X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock fog bulb holders

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default stock fog bulb holders

hey guys, i want to put in HID fogs in my girls jag x without her knowing, to successfully do this i need to get a spare set of these fog bulb holders, does anyone know where i can get them? part number?
seeing that this car shares a lot of ford parts, is there a ford part number for this?
if anyone on here has them kicking around please let me know..i need them so i can hollow them out and attach the HID bulbs in them, its the only way i can think of to get this to work. i tried 9005 and 9006 bulbs, neither fit properly and i dont want to modify the housing.
i tried searching ebay but no idea what they are called.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

you just need to make the tabs on the 9006 thinner and that bulb goes right in. start with drivers side since there is more room over there.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:33 PM

are you sure thats all i have to do?
do i make it thinner on the outside of the tabs or the inside of the tab on the glass side?
im assuming its on the outside...
i have some 9006 bulbs now and i also have some H3 bulbs...the base is similar and if im modifying the stock bulb holder anyway these will fir in. also the glass section is not as tall so it will give more room inside the housing.

shes been complaining that her stock fogs are absolute junk(and they are. her HID fogs came in the mail today, they are part of her Christmas present (hope she doesnt come on here int he next couple days....)
i still havent sorted out her stock HID issues so i figure these will be a good secondary light incase her stocks wont turn on again...im also looking into the D2S adaptor to use aftermarket ballasts, total cost would be about $70 for 2 ballasts and the conversion wire...sure beets spending a few hundred each on Hella ballasts and ignighters.....

Old 12-31-2010, 09:14 PM

well i got them in... after dremiling the first bulb tabs every wich way i found out they are too long not too thick..the 2nd bulb was only a couple min to dremil because i knew how it was to be chaped, the first one is thinned out a little more than it needed but its still got enough plastic on it.

hid bulbs work amazing on this car, i think its because they have a clear lens on the fog housing and there arent lots of little reflectors, just the back of the housing.
on my cts the fogs have reflectors on the lens so the light doesnt really evenly fill up the lens...there is a dull square on each..its not a big deal and the light projects the right direction so its all good.

bottom line is she is happy with her Christmas present.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

awesome. I told you it would work... and far less ghetto than modifying the stock base to get an h1 hid to work.

The following users liked this post:
cool_jag (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you sir. That bulb adapter looked too close to a 900# bulb for it not to work somehow. You just confirmed my suspicions.

I wasn't diggin the idea of drilling through and puttying the adapter.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of confused on this thread. Is this thread a way around to putting HID fogs without drilling through the stock housings? I ordered a set of H1 hid kit with ballasts and all but I am kind of nervous into drilling through my stock housings and covering it up with silicone....

Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagXType620
Kind of confused on this thread. Is this thread a way around to putting HID fogs without drilling through the stock housings? I ordered a set of H1 hid kit with ballasts and all but I am kind of nervous into drilling through my stock housings and covering it up with silicone....
Yes. Drilling the factory holders to fit in H1 aftermarket HIDs is a total hack. Even an HID purist (like me) who quotes lumen values and optimal positioning of the arc for output can't refute this. If you drill the factory holder, there is little chance the arc will be positioned properly, the heat from the bulb may cause issues with the glue loosening up at temp, you can't go back to OEM to sell your car without buying those bulb adapters again, etc.

Since HID bulbs are so cheap ($20/pair or so on ebay), just get 9006 and modify the bases slightly (by the way, this is much less work than modifying the factory H1 bulb holders with a drill and dremel and glue) and they insert like a factory bulb. Spend 30 minutes on this instead of 60 minutes plus glue/epoxy drying time.