Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC correct ml amount?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:14 PM
LEB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC correct ml amount?

From all the reading I've done here, I am assuming that the total amount the Transfer Case can hold is 600ml. I've heard that only 400ml leaves the bottom drain plug. 200ml is left in the case and can be removed from the rear flange.

I just wanted to confirm with others here, that the 550ml or so people put in through the drain plug is usually the amount needed when taking into consideration the 'big spill' when the drain plug is put back on. Well, I just refilled my tc case and did manage to get around 400ml back in. The rest of the 550ml was all over me. Ah, I love English cars.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

LEB, yes, the transfer cases when bone dry require 600 ml of fluid to be added to bring them to their proper levels. Per the JTIS, they say that you should be able to add in 500 ml on a fluid change out.

With all that being said, some go with 550 ml because they lean the car and help get the fluid out of the case and they can get most of the fluid out (more than just leaving the car on the level). So, they have to add a little more than the standard amount. Some also try to install the original plug again and they figure they are going to spill some of the fluid. SO, they add in some extra planning on some losses.

Me, I tend to add back in the full 600 ml amount. It doesn't hurt the transfer case. All you end up with is some of the extra may come out the vent during driving. So, for a few days after the fluid change, you may get a small spot to form under the car from the fluid coming out the vent. But, that is normally very little. I am also using a valve that allows me to have very little spillage when doing the fluid change out.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Chris; like you I use a one-way valve and I lose a few teaspoons during the re-fill however, you mention only a small spot on the floor should an overfill occur -When I first changed the TC oil I was enthusiastic and overfilled it. The result was strong acrid smoke smell in the car on longer runs from oil hitting the exhaust that runs just under the TC. I also found the oil being pushed out the vent was drawn down the underside making a real mess. In short overfilling for me was a real PIA that took some serious clean-up.

Is this peculiar to my overfill or have you seen this also?

Old 10-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Veteran member

Rob, During my "overfill", I got a little bit of a smell, but it wasn't anything that was truely obnoxious or worrisome. Maybe I filled it just so to minimize the amount I lost. Granted, I also started with a transfer case that was dry (ie, pulled the plug and nothing came out). So, exactly how low I was is hard to say.

As for a mess under the car, I can't say that I saw any more than what I have from a very slow oil leak that was in the car when I bought it. So, can't say that it created any mess either since there was a little bit of a mess around the motor already.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Rob, there have been other reports such as yours. Everything depends on how much is in there when you drain it. Thermo may not have had much, you might have had 200ml. That's when some suggest pulling the plug and seeing what comes out. Any comes out = 200ml left in. put in 400ml, run it for a few miles and do it again. This time you will know to put in 400ml and it also dilutes what ever nasty stuff was in there a second time. At least you know it's full of something better than what did or didn't come out.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:18 PM
LEB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My case was about bone dry. Not a drop to be seen. I did fill and flush about 3 times. May be one flush was enough but I used regular gear oil for the flushes so the cost was mostly my time. Finally put the royal purple stuff in. Even if I did manage to put in 400ml total of any decent gear oil, it's a lot better than nothing. I'll most likely take a look again in 2 months to see how it's going.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Chris & mohrd; thanks for the feedback – On my first drain I did get a full 400ml out, but in my enthusiasm I put way too much back in before stopping, I was really surprised by the mess and smell from the overspill; initially I thought I had blown a seal. It was made worse as this is my wife’s car who then started with the “what have you done to my car” routine so clean-up had to be expedited .

Rob

Old 10-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

Rob, that will teach you for trying to work on the car yourself. LMAO. Atleast she was only raising questions. I've done some things like that. C'est la vie. You know better now. No damage done, so, all is good.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys, just trying to get some opinions about flushing my transfer case. My engine is being pulled so i will have very easy access to it but how should i go about flushing it out with it off the car? Just see what comes out and add more with some type of cleaning formula and spin it around then drain? And when i do this on the final flush ill tip it over and make sure anything and evrything comes out...I would add a full 600ml back in correct??

Please let me know guys, THERMO!!!!!

Thanks!!!

Old 10-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Veteran member

I 3, if you have the chance to have full range of motion with the transfer case, I would do 2 flushes and then the final fill. On the first fill, I would simply drain the old fluid out, plug the drain, fill with about 600 ml of fluid and then drain it out. This will flush out any big chunkies and push any sludge that is in there. The second fill I would again fill with 600 ml of fluid and then rotate the input shaft to help push the fluid through all the parts to get rid of any grit, grime, etc that is there. After drain this out, I would do my final fill with 600 ml and call it good. I would at a minimum atleast do a single flush, but also spin all the components too. Having the transfer case out of the car, you will be able to rotate it and make sure you get all the grime that may be left in the bottom.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:25 PM

Hey THERMO... i may be on to something buddy. I was just tryin to help on another thread and with my piping experience here at work, let me know what you think???

replace the plug with a "street elbow" facing up and fill the transfer case accordingly. I believe with the 90 in there you will acheive the 600mls because the 90 is above the original hole. You follow? The street elbow allows you to keep fluid in the transfer case above the drain hole!!!!! No mess and just plug it when your done.

