Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spacer for aftermarket stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spacer for aftermarket stereo?

Hi all,

I've fit my sony 1-din stereo into my xtype without any major hassle,apart from the fact the stereo isn't wide enough (it's a standard 1-din size) to fasten to the cage of the x-type properly.

Can anyone offer any advice on where to get a spacer or something which will let me fix my stereo to the x-type's cage?

Many thanks

Old 04-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 04-29-2010, 05:23 PM

Alas google already let me down That link's just for the spacer to fill the empty gap from the double-din stereo What I need is a spacer to fit the actual aftermarket din to the cage as the cage is far too wide for the stereo

Old 04-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

As far as aftermarket stereo parts for the jag, the supply is pretty limited.
You can try www.crutchfield.com

Old 04-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Negative, crutchfield doesnt carry X Type install kits I checked there already.

Hmm... I have one more place to look but I dont have the link on this computer. Post up the exact model of headunit, that will help. I'll check on it when I get on my home computer later on.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:44 AM

Thanks for that, it's a sony mex-BT2500, standard din size unit really, just that the jag's cage is too wide

Old 05-06-2010, 10:47 AM

Hi, I have a Sony MEX BT4700 fitted to my X-Type (Pictures below).

I have that double DIN face plate / spacer, whatever you call it mentioned by ufoz8mycow. For reference I will just call it spacer.
The cage I got with the stereo, I put that through the front of the spacer. To secure it, there is little grooves / flaps on the top and bottom of the cage on each side, I used a screwdriver and pliers to flip them around and tighten them onto the lip of the spacer (can't describe it any better) and then the stereo just fits into the cage nicely. I did make the mistake of putting the cage through the top slot in the spacer leaving the empty tray area at the bottom but I realised the stereo is too deep to fit into the dash and it had to go at the bottom as there is more space there. So I had to loosen the metal flaps on the cage from the spacer and then put it on the bottom half of the spacer and tightened the flaps on the cage back again onto the lip of the spacer. This resulted in the whole cage not as tight as it was originally as I had now bent the metal a few times but even still when I put the stereo in and it being quite heavy and putting force on the thin lip, it fits in nice and snug and doesnt move around and feels strong. Maybe you could put something under the stereo to take the pressure off the lip but I didnt and its still going tough. Hope I haven't jinxed it!
Without the supplied stereo cage, the stereo is just too narrow to fit in the original cage through the spacer. The way I have it now, it is not screwed in through the sides, just sitting in the stereo cage which is fastened to the spacer.

If the pictures are too dark, save them and increase the brightness. Hope this information helps...

Old 05-06-2010, 10:58 AM

this is the cage I am talking about: You can see little flaps, they need to be flipped over and tightened onto the lip of the spacer:
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/4190.html