats installed and improving the interior look.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same question and assumptions for my 2004 X-Type, 3.0. Looking at seats out of a Jag that was rear ended, but the front seats look like they are in great shape.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:52 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Have a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-heated-64668/

And here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ic-seat-64706/

The problem is the front passenger seat has a weight sensor in it, which must be calibrated to the restraints module. If you re-use your seat cushion with the sensor in it, then you don't need to reprogram the restraints module.

As you can see, when I put the full electric passenger seat in, no additional wiring needed.

The following users liked this post:
PanamaJag (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Have a look here

The problem is the front passenger seat has a weight sensor in it, which must be calibrated to the restraints module. If you re-use your seat cushion with the sensor in it, then you don't need to reprogram the restraints module.
THANKS Cambo351 !!!

The poor seat cushion is the reason I am replacing the seats... lol

-Old Passenger Seat-
Seat Upgrade - Looking For Confirmation of What I think I Already Know...-old_pass_03.jpg

-Newer Passenger Seat-
Seat Upgrade - Looking For Confirmation of What I think I Already Know...-new_pass01.jpg

-Old Driver Seat-
Seat Upgrade - Looking For Confirmation of What I think I Already Know...-old_drv_01.jpg

-Newer Driver Seat-
Seat Upgrade - Looking For Confirmation of What I think I Already Know...-new_drv_01.jpg

*** UPDATE - Seats In ***

Well it took about 1 hr to get the old passenger seat out and the new (to me) seat in. When I started the car, the passenger airbag light on the dash lit and then went off as normal. Still gotta pull codes and gonna get the calibration/programming checked to ensure restraint system is 100%.

The old driver seat had a bad motor on the seat height adjustment and the seat support bar blocked access to the seat belt anchor screw. So I had to completely remove the old driver seat from the car with the seat belt still attached (should have taken a pic of that ), uncouple the height adjust motor arm and manually lifted the seat support enough to get to the screw. Got that off and reinstalled the newer driver seat. Everything works great.

Cleaned and conditioned both seats and are much happier with newer seats than old. Ordered hazard/seat warmer dash switch and should be installing next weekend.

The seats only cost me $100/ea and the driver seat has some cracking/wear. I ordered leather dye from Gliptone Leather which should minimize the crack effect - my next project.

These things are one step at a time for the po' .....

Last edited by PanamaJag; 08-02-2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Update - Seat In