X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky suspension? May not be your shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Squeaky suspension? May not be your shocks

I assume my front struts are in need of being replaced. They take bumps rather roughly and squeak occasionally. However I found this on youtube yesterday and it makes sense especially on high mileage cars that are getting squeaky. You can spray all the rubber bushings in your suspension with ATP AT-205, and it will condition the rubber and get rid of the squeaking! Definitely more affordable and simpler alternative to replacing all the bushings. I may give this a try after I install my springs just as some preventative maintenance. Nothing is worse than a squeaky car going over speed bumps. Definitely worth $20 if it can get rid of the noises and put some new life back into older bushings.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

That doesn't "put new life" into worn out bushings. It only stops the noise for a while by being a lubricant temporarily, but they big problem with bushings and high mileage cars is that they degrade and no longer hold their shape under load so the suspension geometry changes as you go around turns or over bumps. The X is known to have this happen over time, like many cars. And shocks don't necessarily squeak when they go bad, they make kind of a hissing sound when compressed.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:41 PM

Where can you get the bushings? I looked on ebay and only found individual replacements and they were all pretty expensive. I was hoping to find a good set of them.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:43 AM

Polyurethane bushings or regular ones? For poly bushings there is a guy in the UK that sells them, I bought some from him, whole sets and individual bushings. A whole set will cost like 500 US. For standard replacements most people buy new control arms with new bushings already in them.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:09 PM

Wow, that's a little out of my budget for now but you should try them. I bet they would go nice with your coil overs. It might be something I would think about doing down the line. It looks like he also sells them individually too so that may be an option if you are just looking for a few particular pieces. Probably the whole set would be the way to go though. As for the atp-205, I am not sure all it does is lubricate. I believe it's a polymer that makes plastic and rubber expand. That's how it's supposed to stop leaks. I'm not sure whether or not this would improve worn out bushings any like you said, but my guess would be that it would slightly in addition to quieting the squeaks. I'm sure it's no replacement for new bushings, but for $15 or $20 a bottle, compared to $100's for new bushings, I think it's worth a shot. It's not going to repair thrashed bushings but it may condition older ones enough for an extra 50,000 miles.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Like Justin said, all it will do is temporarily lubricate them to stop a squeaking condition. If they are worn, they're worn. Period. Nothing will make them like new again. They might be quieter for a while that's all.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:01 PM

Like I said, I already did buy some from him. Once I install everything I'll have only poly bushings and Heim joints (rod ends) in my suspension, no stock bushings at all. I'm trying to get everything done this coming week since I'm on spring break. I have a few other suspension mods I'm working on that people have been trying to do, i only know of like one, and some things no one has done to an x type yet. But I've ben planning out my suspension build and buying parts since day one, so over a year now. I actually ordered the coilovers the day I bought the car ha.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:28 PM

That's cool. I would've liked to get the coilovers but unfortunately I'm still paying off my car because I just bought it. Did they include the struts too? If so that is actually not an unreasonable price considering stock struts are $500 and the lowering springs are another $300. I think the lowering springs will be low enough for what I'm looking for. I looked at the coilovers and the rears actually lower as much as the springs. But for that nice slammed front look the coilovers would be the way to go. I think I'll be happy with the springs though... Just wanted to get rid of that granny feel to my car, not that there's anything wrong with the stock height. I just felt it needed a little bit of a race car edge to it.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:34 PM

Coilovers are shocks and springs together. On most cars they are height adjustable front and rear but for some reason the rears aren't adjustable. But yes, you get 4 springs and 4 shocks, as a matched set. One of the reasons they are worth it. They were 1300 shipped and like you said, when stock shocks are 500 and lowering springs are like 300 they aren't that costly. Just getting quality upgraded shocks will run you like 800 bucks anyway. And since the front shocks were blown when I bought the car it was an easy choice. I had extra cash since I got the x I wanted for less than I planned to spend so I had the money to do it right away. I dont buy cars on credit anymore, I did that once, I dont like the debt hanging over me for something I need so much.