X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap out standard stereo With Nav System?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Swap out standard stereo With Nav System?

I bought a 2003 X Type a few months back, and It has a bubble on the temp control screen, and i found out the CD player doesn't work after I bought the car. So basically, I am looking at replacing the whole center console.

I have looked into after market stereos, but seems like those are expensive, and I will have to rewire the entire car and possibly even swap out the speakers to get one to work, plus I haven't seen an after-market stereo that looks very good in an X type.

So I have a possibility to buy a Jaguar Touch Screen Navigation system with a cassette deck on it, that would replace the Climate Control and CD player. And would also allow me to plug in an iPod using the cassette tape converter.

My questions is... can I easily swap out the original standard factory stereo for the Navigation system unit? Or is this a much more complicated upgrade than that? If so what is required to do this?

If anyone has successfully done this, please let me know.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

OK, I looked into that originally too. Here's what you will run into. You also need to get the DVD player that sits in the trunk, the GPS system runs the maps off a DVD that runs on this. First issue, I think it's a fiber connection on some cars and cpp;er on others, never did figure it ourt. I have the Premium system adds a whole other layer of issues.

GPS has an antenna so you need to wire that. Older models have the cassette and new the CD, might be a different wiring loom. You can get the nav with a CD, flaebay had them for <400.00.

My thoughts were why spend around 500 bucks for a technology that is circa 2000 when for 700 you can update your system to have NAV, play DVD, MP3, include bluetooth and have satellite radio. Looks better too than the POS stock unit with phone buttons on it!

Old 06-22-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
My thoughts were why spend around 500 bucks for a technology that is circa 2000 when for 700 you can update your system to have NAV, play DVD, MP3, include bluetooth and have satellite radio. Looks better too than the POS stock unit with phone buttons on it!
What option is this?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by lazerbrains
What option is this?
Buy a double DIN unit, aftermarket, get the steering stalk control piece, get the Metra grey dash fascia and have a car that looks like its from this ERA.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Buy a double DIN unit, aftermarket, get the steering stalk control piece, get the Metra grey dash fascia and have a car that looks like its from this ERA.
I heard a few things that say it is isn't that easy. I have heard that the wiring is Fibre Optic, and in order to put in a aftermarket deck, you had to redo the wiring in the car, and also that most Double Din decks are too deep and won't fit due to the air venting behind the stereo. From other threads in this forum, it says there are only two decks that will fit. Is that true?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM

Does anyone else have any insight into this topic. Has anyone successfully upgraded from the standard stereo/climate control to the Nav system?

Or does anyone have any knowledge of a good Double Din system that would look nice and fit in the X-type, without having to change out the speakers and speaker wiring?
I am mainly looking to have Ipod connectivity or at the very least a working CD player. Nav isn't necessary, I just like the way the Nav system looks in the X-type. I'm a sucker for touch screen controls.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looks like I have a bracket for a CD Changer

I took off the side panel in the trunk. Looks like I have a bracket for a CD Changer but nothing is there. Is it a straight plug in for a new CD Changer? If I swap out the stock radio for a Nav system, will one slot have to be deticated to the Nav DVD?

Old 07-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Received 61 Likes on 7 Posts

It can definitely be done but will cost you. x-dave has done this upgrade to his car. It will take some engineering of your own and patience but you can do it. Im not sure how it will work if you have the premium sound system as was mentioned earlier.

Here is a link to x-daves write up on how to do this: Jaguar Forum.co.uk &bull; View topic - Retrofitting touch screen sat nav controls

I am doing this same project and trust me, its tough trying to get all the parts together. Once I do get the parts the install should be pretty straight forward. Im not sure how programming works though. Im sure I will have to take it to the dealership and have them program everything.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

When I bought my X Type the 6 CD changer in the trunk didn't work. This seems to have been a common problem, and I tried to fix it myself and utterly failed. I could have replaced it for $200 or so, or.... Why bother with CD when what I really need is to hook up my iPod to the car, which is what I ended up doing.

I've never had navigation for my car, and I'm okay with that. I've been driving some thirty years without it so I can live a few more years without it. The one time in the past few years I got lost I had my cell phone on me, and that was easy enough to work.

The iPod rules. Why have DVD when I can have my entire music collection with me?

Old 07-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dumb/Luck
When I bought my X Type the 6 CD changer in the trunk didn't work. This seems to have been a common problem, and I tried to fix it myself and utterly failed. I could have replaced it for $200 or so, or.... Why bother with CD when what I really need is to hook up my iPod to the car, which is what I ended up doing.

I've never had navigation for my car, and I'm okay with that. I've been driving some thirty years without it so I can live a few more years without it. The one time in the past few years I got lost I had my cell phone on me, and that was easy enough to work.

The iPod rules. Why have DVD when I can have my entire music collection with me?

Did you hook your iPod up to the factory Jaguar stereo? Or did you hook it up to an aftermarket deck?

Old 03-07-2019, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas?

Alright, I’m looking at doing the same thing on mine but I’m not interested in the Nav side of it. Is it just a straight swap out if I’m after the same functions I had before? The gps just looks better.
any info would be perfect.
Thanks
Lewis

Old 03-11-2019, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lewis_
Alright, I’m looking at doing the same thing on mine but I’m not interested in the Nav side of it. Is it just a straight swap out if I’m after the same functions I had before? The gps just looks better.
any info would be perfect.
Thanks
Lewis

I ended up not doing the Nav. My stereo deck just didn't work and the screen was all messed up. I ended up buying used deck out of another X-Type on Ebay, and just swapped it out. Pretty simple procedure really. There wasn't much to it. Pulled the old deck out, put the new one in, plugged into the existing harness, and didn't even need a code or anything to get it working.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 393 Likes on 289 Posts