X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway Bar Bushings and A/C Compressor Confirmation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sway Bar Bushings and A/C Compressor Confirmation?

Good Morning,

After a few days with my new 2005 X-Type 3.0 with manual transmission and sport package, I'm one happy camper! Great drive and the compliments I've been getting are almost overwhelming. :-)

Pretty much everything seems to be working well, but I have noticed a couple issues I think I'll have to address and I was looking for a confirmation before I order any parts.

First, I've been getting a slight clunking sound when going over big potholes and uneven streets and yesterday I went down an alley that was really bumpy and the clunking was much louder and more frequent. I've been searching the forums and the consensus seems to be worn sway bar bushings as the most likely cause? My clunking is not metallic sounding, but more of an isolated thudding sound. Should I order up a set of front and rear sway bar bushings or should I be looking at something else?

Second, I got the car up on jack stands yesterday and the only problem I noticed is a small oil drip coming from the bottom bolt of the AC compressor. After searching the forums, it sounds like the only solution is a new compressor? I got to talking to a mechanic and he suggested just discharging the system, adding some more oil to the compressor, and recharging it as a solution. He says they do that for customers that don't want to spend a ton of money on new parts and it usually lasts for a couple years. He said the only risk is that you don't want to let the compressor run dry as it causes problems to other AC components too, but it's cheaper to just recharge every couple years. Sounds good to me if that will work on our cars. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

Last edited by theragtopman; 12-04-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Brandon, I would also look at the top mount of the shocks/struts. The rear shocks are known for having issues and creating the thuds like you are hearing. You can check them by lifting the rear of the car up in the air, then using a jack, lift the hub of the car some as you are watching the shocks. If you see the top half of the shock moving any, then you know you have a loose joint there and that is the source of your noise. Granted, the sway bar bushings can be a source of noise too. So, don't eliminate them quite yet.

As for the A/C compressor. Is the oil green or is it more brown/black? The reason why I ask is that in that area, you can also get some oil from the oil pan, which will leak down on to the compressor. That is the more likely situation.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:05 PM

Thanks Thermo! I'll check the shock mounts next weekend when I have more time to get the car lifted up again. If that is the problem, do you replace the shocks or the mounts or ???

As for the compressor, the oil is green. According to the paperwork they gave me, the dealer just replaced the oil pan gasket as it was leaking oil when they took the car in on trade, so that leak should be fixed for a while now.

Brandon

Old 12-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

My AC compressor has been leaking oil for 6 years now. Just a drop or two, is visible on the lower bolt. I wipe it off and it eventually comes back.

Still works great.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

ragtop, if you have expanded joints on the shock ends, that is a tough call. really, I would probably resort to a bounce test. For this, push down hard on a corner of the car and then quickly release. Count the number of times the car bounces up and down. 2 or less, the shocks are still doing their jobs. 3 more more, the shocks are worn out and need to be replaced.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:06 AM

Thanks for the replies cujet and Thermo!

I'm glad to hear a leaky compressor will last awhile as my dealer left that one for me to deal with, darnit. And I found out they sold it to me with a bent rim, so I have to get that fixed too.

I just checked my shocks and the bounce test was successful - just one bounce that I could see. I'll probably try replacing the sway bar bushings first to see if that helps eliminate the clunking/thudding.

Everything else is AOK and I love the car - thanks again!

Brandon

Old 12-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Thud in front while driving over bumps.

I recently experienced a similar thud sound emanating from the front of my x-type while driving over bumps. ('01 2.5L manual with 120K.)

With the car up on a lift, I could emulate the sound by grabbing the left front stabilizer link and yanking it back and forth vigorously.

New replacement link was $35. Now no thud!