X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somewhat faint whoosh sound that's dependent on engine RPMs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somewhat faint whoosh sound that's dependent on engine RPMs?

I've noticed this whoosh sound (sort of like the whoosh of turning fan blades) that gets faster the higher I rev my engine (I'd say at about 3500rpm it's like 4 whoosh per second, for example). I can't seem to pinpoint where it is coming from. It doesn't matter whether or not I am in park, neutral, drive, reverse, whatever. It seems to only be dependent on my engine rpms (it happens whether or not I'm moving). I don't know if it is something I should be concerned about. It is fairly faint, and so far none of my friends/family could hear what I was talking about. I think it is coming from the front half of the car, that's about all I know. From sitting in the drivers seat it almost sounds like it's near the tire. It must be something in my engine. Am I just being paranoid and its the sound of the crankshaft or something?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

sqenixs, did you just recently have an oil change done? If so, I would check the level of the oil. It may be that they over filled the crankcase and what you are hearing is the crank splashing through the oil. I would also say to check your overflow bottle to make sure that it is at the proper height. If you have a head gasket failure, that could also introduce more fluid into the crank case. But, if you are getting water into the oil, this will be pretty obvious as soon as you pull out the dip stick after running the engine as you will have a nice gray milkshake on the dipstick.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
sqenixs, did you just recently have an oil change done? If so, I would check the level of the oil. It may be that they over filled the crankcase and what you are hearing is the crank splashing through the oil. I would also say to check your overflow bottle to make sure that it is at the proper height. If you have a head gasket failure, that could also introduce more fluid into the crank case. But, if you are getting water into the oil, this will be pretty obvious as soon as you pull out the dip stick after running the engine as you will have a nice gray milkshake on the dipstick.
I actually had an oil change a while ago. It's been ~3900 miles, almost time for another one. I definitely don't have water in the oil. Could it be a joint/shaft or something between the engine and the transmission?