Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought I had messed up my new X type- need advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Thought I had messed up my new X type- need advise

Last week I got my tranny flushed. I saw that a lot of fluid had been lost during the hook/unhook of the lines so I told the guy to add an extra quart. Today I noticed that she was leaking by the filler tube. I was sure I was a burst something or other. I took the battery out and found that there is a breather or purge tube by the filler tube to purge extra fluid when idiots like me overfill it, and that's where the fluid was coming out from:

Here is a picture of the purge tube with its little cap removed.

Question:

Do I need to drain some fluid or just let the excess drip of on its own?

Help please!

Attached Thumbnails Thought I had messed up my new X type- need advise-null_zpsab8038a6.jpg  
Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member

I tried to remove some fluid thru the filler tube with a hose and managed to get a few ounces out. I am thinking it might be ok since all it has is 1/2 a quart more. The official check level procedure is a nightmare. While I am extremely happy that the extra fluid is burped thru the vent tube instead of popping a seal, there should be a level stick on this

Old 06-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I love the X-Type, but the engineers did make a big mistake by calling the trans "Sealed for Life", which means no dip stick, and no drain port. I have the manual tranny and I have to keep good notes on how many litres removed, and litres replaced. ( I do my own work) This also goes for the transfer case. The rear differential is more forgiving, but I keep tabs on that too.

The transfer case and the rear differential take the same fluid: SAE 75W-140 Synthetic gear oil. I have used Mobile 1 with great results. However, I have no info on your trans bc I have a 5 speed manual.

On a parting note, I would stay away from the $89.00 trans flush. They tend to use inferior trans fluid and bc they do many cars every week, sludge builds up in the flush system and it could be pumped into your trans. Also, they use the same pump machine for every car, so different weight fluids get mixed in. I say this bc I hear the J-gate automatic from JAG for X-types can be trouble after say 80K miles.

Let me know if you have any interest on the details of flushing the transfer case or the rear diff. Good luck brother!

Last edited by Patterson; 06-13-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

I have been very lucky to find a transmission shop with a knowledgable mechanic and they allow me to stand there watching as they work. Basically it seems like the tranny was really overfilled. He looked up the Jaguar procedure for checking the level thru that tragic drain plug with the car up to full temp and running up on the lift. He took 3 and some hot quarts out of the car and then put 3/4 of a quart cold fluid back on. I must have been about 2.5 cold fluid overfilled. The procedure is a joke, since the official way to measure is by opening a "level screw" and seeing if fluid comes out.

They used their dialysis machine for flushing last week but dumped all their fluid out and used mine.

Someone needs to create a dipstick kit for these things. Maybe Jatco has one

Last edited by Spikepaga; 06-13-2013 at 11:16 PM.