X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theromstat Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Theromstat Removal

Can i simply remove and disregard a thermostat in a 2003 jaguar x type. Am experiencing overheating instant issues and based on previous readings i think it may be the thermostat. As long as the car is idle the temp guage read normal. A minute after trying to drive the car, the temp. guage goes instantly to the red. I live in the Bahamas and the temperature is always hot around mid 80's and above. Would the car still function normally if i was to just take out the thermostat?
Thanks for your quick reply.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

No, not good idea. The thermostat also creates a restriction to the flow of coolant. This is needed for proper heat transfer--the coolant needs to come in contact with the hot parts long enouhg to "Pick up" heat and stay in the radiator long enough to transfer the heat. You can test the thermostat once you take it out. Just put it a pot of water and heat it ip on the stove. It should open as the water heats up. If you car is getting that hot that quick something else is wrong. Your water pump could be bad, your radiator could be clogged, your fans may not be working.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXV6
No, not good idea. The thermostat also creates a restriction to the flow of coolant. This is needed for proper heat transfer--the coolant needs to come in contact with the hot parts long enouhg to "Pick up" heat and stay in the radiator long enough to transfer the heat. You can test the thermostat once you take it out. Just put it a pot of water and heat it ip on the stove. It should open as the water heats up. If you car is getting that hot that quick something else is wrong. Your water pump could be bad, your radiator could be clogged, your fans may not be working.
I agree removing the thermostat is wrong, but I must totally disagree with your explanation.

More flow will always cool more... there is no such thing as needing to slow the flow in order to pick up heat! Actually the contrary is true, the more movement there is the cooler the liquid near the metal surface will be and the more heat will transfer to the liquid.

the thermostat is there to regulate the temperature. not too hot, not too cool!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:52 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a mistaken belief by some people that if they remove the thermostat, they will be able to solve hard to find overheating problems. This couldn't be further from the truth. Removing the thermostat will allow uncontrolled circulation of the coolant throughout the system. It is possible for the coolant to move so fast, that it will not be properly cooled as it races through the radiator, so the engine can run even hotter than before under certain conditions. Other times, the engine will never reach its operating temperature. On computer controlled vehicles, the computer monitors engine temperatures and regulates fuel usage based on that temperature. If the engine never reaches operating temperatures, fuel economy and performance will suffer considerably.

Here is my Source:

http://www.familycar.com/classroom/coolingsystem.htm

Old 03-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXV6
It is possible for the coolant to move so fast, that it will not be properly cooled as it races through the radiator, so the engine can run even hotter than before under certain conditions.

I dont care what the source is, the above is completly wrong. Flow increases heat transfer....

Try to think of it this way - imagine the radiator is heating the air. (instead of cooling the coolant).

The hotter and faster that you pump hot coolant through the radiator, the hotter the air will be, only when you pump so much coolant through the radiator that the inlet and outlet temperature are the same, will you reach maximum heat transfer.

I know it is hard to imagine that with hotter outlet temp of the coolant from the rad, there is more heat transfer, but such is the world of physics.

if you have hot water radiators heating your house, I am sure you dont close down the valve to warm up the house!

Last edited by sport30; 03-13-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the rsponses. After careful consideration, i decided to remove the thermostat. After removing the thermostat housing, i observed that the thermostat was in the closed position and the spring broked away from the housing. i removed the thermostat and reinserted the the o ring with a touch of black silicone. re connected the housing with the thermo out. refill with coolant/anti - freeze. took car for a test drive, temp guage went up to normal and stayed. in short , removing the thermo resolved my overheating issue.

Just as a note, aftercareful study and research, i can conclude that the thermo. is NOT NECESSARY in vehicles that operate in tropical regions like the Bahamas and South florida or any country where there is warm climate. The thermostat ONLY serves to to regulate the coolant/anti freeze to prevent ENGINE (OR COMPONENTS)FROM FREEZING UP. Thermostat can be very problematic and create overheating issues.

Again thanks much