Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sooo my car got hit .... again

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sooo my car got hit .... again

Hey,

About 7 months ago, I was rear ended by my friend. The bumper, left panel, trunk, and sensor bar all had to be replaced. The total cost was about $7000, and left me without a car for about three - four weeks (when the car was taken apart, they saw that they needed many many more parts, and just left it sitting until the parts came in). Anyways, so after the long wait, I got my car back, and it looked as good as new, they did a great job.

So today, I was parked in a space, and inside at the bank. Some guy in big, old truck got mixed up and floored it instead of hitting the brakes. He must have about a 15 second reaction time because he managed to floor it across two parking spaces, over two curbs and through a bush, then landing his bumper into my driver's side rear door/quarter panel.

I have a 2004 X-type 3.0, so the bluebook value of it is about 12.5k. I'm trying to figure out of my car will be totalled or not, I'm taking it into the autobody shop tomorrow. The rear door will have to be replaced, and the panel that is between the rear wheel and the rear door is totally smashed in, and will have to be replaced as well. It doesn't appear that his bumper hit my tire; so the damages are pretty limited to just those two panels.

So, do you think replacing the left rear door, and the rear left quarter panel will cost 12.5k + ?

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2009, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Sorry to hear about two nasty incidents .Not that being an expert I don't think those would cost 12.5 k . BTW, just in case have your wheel checked in by tyre shop or service because of some "unseen" damages . I mean at the appearance your wheel might be OK but only a test machine will tell ya truth

Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures would help, but I'd say it's probably gonna be totalled. I'm sorry dude, I just got hit a month ago too, but not THAT bad. If it gets totalled, maybe you'll end up with something even better...

Old 09-09-2009, 04:00 PM

yea def now... if u can get the cash in ur hand u can do wonders if ur looking for a new car... hell, a gmc pick up doesnt sound/look so bad if u get the rite model n price...

Old 09-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Man, that must be depressing. Sorry to hear about your luck. I'm certainly no expert on the cost of crash damages and if it is a door and quatre panel and no other real interal structural things I would have to guess the insurance company would elect to fix it. However, I don't believe that determination is made strictly on whether the repairs would cost more than the book value of the car. I think they base it on something like 70%-80% of the book value. If repairs are over that they would total it.

One thing about if it would get totaled, if you aren't satisfied with what they offer for it and can show them what other X's that are comparable to yours in the area are selling for they will take that into consideration. Plus, make sure they are aware of any options that are on the car. Liek don't let them quote you for a 2.5 base model and you have a 3.0 liter sport. Plus, it's factory options, you won't get paid if you put a $3000 aftermarket stereo in.

Either way, hope it all works out for you as best it can and let us know the results.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Fedekz
Hey,

About 7 months ago, I was rear ended by my friend. The bumper, left panel, trunk, and sensor bar all had to be replaced. The total cost was about $7000, and left me without a car for about three - four weeks (when the car was taken apart, they saw that they needed many many more parts, and just left it sitting until the parts came in)
I work in a bodyshop and what else did you expect them to do with your car while they were waiting for the new parts?

Old 09-09-2009, 08:32 PM

Man that sucks, I'm sorry!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by BuckMR2
I work in a bodyshop and what else did you expect them to do with your car while they were waiting for the new parts?

It sat for an extended period of time, they knew I wasn't a legal adult (not 18), so I couldn't get a rental car even though the insurance approved one. So it was just very inconvenient, I'm really not mad at the autobody shop, I'm just pist off that the whole situation happened .... and it just happened again.

Here are the pictures of the car.

Name:  IMAG0060.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  69.2 KBName:  IMAG0058.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  73.8 KBName:  IMAG0059.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  59.5 KB