Yay....Nay????

Old 10-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Veteran member

I 3, for a fill, yes, that will work. But, I pose this question to you: On your next drain, how does the fluid come out? You are saying that by adding this elbow, it will sit high enough that the fluid will not come out when you are getting ready to cap it. This will also mean that it won't come out when you remove the cap. So, unless you plan on removing the elbow every time you drain the fluid and then using that to refill, I see just that one problem.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:36 AM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
I 3, for a fill, yes, that will work. But, I pose this question to you: On your next drain, how does the fluid come out? You are saying that by adding this elbow, it will sit high enough that the fluid will not come out when you are getting ready to cap it. This will also mean that it won't come out when you remove the cap. So, unless you plan on removing the elbow every time you drain the fluid and then using that to refill, I see just that one problem.
Assuming there is enough clearance for the street elbow to fit in the space, and also that there will be enough room to get the drain plug into it in order to leave it in place, one could just remove the drain plug and rotate the elbow counter-clockwise 180° so the opening is facing down to drain.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:47 PM

Precisely GOLD!!!! Yes once you drain it again you can either just remove it or uncap it. I would personally just take it out. Why not. I have not done this yet mind you but until someone like GOLD does it we will not totally for sure. Also the other people with the Transfer Case that has more clearance should def work.

And if you can get that street elbow in you can def get a plug in it. You can use a allan head style or one with the square on top. Wish i could take pics but my gf hogs the camera. LOL.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:07 PM

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Well this is what they look like. Try either one the galvenized or brass. 90 or 45 degree.

I will try it to do it too when my engine comes out.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Veteran member

Not to question the use of the part, but I think you are going to find that it is going to be difficult to get that elbow in there. The drain hole is tucked up pretty tight against one o the supports for the case. As it is, when I use the 1/4" NPT to 1/2" NPT adapter, I have to shave the points of the hex end to get it into place else it will not go in enough to be safe. You start adding an elbow or something like that and I think you will find that you are going to have some problems. I say try it because the part is pretty cheap, but unless you are adding a short stub tube to the elbow so the elbow is sitting out away from the transfer case, you are going to have clearance issues.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Not to question the use of the part, but I think you are going to find that it is going to be difficult to get that elbow in there. The drain hole is tucked up pretty tight against one o the supports for the case. As it is, when I use the 1/4" NPT to 1/2" NPT adapter, I have to shave the points of the hex end to get it into place else it will not go in enough to be safe. You start adding an elbow or something like that and I think you will find that you are going to have some problems. I say try it because the part is pretty cheap, but unless you are adding a short stub tube to the elbow so the elbow is sitting out away from the transfer case, you are going to have clearance issues.
Clearance problems, yes!

The elbow gets in there about one thread before it hits the rusty disc at 2o'clock from the drain hole. I was able to get the hose down into the elbow and fill that way, but I have no idea how much oil I lost between pulling out the elbow and getting the drain plug in. It felt like a ton but it has to be better than what it had before, which was bone dry.

The elbow is 1.5" long which is all the space I have to get something in there, so it fit where the valve would not. See the picture below.

Name:  IMG_2997.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  179.0 KB

Old 10-31-2010, 08:21 PM

Well worth a shot. Maybe the 45 degree would have more play? Oh well. Got the job done. LOL. I would also try a reducer and the street 90 form like 1/2 to 3/8 or even a quarter.

Ill still tinker around with it.

I tried!

Last edited by I <3 X-Type; 10-31-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by I <3 X-Type
Well worth a shot. Maybe the 45 degree would have more play? Oh well. Got the job done. LOL.

Ill still tinker around with it.

I tried!
Hey your suggestion got the job done! I don't think the 45 degree elbow would be much better, it was only about 1/8" shorter overall and the angle would have less of a chance to clear the transmission case to screw anything into it. I liked the fact that this one swiveled straight up to meet the plastic tubing.

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello,

After reading the stories of bone-dry TC's, I decided to drain and refill my '03 with 70K over the weekend. I had to use a 3/8" universal joint to fit the space. The left-right sides were level with both front wheels on ramps and I'm not exactly sure how much drained since some spilled on a rag but what the funnel caught was around 200 ml. Next time I'll have the right side elevated to drain even more.

I tried the radiator petcock and 1/2" to 1/4" ground-down adapter route but after refilling, the first and second petcocks I bought leaked. Plus, I found the petcocks to be a little flimsy because if you tighten the valve by hand and snug it with pliers the stem spins on the threads since it's only crimped-on. So, I removed the whole set-up and replaced the OE drain plug after cleaning the magnetic part of any metal bits.

With the left wheel up on a ramp, the right side on the ground and right-side tires deflated to get a little more tilt, I filled it using a hose attached to the quart bottle and squeezed in oil until it ran out. It looks to have taken a little more than 220ml. Since I have oil left, I'll repeat this procedure a couple more times to get it as clean as I can.

The process is a little messy but now that I've done it once I'll know what to do differently next time.

Good luck,

Steve

Quick Reply: TC correct ml amount?