X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Share some X-Type Cosmetic mods please.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

It was a genuine Jaguar grille from the Euro-spec 2008 facelift. I bought it from Adamesh who painted it for me as well. It came in a genuine Jaguar box & all. Bolted straight on to the 2005MY car no issues what so ever. Wasn't cheap though...

Here http://www.adamesh.co.uk/jaguar-x-ty...tyle-508-p.asp

Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

That is a bit pricey on the grille, but I guess most Jag parts are.
I been searching junkyards, I hope to find a black 2008 I can rob the hood and grille off of, rather not cover the hood in a skin or the di noc as a first choice.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey, I had an incident and it spurred an idea.
There is the lil piece of plastic that runs on the underside of the doors, the lowest piece like the one you would remove for an effects kit.

I hit something and mine came loose in the back and it looks SWEET! If you loosen the hardware holding it on, leave the front edge factory flush, but tighten it back in place with the rear of it about 1 or 1-1/2 inches sticking out it just looks great. I did not do it because there is a crack, piece of missing plastic on the top edge of mine, so no picture, but hope I got the idea across.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's some easy things I added to my X-type to give it a bit more style and function:

Genuine Jaguar trunk mat and cargo net kit:

Real leather gear shift cover and parking brake cover plus 2-cup holder console:

Rear door treadplates:

Attached Thumbnails Share some X-Type Cosmetic mods please.-x_type_assc_2_zps0df6a1d7.jpg   Share some X-Type Cosmetic mods please.-x_type_assc_7_zps04261299.jpg   Share some X-Type Cosmetic mods please.-x_type_assc_3_zps8d2001a3.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 08-12-2014, 03:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X type mods

Share some X-Type Cosmetic mods please.-image.jpgMina Grill, Chrome Mirrors, 20 inch b7 Borghini wheels, Tinted Windows, Chrome Vents, Jag Plate, chrome pillars

Old 04-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesy1974xtype
I've fitted an aftermarket stereo/my android phone shown on this thread.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...23/#post685224

I've also added a couple of low cost bits as follows.

Smoked indicators.
Red hub caps.
Colour coded jag badge on grille.
I debadged the rear.
Tinted the windows and sun strip. Sun strip isn't for cosmetic reasons. I just don't think any manufacuturer screens the space between the visors properly. REALLY annoying.
Added a retro jag badge to the bonnet. It has a fiddly fitting through the bonnet catch. (I probably should have just used 3M foam tape, but anyway it's going nowhere now.) I huffed and puffed a few times before attempting that. Dreaded the thought of going to a body shop with my tail between my legs and trying to explain how I'd cocked it up.

It already had the body kit and mesh grilles.
man i love those rims. what are they?

Old 11-28-2016, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kalacho2006
just add a red stripes and red wheel lips, next proyect is wrap hood,roof and trunk with some carbon fiber 1080 or dinoc.

Some people should not be allowed nice things.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:33 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kalacho2006
just add a red stripes and red wheel lips, next proyect is wrap hood,roof and trunk with some carbon fiber 1080 or dinoc.

Which brake kit did you go with?

Old 03-09-2017, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar

Originally Posted by Thermo
innzane, I have done a few, but nothing to really make the car stand out. More something to make people realize I did something different, but not be able to put their fingers on what I have done.

I painted the chrome bumper corners to match the body. I did the same treatment to the piece above the license plate, but left the word "Jaguar" in chrome. Then I removed all the badging on the back of the car. I also color matched the trim piece at the bottom of the bumper where the backup sensors sit. Like I said, nothing spectacular, but it gets peoples attention.

This is what I did to the front. Here I color matched the grille surround, the chrome bumper corner pieces, and the splitter in the lower radiator intake.

If you can do your own painting, you can do all of this for around $50.

Beyond that, keep looking. There are a few things that others have done. I am also in the process of doing a complete LED transformation and I am doing it the "hard way" by using 10MM LEDs and wiring them up, not using the store bought pieces. I get better lighting and the cost is much less. But, you have to know how to wire in LEDs and the like.
How exactly did you paint the chrome trim

Old 03-10-2017, 05:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Vunnal, I removed the trim from the car first off. Can you paint it on the car. Sure. But, I have found that most likely you will end up leaving a little bit of chrome somewhere. So, removing the pieces is the better way to go. Besides, once you factor in the time spent masking off stuff, it is about the same time it would have taken to remove the pieces.

