X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some reassurance please?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some reassurance please?

New to this forum, new to Jag, and new to having to ask total strangers for assistance, so let me dive right in. At age 65 I realized I had never owned a Jaguar and decided to avail myself of the opportunity.

Not having the financial prowess to order a new Jag I settled on buying what I could afford which turns out to be a beautifully maintained 2002 X with less than 100K miles. It just performs and drives beautifully, indeed everything about the car is a just as I dreamed.

That of course was LAST week. Now the adventure part starts...

As the weather turned colder I noticed the sound of doors in the ventilation system seeming to open and close and then the windows would steam up to the point I couldn't see at all which ended up in my depressing many of the buttons related to the heat/ac/ventilation system in an effort to burn off the fog, but that did not turn out to be a wise move for because the motor over heated and so I parked it for an hour and a half while my wife went shopping...which cost me a considerable...but I digress.

When cooled down, I checked the oil, checked the water and saw no problem. When I restarted the car the temp was fine, no fog, and I drove home about 30 miles without further incident.

I read a few things on this site about an air filter becoming soggy, but with my meager knowledge I can't relate that to the temporary overheating issue.

I really need to resolve both problems ... I want to get to no fogging and no overheating...which I imagine had something to do with my pushing all the buttons on the dash in desperation to clear the fog... any help and suggestions would be appreciated....

I love my little Jag.

Thanks, Tom

Last edited by JimC64; 11-21-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: PLEASE CREATE LINE BREAKS!!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hey there and welcome aboard ....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Sorry I can't help but rest assured some of the in the know twech DIY gurus will be along shortly

Good luck

Old 12-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Hopefully this url will take you to where u need to b to c whats going on with the fogging

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...2&d=1262224022

Without more info, cant help with the other issue, did the check engine light come on?

Old 12-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Don't use Super Glue for this procedure, as mentioned in the file from iownme, but rather something more substantial like JB Weld.

Fogging windows is a common problem, I had it with my 2002 X-Type, also.

There are also posts on a plugged drain tray that can also cause the fog.

If you don't want to tackle it yourself, having a shop do it should not be very expensive.

The overheating is likely due to a bad thermostat, another relatively inexpensive fix, yet a bit more involved.

Do a search of the forums for both items to get a better idea of both.

I doubt that the overheating is related to just "pushing all the buttons on the dash".

Just coincidence.

The soggy filter is the Cabin Air Filter that does not get properly installed or sealed up, and rain/road spray sog it up. Many posts in the forum about that, too.

The "Search" button is a wonderful forum tool!

Last edited by Bruce in North Dakota; 12-02-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

akajama, from the sounds of things, your problem is stemming from a bad radiator fan control module. You can verify this by simply starting the motor after letting it sit all night and then turning the A/C system on to max A/C (dial the temp as low as it will go). This will force the fans to run at full blast. Are you getting a nice gentle blowing (if anything at all) or is it blowing your hair around like you are out in a good wind? You should be getting a good wind blowing at this point. If you are not, then odds are your fan module is bad and you need a new one.

if you need more help, let me know.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all! With your help i found the access to the pollen filter cleaned it and found the door behind it was closed, so pushed it back open. Ended the fog immediately. As for the engine heating problem, i have not experienced it again. So, we keep driving with fingers crossed. I love this little car. Thanks and merry christmas to all! If you don't do christmas then "happy day"! I appreciate the help!

Old 12-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

akejama
Don't have any specifics from your post but I'll throw this out.FYI
Weak antifreeze can gell in the radiator at moderately low temp when the car is moving at highway speed and cause the engine to over heat then when sat for a period it will thaw and as the ambient temperature raises during the day the problem goes away. A simple $5.00 tester from auto parts or Walmart will give you a idea of what it is. A good 50/50 mix should run -30*deg. to -40*deg. if it's up around 0 deg. or higher I would have it flushed and filled with Dex Cool.Being it's a 02 and you just got it if it's original even with low miles it COULD be suspect.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Note, the thermostat housing is plastic, and comes with the top radiator hose and thermostat, it's about $120 from online parts houses.

"IF" your top radiator/thermostat hose is original, you might consider purchasing this assembly and changing it. They are prone to cracking and you've already had a thermostat issue. It's not too hard a DIY job. But the 4 bolts on the housing can be a bit of a pain without good tools.

Also, the idler/tensioner for the water pump (on the end of the valve cover, driven by the camshaft) has a tendency to go bad. They are cheap and probably should be changed at the 100,000 mile mark, if not already changed. This will cause overheating due to shredding the belt.