Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sunroof won't open/controls don't work

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:28 AM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default sunroof won't open/controls don't work

So my sunroof will tilt open, but it won't slide back. And the sunroof button has an issue as well. The back half of it doesn't work at all. Press it, nothing. So it won't slide back.

The forward half will tilt it open. But since the back half of the switch doesn't work, I gotta press the forward half again to tilt it closed. But when I do that, it tilts closed and goes straight to attempting to slide back. It only makes it back about an inch before it stops. Then I have to press the forward half of the button again to slowly and carefully close it up and line the glass with the roof (so I won't get any leaks).

Am I making sense? Not sure where to start. Also doesn't seem like its tilting open as much as it should. From the outside, it looks like it's tilted open about a 1/2-3/4 inches. Most sunroofs I've had opened up about 1-1.5 inches.

Last edited by AML; 06-18-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dumb question here.... (I haven't had a sun roof in decades, and I'm new to Jaguar and haven't really taken a good look at mine.....) But have you checked the tracks to see if there is anything block the tracks?

Old 06-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I took my car out just now. I tend to leave the sun roof open in the garage during the summer because it's so hot. And I noticed... If the sun roof is closed, your not gonna see any tracks. So ignore my post...

Old 06-18-2011, 10:17 PM
AML

The tracks look clear as far as I can see when I have the roof tilted up. I'll have to take the console thing up there out and check the wiring.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got the exact same problem - i.e. only the front button works. Would be great to find out the solution

Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Here is some info. You might to replace some parts.

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

have you tried the sunroof reset? Do a search, only involves the forward button so......

Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

I would venture to guess that based on the information provided, that the button is starting to go. Let me get home from work and look at the diagrams and I will tell you two wires to short together to bypass the tilt-close pushbutton. If the jumper causes the sunroof to close promptly and if left will cause the sunroof to open all the way, then that confirms the switch is bad. But, let me confirm the diagrams as I am running off of memory at the moment.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1998 Xj8 and am having a similar problem with my sunroof. It wants to stay partially open most of the time. when I use the button to close it it will go to the closed but tilted position and even if I release the button will continue to fully open. Is there a synch procedure for the XJ like the one described for the X type by motorcarman???????

Old 07-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

You should post in the X308 forum but here are the TSBs for diagnosis and repair for the sunroof (same roof for 1995 to 2003)

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 07-09-2011, 02:57 PM
AML

Sorry for the late update and replies guys, I've been on vacation and work has been occupying much of my time putting in a sickening 70 hours a week the past month.

sidewalkman, I tried the reset procedure.

1. Press the front of the sliding roof rocker switch and hold it until the roof has tilted open fully. Note: Sliding roof moves to fully tilted position and stops. Works good for me.
2. Release the switch. Good.
3. Press the front of the sliding roof rocker switch again and continue to hold it until the sliding roof panel briefly pops up higher. Problem. When I do this step the roof proceeds to close and then goes straight to attempting to slide back, only making it about an 1 inch back before stopping. There is no briefly popping up higher for me.
4. Release the switch.
5. Within 5 seconds, press the front of the sliding roof rocker switch again and continue to hold it while the roof panel slides fully open and then closed
again and stops. I obviously cannot continue onto this step because of the issues from step 3. If I press it again, it'll just go to tilting open.
4. Release sliding roof rocker

In its current operation the roof will not stop in the closed position automatically. I have to aim for closed as best as I can and release the switch before it moves any further than I'd like for it to be closed.

Originally Posted by Thermo
I would venture to guess that based on the information provided, that the button is starting to go. Let me get home from work and look at the diagrams and I will tell you two wires to short together to bypass the tilt-close pushbutton. If the jumper causes the sunroof to close promptly and if left will cause the sunroof to open all the way, then that confirms the switch is bad. But, let me confirm the diagrams as I am running off of memory at the moment.
It would make sense since it's the switch since the back half of the button doesn't respond at all, but that doesn't explain why the roof doesn't even slide back all the way. On all the other threads I've read, even with the back half button being unresponsive, the roof itself still functions properly - tilting and sliding all the way. Resetting took care of those people's issues. Could be both motor and switch for me?

I took the console out this afternoon to take a look at it. But I couldn't figure out how to get to the switch itself. There was a connector and a box sitting right above where the switch was. I tried taking the box off but it wouldn't budge.

I'll take a video of it and upload for you guys.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:09 PM
AML
Old 07-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

AML, listening to the video, you have some gearing problems in the motor. It may be that the position sensor for the sunroof is fubar and that is causing your front half of the sunroof button issues. But, the rear button is definitely done. Unfortunately, it is looking like the switch and control module are an integrated unit. I would say to find a local junk yard and see if you can get your hands on a new upper console and put a new module in and see what happens from there.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Strangely , I do have a similar glitch on my XJ40 too . When closing the roof you should hear a heavy metal noise that indicates that your sunroof is fully closed . I didn't hear it yesterday , took a look and it was not fully closed as your X Type

I pushed the button and moved it all the way back and forth , it was not closing as it should . I later gave it a push with my hand and managed to lock it up but not satisfied at all

Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 AM

Me too! Me too! I tried the forward and hold she tilts but no bump up on second forward attempt. when she tries to close from full open she closes with a bump tilt then re-opens. My switch seems to work for open and close, she just wont park.

Last edited by ruaporpoise; 07-11-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

This is what happened , next day I opened the sunroof 3/4 way back , I got home and with the car idling in N I pressed the button and it worked marvellously .I did 3 times open and close and each time sunroor worked brilliantly .I think playing with the sunroof when in motion is not a good idea considering some convertibles can't close their roofs at all

Old 11-03-2019, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by AML
How can I get to watch this? I recently have been having issues with my sunroof, and need help.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

8 year old thread. Doubt you'll get a response for the code to view it.