Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thrashing the X

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Thrashing the X

After watching lemonsracer race the x type, i decided that as i was up around 170000 miles, it was time to see if my x could handle some abuse.
So for 10000 miles i have been screaming around the backroads and interstates.
Flooring it, downshifting at higher speeds, racing from redlights.
Certainly the most fun its seen in the last 5 yrs of ownership.
Happy to report i have had nothing negative happen.
The car is fun to drive if you let yourself!.
I'll continue to drive this way until it dies and will keep you posted.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:35 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by iownme
After watching lemonsracer race the x type, i decided that as i was up around 170000 miles, it was time to see if my x could handle some abuse.
So for 10000 miles i have been screaming around the backroads and interstates.
Flooring it, downshifting at higher speeds, racing from redlights.
Certainly the most fun its seen in the last 5 yrs of ownership.
Happy to report i have had nothing negative happen.
The car is fun to drive if you let yourself!.
I'll continue to drive this way until it dies and will keep you posted.

Haha yes I love it! I have been daily abusing mine since I put it back on the road after the rebuild. These cars handle a lot of abuse for sure. One thing I try not to do though is pedal to the floor from a dead stop. I'll jam it about 3/4, get some momentum for just a split second and then put it to the floor.

I have two roundabouts near me where you enter and exit the highway. They are yields so if no one is coming man I hit those roundabouts at about 50. In fact, I smoked an m5 through them and I wasn't even pushing my junk that hard, no grip-loss no understeer, nothing. I look in my mirror and hes understeering accross both lanes smoke pouring from his front tires as he was trying to keep the turn hahaha. Yeah he was way faster than me but he just couldn't hold up to the x's handling. Granted, my x has some pretty gnarly suspension upgrades but still... He followed me into a gas station and just had to check out the goods hahaha

I RARELY drive in auto, I'm always in j-gate no matter where or what type of driving I'm doing. The headers really opened this motor up and I love riding in that power band or damn near it, it's great to be able to dictate where I'm at on the rpm range but also have that auto on long lazy cruises. Don't let anyone tell you these cars cant handle some abuse. Keep up on maintenance and don't abuse a broken or worn peice, you should be good.

Last edited by X-TypeMentality; 07-27-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:55 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I test drove a 2002 M3 the other week with a friend of mine. He wanted me to check it out b4 he bought it. I hit a corner a little fast just like I would in the X and the rear end broke loose. He thought I was trying to fish tail, but I wasn't. Anyway, the X type holds the road so much better than most cars. I love the 60/40 AWD.

I was probably going 35 around the corner when the Beemer slid, I could have hit that same corner at 50 in my X type and held the road just fine. I have stock suspension but I am lowered with H&R springs and I have 25 mm wheel spacers in the rear. My front wheel spacers came in yesterday, also 25 mm. I don't know if lowering it helps handling much. These cars are pretty awesome on corners even when stock.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Could have been the condition of the tires am the M3 too.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:08 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

They were pretty worn down, but slicks actually make more surface contact with the road.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by X-TypeMentality
Haha yes I love it! I have been daily abusing mine since I put it back on the road after the rebuild. These cars handle a lot of abuse for sure. One thing I try not to do though is pedal to the floor from a dead stop. I'll jam it about 3/4, get some momentum for just a split second and then put it to the floor.

I have two roundabouts near me where you enter and exit the highway. They are yields so if no one is coming man I hit those roundabouts at about 50. In fact, I smoked an m5 through them and I wasn't even pushing my junk that hard, no grip-loss no understeer, nothing. I look in my mirror and hes understeering accross both lanes smoke pouring from his front tires as he was trying to keep the turn hahaha. Yeah he was way faster than me but he just couldn't hold up to the x's handling. Granted, my x has some pretty gnarly suspension upgrades but still... He followed me into a gas station and just had to check out the goods hahaha

I RARELY drive in auto, I'm always in j-gate no matter where or what type of driving I'm doing. The headers really opened this motor up and I love riding in that power band or damn near it, it's great to be able to dictate where I'm at on the rpm range but also have that auto on long lazy cruises. Don't let anyone tell you these cars cant handle some abuse. Keep up on maintenance and don't abuse a broken or worn peice, you should be good.
Headers.... Hmmmm.
Maybe next summer ;@)

Old 01-28-2017, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Default update.

Headers.... Hmmmm.
Maybe next summer ;@)
so its now been 20000 miles of thrashing and still holding strong.
my transfer case must hate me by now.
over 190000 miles and looking forward to reaching 200000

Old 01-28-2017, 05:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nowhere near what you guys are doing yet, but when my wife bought the car and we were new with it, I was driving us out to dinner.....

We live out in the countryside so all roads are like 55-60mph. Was giving it some go-juice here and there. Impressed with the smoothness.... and talking to wife about how the car is handling... approaching an intersection, left turn, light green, no traffic...

Just said to wife, "hold on" and smiled.... brake slightly... back on the gas as I pull on the wheel....

Honestly? I expected to have my hands full. Cat said, "ok" and just .....turned... at something near 50. No adverse departure, no .....nothing... it just turned. I was beaming. Took me back to my sports car days (used to drive MGBs, Triumphs, etc)

Then I see the one car that was sitting waiting at the left for the light... turn around.
"Awww crap..... Sheriff?".... maintain speed limit as I see headlights approach..... behind me... no blinky blinky lights...no siren...

pull into restaurant parking lot and we're followed in...
...Guy in an Audi gets out... comes over and looks and says, "Just wanted to see what that WAS that did that turn. "

It's a really fun car to drive for sure

Old 01-28-2017, 08:32 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine only slides in the rain, the *** end will come right around if you let it. It does emit a growling from the rear end right before, so it is easy to avoid spinning with a lil pedal burp. Never spun it, yay.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I just saw this thread. Glad I could help be a little bit of inspiration!!! Yea, it seems as though the mechanics on the car aren't too bad so long as you don't listen to Jag and actually change all the fluids. X-Type Mentality we actually did a race at Gingerman recently. Our next Jag race is in May at NJMP again 14.5 hours of torture. I'll post on my thread but it's a great race if anyone is in the area.

Crazy thing is we parked the car for the winter and now it won't start. Our issues have all been electrical, but most have been from our mistakes. This one probably isn't any different we just have to track it down.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member

update...
199000 miles
still thrashing... the 92mph in a 55 zone cost me $300 but thats the only expense the theashing has cost me so far.
had the tach in the red zone many times, X appears to love it... lol.
see y'all in the next update at over 200000!

Old 06-03-2017, 05:16 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

update...
199000 miles
still thrashing... the 92mph in a 55 zone cost me $300 but thats the only expense the theashing has cost me so far.
had the tach in the red zone many times, X appears to love it... lol.
see y'all in the next update at over 200000!
sounds like it's time you find some open track time near you or at least an autocross. Just so you know to help with reliability in all of my race cars I change the transmission fluid and oil between every race. I'll change the transfer case and differential oil between every other. Seems to be the key to success for these cars is keeping them maintained well, which is true for every car.