X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about my next purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thinking about my next purchase

Hey guys I've been a jag owner since I bought my first car. I'm currently a s-type owner but I want to start my collection. I want to start with the classic ones first, because looks like the line if x-type and s-type will be no more. I want to ask the owners of the
x-type How satisfied and comfortable are you with the x-type? Is it a reliable vehicle? Is it worth having?

Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

I love my X-Type. For what it costs, it is a great car. Repairs on the car are no more than any other vehicle that I have owned with the same mileage on it. If you are going from say an S-Type back to the X-Type, you may notice that things are not quite as comfy, but then, you are also stepping down a step in the luxury department as I see it. So, I would expect that. Would be like going from an XJ to your S-Type. Same sort of effect.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Doesn't get more classic than an XKE (E Type). The X is nice, but not really the same ballpark. Nor even the same sport, I think. I've been looking at E Types pretty hard lately. If I were to collect "classic" Jags that's exactly where I'd start. Smart investment too, but do your homework. There's also something about the lines of the late 80s/early 90s XJS. Love the convertibles. I'd start there way before ever buying an X Type if I were looking to collect.

Let me also add the XK. You can get a nice circa 2000 XK for a song. Very nice lines, beautiful car. Also would start there before the X Type.

Last edited by Andahaion; 01-03-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Additional Information Added
Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Find a nice clean XJS 6 cylinder. Reliable (for a classic Jaguar) with all the looks and fairly modern ergometrics.

Don't, don't, don't, under any circumstances, consider a V-12...
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys I think it would be a goof idea with the 90s model xj I had an 2004 xj VDP and yes stepping down from a xj to my s type you do feel a like you stepped down a notch. I'm going to try to get all the ones I admire thank guys I'll let you all know What I come up with first

Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Likewise I'm looking down the road for life after X-Type and I've concluded that it pretty much has to be an XF.

So, without yet venturing over to the XF list, does anyone here have any insights into ownership of those Jaguars? Does anyone know whether there are any problems like our T-Case with them, etc.?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
Likewise I'm looking down the road for life after X-Type and I've concluded that it pretty much has to be an XF.

So, without yet venturing over to the XF list, does anyone here have any insights into ownership of those Jaguars? Does anyone know whether there are any problems like our T-Case with them, etc.?
I read the XF posts daily and am counting down the days when I'm actually in the market for one. And no, from what I've read over in the XF section there are no significant issues equal to our transfer case. There were a few recalls on the early models (fuel door and shift knob), and before buying one you need to make sure the fixes were completed, but other than that early reviews are quite good I think. I can't wait to drive one every day.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're just buying something to polish, I'd definitely get an XKR. I only got the X Type because running costs area fraction of the price.

I couldn't personally afford the commute/running costs of the XKR.

Having said that I absolutely love my X Type. It's a 2.2D, but has enough power for me. It crosses over a bit with a ford mondeo 2.2TDCI parts wise and I found it was cheaper to buy than the ford re miles/year/spec!!! I think it should become a classic in time as it's a Jag for every man.

If you've got a limitless budget get the Speedster

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (01-22-2013)