X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

See a crack in a hose by the throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 06:13 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default See a crack in a hose by the throttle body?

I am not much of a mechanic, but I have been watching repair videos and reading articles so I know where all the parts are located under the hood. In some article I came across I read about this same hose that is cracked on my car and if I remember right most people have replaced them with an upgraded model with clamps? Does that sound right?

It seems to come off the upper manifold and head towards the air filter area and is just to the left of the throttle body. I am pretty sure I can replace this myself. My question is which hose is this and what does it do? I have no lights coming on the dash so I guess all is well still but I would assume it is not good to leave it like this.

I have attached a couple photos.

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 08-02-2016, 09:04 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Jaguar issued a newer/updated crank case vent hose over a decade ago. The old ones collapsed and/or cracked.

Not expensive, get a new one.

bob

The following users liked this post:
daddylogan (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The hose is an easy change out. Remove the engine cover and the hose is accessible. Jagbits one of the forum sponsors carries it. They also off a discount to forum members. Below is a link to the part with a picture of the hose and the Jag OEM part number.
Jaguar BREATHER HOSE TO INTAKE MANIFOLD - C2S40863

daddylogan (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 07:11 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

daddylogan, like the others have said, it is the crankcase breather hose. IN short, what it is doing for you is it works with the PCV valve which puts a slight vacuum on the internals of the engine to make air get sucked into the engine to minimize what oil may leak out of the engine. This also helps to remove any water that may get into the oil to allow the oil to last longer.

daddylogan (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
The hose is an easy change out. Remove the engine cover and the hose is accessible. Jagbits one of the forum sponsors carries it. They also off a discount to forum members. Below is a link to the part with a picture of the hose and the Jag OEM part number.
Jaguar BREATHER HOSE TO INTAKE MANIFOLD - C2S40863
How do they know your a forum member when you order? Thanks for the insight AVERN1 ;-)

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 08-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

[QUOTE=daddylogan;1509266]How do they know your a forum member when you order?

Just tell them.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:06 PM

From looking at my photos I posted, is there an actual issue with that breather hose? The reason I ask is because I have seen many pictures and videos over the last day where all of them have that same slit as mine does. I find that odd.

Check out this YouTube video and forward to 5:20 and stop it....you can see the exact same crack as on mine. I am puzzled unless that slit was the major defect everyone talks about? help!

One last question if you all don't mind. Even though my car only has 15,000 miles on it, would it be a wise idea to replace the PCV Valve while I am at it since it is original? If yes, are there instructions on how to safely remove it without damaging something?

Thanks for all your time guys...much appreciated on helping out an X-type newbie!!!

peace out,
daddylogan

Last edited by daddylogan; 08-04-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

daddylogan, I would say to replace the PCV valve as they are cheap and it helps eliminate any questions you may have. Replacing it is easy. Remove the cover off of the engine and you will see where the hose attaches to the front valve cover. The PCV is the bend in the tubing that joins the hose to the front valve cover. Reach down over the hose to grasp the base of the PCV valve and give it a quarter turn counterclockwise. The PCV valve will pop right out. NOthing special. If it doesn't want to come, you can use a set of pliers or other similar too to give it a little assistance. As long as you are not crushing the PCV valve into little chunks, there is nothing to fear with the replacement.

As for the slit that most people talk about, it will be on the underside of the hose attached to the PCV valve. You can't see where the normal split is in the hose from this video. With the engine cover off, you will see the complete hose between the intake and the PCV valve. If you look, you will see where there is a bracket that causes the hose to have a slight arch to it. Stick your hand so your fingers are on each side of that bracket. As you rub your hand across the hose, you should feel an oddity in the hose if you have a split hose. It is better though to remove the hose so you can visually look at the hose. This is not an issue if you look at this hose and it has a cross hatch pattern.

daddylogan (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

I know this car was gently used over the years, but still surprising to still see an X with that old style hose after 13+ years. I bet 99% of them have had that hose changed to the ribbed style by now. Once you get a new hose you will see how much beefier it is. You probably have the original IMT o-rings as well. You might want to change those too. Then for good measure change the brake booster hose with the plastic check valve. All of these are pretty cheap and extremely easy to do-maybe 15 minutes of your time to do all three. Those are what's known around here as "The Big Three" as they pretty much fail in every X. There is a ton of info on here about all of them.

daddylogan (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Thermo and alfadude are right on the money for the hose. Even though the crack you see may not yet be a problem it is going to be eventually. The thing is eventually always occurs at the least convenient time.
When I bought mine it had the old style hose, the brake booster check valve was cracked and the IMT O-rings had silicone sealant around them to seal.
I went with changing out all 3.
It is a quick, simple and necessary replacement.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

AND....in the big scheme of things for the peace of mind it gives you...CHEAP to do.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:50 PM

Man o man...you guys are awesome and I *think* I am starting to understand a few things, especially the BIG THREE!!! So hopefully this will be my last series of questions before I buy the parts and do this myself. I might even make a video and call it "The Big Three" so others can benefit from this!

