X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Case Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default T-Case Problem!

Let me first start off by stating the I have never had any leaks of any kind from the T case before.

About a month ago I used wild bills t case kit for the drain and refill. After the drain I added 400ml back into the case. Everything has been fine except today, I was having my AC compressor looked at on a lift and noticed that there was leaking from around the TC.

My mechanic said that is looks to be leaking from the seal right where the passenger side axle connects to the t case. So I orderd the seal from jaguar and he is going to put it in on friday.

One thing I did notice was alot of sludge fluid build up on the bolt right under the right hand seal? Is it just coverd because of the fluid dripping down onto it or is that possibly where the leak is coming from?

Is there any special thing he should or should not remove when pulling the axle out to change the seal?

All help is greatly appreciated!

On a second note, I purchased this http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx as the fluid I am going to use to do the tranny fluid change what do you guys think as far as tranny fluid compatibility for the x? It says right on the bottle Also suitable for use in vehicles that specify the following fluid requirements: Esso LT 71141 and Idemitsu K17. I dont want to run into any problems with the tranny seals leaking after I do the fluid change? What do you guys think?

Last edited by scubayachts; 03-17-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SCUBA:
A couple of things to consider / check.
it seems that MOST frequently, when someone complains of what loos like a leaking seal at the half-shaft on that passenger side of the t-case, it's MOST often turned-out to be the vent on TOP of the T-case, weeping and then draining down the side.

I misdiagnosed this myself, shortly after buying my X-type.
I went through WAAAy too much grief trying to replace that seal, in spite of the general concensus saying that you CAN'T.
Jaguar is pretty clear that you cannot pull the half-shaft out of the T-case without damaging the inner seal, between the T-case and the Trans. My dealer assured me it was possible, so I did it. Did I damage the seal? I don't know. The issue would be intermixing of fluids between the two, and I have not noticed that to be the case.
But do this at your own risk. Jaguar says DON'T!!!
So imagine my frustration when, just weeks after I replaced the seal, the drip and smell returned! It was at this point that I discovered it was in fact the vent.
Since then, I've noticed that every time I replace the fluids, I get the weeping again, for a couple of weeks. It's most pronounced when I drive it hard.

So check carefully, and be sure you're not spending $$ needlessly.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Default ok

So how can you tell that it is the vent insted of the seal? Does anybody else have a insight on this? There is a good amount of gunk around the passenger side of the t case. If it is indeed the vent tube, why didnt I see any weeping or dripping of fluid for the first couple of week after doing the t case fluid change? I didnt take the car up to any high speeds or interstate speeds untill a couple of days ago when I came back to tampa from daytona for spring break.

Could it possibly be the inner gears throwing up the lube out the vent at those high speeds?

Last edited by scubayachts; 03-17-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Default hello?

Anybody?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

The best advice that I could tell you to do to separate the vent from the seal is to put either a cloth bag or a plastic bag (with some air inside of it) over the vent and see if the fluid gets on the inside of the bag. On the inside, it is the vent. If it is the outside, then you know it is the seal.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Could be possible you simply overfilled the case. In fact, my Jaguar dealer did this very thing during the last T-case replacment. Once I went back about the leak, they drained some fluid and problem solved.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Default ok

Well when I drained it, I only put back in 400ml of fluid. I replaced the fluid about a month and a half ago and didn't notice any leaks until I was under the car yesterday, with my mechanic.

I got the seal in this morning, should I tell him to pull that passenger side axle out a special way so the inner seal is ok?

Old 03-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scubayachts
I got the seal in this morning, should I tell him to pull that passenger side axle out a special way so the inner seal is ok?
Well, as I say; Jaguar says you CAN'T.....

My best advice is this: if he's never done one, don't let him. And if he HAS, then he'll already know how. Just be sure they understand that you'll hold them responsible if the inner seal fails.