Once you get the pieces off, you will want to use some 400 grit sand paper to scuff up the chrome surface to give the paint something to bite into. At that point, get yourself some etching prime (this is not a normal primer) and paint the pieces. The etching primer will bite into the chrome to allow the paint to stick once you apply color. Once you have the etching primer on, paint the pieces like you would any other item.

Please note, the lip on the trunk lid still has the word "JAGUAR" in chrome. This is my twist on things. If you decide to do this, sand the piece like mentioned above, but don't sand down into the letters. Then fill the letters (keeping the piece pointing straight up) with Elmer's white glue. Let the glue dry. Use a toothpick to push the glue to fill the letters completely and keep adding glue till it is bubbled up about as far as it will go before spilling. This needs to be done to give you something to grab on to later when you remove the glue. After the glue is dried, paint the piece, but remove the glue before you put the final layer of clear on the piece.

Kinda like the Jaguar emblem on the grille simply comes off by removing the fasteners on the back side. I then reinstalled it once the piece was painted. This left just enough chrome to stand out.

If you need more help, let me know. Removing the bumpers may sound like a big job, but after doing it once, you will figure out that it is pretty easy to do.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just very minor stuff for me - Jaguar badge for the bonnet/hood, chrome washer covers, Jaguar decals for the door mirrors, new wheel hub covers to match the bodywork

Old 03-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Cambo, where do you bought that mesh grill without the split in the middle?I saw a red X-Type for sale on the Cargurus had the grill like yours, but can't able to find out where they sale them.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Grill mod on 2006 X

LED light strip in hood lighting up the chrome mesh grill. Flash sorta mucked the pic with reflective glare, but you get the idea, looks nice.

Attached Thumbnails Share some X-Type Cosmetic mods please.-20170312_224154.jpg  
Old 03-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Just a few subtle mods 😈

Old 03-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL - 2nd time today I've seen the name Kalamazoo - my friend from Reese sent me a weather report video

Old 03-13-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveJessop
LOL - 2nd time today I've seen the name Kalamazoo - my friend from Reese sent me a weather report video
YEAAAHHHHH I don't want to talk about it! Hahaha

The following users liked this post:
DaveJessop (03-13-2017)
Old 04-01-2018, 03:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Goo Gone is amazing

Originally Posted by Thermo
innzane, I have done a few, but nothing to really make the car stand out. More something to make people realize I did something different, but not be able to put their fingers on what I have done.

I painted the chrome bumper corners to match the body. I did the same treatment to the piece above the license plate, but left the word "Jaguar" in chrome. Then I removed all the badging on the back of the car. I also color matched the trim piece at the bottom of the bumper where the backup sensors sit. Like I said, nothing spectacular, but it gets peoples attention.

This is what I did to the front. Here I color matched the grille surround, the chrome bumper corner pieces, and the splitter in the lower radiator intake.

If you can do your own painting, you can do all of this for around $50.

Beyond that, keep looking. There are a few things that others have done. I am also in the process of doing a complete LED transformation and I am doing it the "hard way" by using 10MM LEDs and wiring them up, not using the store bought pieces. I get better lighting and the cost is much less. But, you have to know how to wire in LEDs and the like.

This is not exactly a mod, but I had to share something I just discovered while cleaning up the old X Type after two years of sitting. I did the Thermo rear end mod years ago so my truck trim is the same and I couldn't remember if all of these cars had the Growler in the button or not so I resurrected this thread. I thought I saw something under there, so wiped a few times with some Goo Gone and voila, a Growler. I notice you can see it on some and some you can't, maybe they're just dirty, lol.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:18 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Talking COSMETIC

I read with horror your posts on how to ruin a perfectly good motor. It's bad enough that you have the steering wheel on the wrong side and call parts by a wrong name--Hood/Trunk. Rotors etc.
Just be aware that if you go too far the Jaguar police fairies will come in the night and mess with your dangly bits.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

No growler on my 2006, the badge has Jaguar a bit closer together and trunk button release is in the underside of the badge. I am adding more lighting when it warms up (it's a sickness now, lmao).