Ok, so I went out and took a pretty high quality photo of my engine and took it into photoshop and labeled a few things as I understand things to be from this thread. If I have something wrong, please advise and I will fix it for the purpose of this. Here is the photo:

So it is my understanding the BIG THREE are as follows:

1) Crankcase Breather Hose (labeled with the number 1 and a circle around the crack in the hose)

2) PCV Valve (labeled with the direction it is located and label number 4 is the PCV valve itself and what it looks like)

3) Brake Booster Hose with plastic check valve. (labeled with the number 2 being where it connects to the upper manifold and number 3 where it connects to the brake booster - I also labeled the plastic check valve)

Ok...hopefully I have that all correct?

Thermo already gave instructions to remove the PCV valve by grabbing it at the base and turning it counter clockwise by a quarter turn and it should pull out. I am assuming that putting the new one in is just a matter of popping it straight down in and aligning the nipple facing the where the breather hose comes off the manifold. Sound good?

Next is the Brake booster hose removal. I have read where the connection area is I have labeled as #2, you should be able to push down and then it will pop right out? Is this true? As for connection #3 I have no idea how to remove that. Do you just grab it and pull straight out or is twisting involved? I don't want to break stuff and have that feeling of DOOM! LOL- Also is there a procedure for the reinstall or do I just push both ends back in place?

Lastly, someone mentioned I should replace the IMT O-Rings. I have zero idea where those are or where they go so please advise if you could.

Ok...now to make sure I have found the right parts so here is a list and links:

2002 Jaguar X-type PCV Valve - Jaguar BREATHER VALVE - C2S25648 - $49.95 (rockauto - $30.79 Airtex/Wells 6P1337)

2002 Jaguar X-type Crankcase Breather Hose (Breather hose to intake manifold) - Jaguar BREATHER HOSE TO INTAKE MANIFOLD - C2S40863 - $37.55

2002 Jaguar X-type IMT O-Rings - Jaguar O-RING VACUUM SEAL FOR UPPER INTAKE MANIFOLD CONTROL VALVES - C2S40669005 - $10.95

2002 Jaguar X-type Brake Booster Hose with Plastic Check Valve - Part Number: C2S17552 - Jaguar BRAKE BOOSTER VACUUM HOSE WITH CHECK VALVE - C2S17552 - $92.00 (rockauto - $39.79 Standard Motor

Products Q33002)

"The BIG Three" - Total - $190.45 all from Jagbits - New and Used OEM and Aftermarket Jaguar Parts Online Catalog

According to my figures these hoses and parts nearly cost $200 from Jagbits without the forum discount applied. However many of you have seemed to indicate these parts would be much cheaper to purchase (I included a comparison the RockAuto but could only find 2 of the 4 parts there). Does Jagbits accept PayPal?

Maybe some of you have a secret buying spot that might save me a few bucks? I am not a cheapo but I just spent 10k on buying the car so yeah, would like to save a tad on these fixes if possible ;-) I am sure many of you understand that one!!!! LOL

Ok....I think I have it all covered and just a few more answers will help get me started on this and my learning will have begun! I am actually having fun learning so far (especially since nothing is really broke...yet!!!) but I am preparing myself for being a long term Jaguar owner and that usually means things will loom around the corner. Maybe I can get lucky, and with a little prevention I can escape some of the hassles?

Thank you all again for your time and patience with me.

peace out,
daddylogan

P.S. - If you notice in the photo I am missing a plastic clip on the *cowling?" or whatever it is called that the cabin filter is behind and under. Where can I order one of those?

Old 08-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Veteran member

daddylogan, the IMT valves are to the left of where you took the picture above. If you look at where the breather hose comes into the intake, follow that to the left. Where the tubes bend down to go into the engine, on the end you will see 2 black disks there with an electrical plug on the end of each one (they are located on the end of the intake manifold). Those black disks are the Intake Manifold Tuning (IMT) valves. You undo the electrical plug and then the two 8mm bolts and the valve slide straight out. Just a note though, the lower one will not slide out while the intake manifold is bolted to the car. But, not to fret as you can back out the valve slightly, get ahold of the o-ring that is there and stretch it to fit over the end of the valve. That will get the old one off. Then you can stretch the new o-ring on to the valve. The trick is minimizing how much you stretch the o-ring.

You may want to give JPLV a call (Gaudin Jaguar-Porsche of Las Vegas). They are a Jaguar dealership that has some really good prices and they will also give you a discount if you mention that you are a member here. You can also look at the website "jaguarparts.com". They are a dealership out of Cleveland Ohio and as long as you do everything via their webpage, the prices are pretty good. JPLV and jaguarparts.com will have the clips that you are after for the cowling.

As for saving money, stick with us and we will make ownership as cheap as possible. Some people have figured out how to get parts on the cheap and others have figured out what parts are interchangeable with say a Lincoln LS or a Volvo S40 for example. By simply getting those parts (which sometimes are identical parts to the jaguar part), the price difference can be amazing.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Search the thread Brake Booster Vacuum Check Valve and there are a few very good pictures of what the IMT valves look like and their location. Or do a Google or You Tube search and I would guess you could find some videos of replacing all of these.

For the brake booster check valve hose, take a flat tipped screwdriver and push in at the black base and then at the same time pull up on the hose and it will easily disengage. Do NOT just pull the hose straight up without pushing in by the base or you will need to get a kit to fix that connection. The other end you just pull out. It does have some resistance, but you can work it out easy enough. Just press fit the new one in.