X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Thermo, this is exactly what i wanted to know. You have just illustrated to me exactly what I want to know. Fixing a ford is really not that hard mechanically. Some shtuff may be hard to get to, but it is fairly straight forward when you get there. Also, the Jag components seem to be associated with the body which further pushes me to buy one. Because of this one post by you, I will now put operation badass (find me an x type) in full effect. Thanks

Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool first time responder

Hey guys, I just joined this site, as I bought my wife a new 02 X-Type 3.0 liter automatic. She drives sparingly so it only has around 33,000 miles in 9 years, but I was wondering what needs to be maintained besides the oil and filter changes. I have always used Mobil 1 and have really never had any troubles with it except once an overheating problem, seems like it was the thermostat from what I remember. Other than that she has loved it, me too. If you don't mind just let me know what I need to keep an eye on.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Alan, I think if you start a new thread you might get better feedback. I am also new, but I just feel like this would probably get your question answered better. From all my research, because your car is an 02 and therefore has a viscous coupling in the transfer case which required a vent on the tcase. Although many members flush their tcases around 60k, I believe that your car is old enough to have accumulated dirt and grime through this vent. I think it would be a good idea to do a transfer case flush just to stay on the safe side.

If another more experienced member feels like this above is not true, simply reply. I just felt that because I asked so many questions, I should try to return the favor

Old 05-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by disguay
sidewalkman: That was my first criteria when buying a "new" car was that it had to manual. I really don't want another vehicle which is held back by the performance of the transmission. I also heard that the auto trannys will burn out sooner.
Sarcasm disclaimer for the newb: I write like we're best friends, very few punches pulled. Get used to it.

First, if you're thinking you can beat on an X just because it's a stick, get that thought out of your mind or YOU will be the next person complaining about the weak drive train. Sticks have the same Achilles heal and can cause even more strain on the weak link, the TC.

The X is not a performance car. If you think you'll be able to hang with the beamers etc just because you have a manual, forget it. Just because the X isn't a slouch doesn't mean it's "all that". It's a classy car that can do it all but won't be breaking any records in any category. It's biggest feature over the competition is that you won't see one on every corner and exudes class the others never had.

As for the XJ, S, or any other Jag people try to steer you to, they seem to forget the X is the only AWD. If you don't want AWD, you shouldn't be looking at an X. All Jags are nice but they each have their niche. The X's is AWD, it's ONLY true selling point over any other used Jag. YOU will appreciate the AWD in your neck of the woods. With proper tires, it's VERY sure footed when it's slippery out (VC or DSC models).

Alan, I think if you start a new thread you might get better feedback. I am also new, but I just feel like this would probably get your question answered better.
Completely agree, people shouldn't hijack your thread. Plenty of room to start his own. I thought you handled that very gentlemanly. Kudos!

Now, for my insight on internet sales. While there are many reasons to shop the internet for cars, that doesn't mean you should actually travel THAT far to buy one. Obviously people do it all the time but that doesn't make it any safer. You want to do as much "shopping" online as you can so you know as much as possible before buying.

The problem is, most cars photograph MUCH better than they actually appear "in person". Once you travel a great distance, most dealers will feel they have a fish on the line because nobody wants to put a lot of effort into something and go home empty handed. That's not to say they're all out to get you, but Alfadude gave you great advice about being in a frame of mind to walk away if something doesn't seem right. And believe me, it's much easier to say than do. You risking time and money traveling. If you don't buy the car, you're already at a loss. So buying it seems that much more tempting.

Then there's always the problem of something wrong as soon as you get home. Most dealers give some kind of 30 day 1000k warranty or will offer to fix something for free. That's not so easy once you're back home. So it's worth your time to hit the dealer up for a discounted aftermarket warranty. He will make a commission on it and can knock a little more off the car while you get more peace of mind. You can also offer to finance it through him and he'll get another commission and knock some more off. Make sure there is no penalty for early re-payment. Make the payments for 3 months and then pay it off if you have the cash. He gets his commission, you got a discount, and your credit rating just went up for taking on a loan.

That being said, knowing what I know, the X is not a car I'd go hunting for too far away from home. You want to drive it first. A local dealer might even let you have it over a weekend. But in the end, the 2 most important things to remember are, do your homework, and don't settle. I think you've got both covered from the sounds of it. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

c5, your insight into why I am getting a manual seems to be false.... I feel that with a manual transmission I will be able to get higher mpg (true) and will also have better control over the engine over mountain passes. That is what I mean about performance. None of the high acceleration stuff, just making sure I can get over all the passes here in front of the ranger so I don't have to take the scenic route when they close it.

Your honestly has been very helpful. I am trying to look for used cars around areas where I know people who I can go visit so the trip wouldn't be a complete waste of time, and I am also being very specific in my searching now. I realize the example I posted before was a very poor quality jag for the price, but I was new to this reduced price of luxury so I was a little taken aback. Now I know that I am looking for a 5spd, less than 80k, with a vc or dsc, and it must have documented history of maintenance.

I think I am close to getting one of those two steps done. I done nothing but research the xtype in my free time for the past week. I feel like I know it better without even owning one than I know my current DD.

Again, Thanks for your honesty and I appreciate your criticism. If everyone told people what they wanted to hear.... well I wouldn't have a girlfriend for one, but anyways, i greatly appreciate it

Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

disguay, the "53" in the 6th and 7th serial number digits show this example to be a "Sport". The three wheels that belong were also on early Sports and are 17". If you are seriously looking at an 02 or 03 there was also an unofficial transmission replacement program, "customer campaign" it was called, that ended about 2005. But was only specific to the Jatco auto boxes.

The AWD with the VC in the early years TCs is great in nasty weather but any first you do with an early model year is check and change the TC fluid. Nine years and 80K miles and if she has spent any of her life in warm climes and it may be close to dry.

PS if you did get the car you were looking at, I've got that fourth matching wheel (shameless plug for my classified ad) in my garage waiting to ship to you!

Good luck in your search. At least you are going about it exactly the right way REsearch first, rather than finding out later

Old 05-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

c5, your insight into why I am getting a manual seems to be false.... I feel that with a manual transmission I will be able to get higher mpg (true) and will also have better control over the engine over mountain passes. That is what I mean about performance. None of the high acceleration stuff, just making sure I can get over all the passes here in front of the ranger so I don't have to take the scenic route when they close it.

Your honestly has been very helpful. I am trying to look for used cars around areas where I know people who I can go visit so the trip wouldn't be a complete waste of time, and I am also being very specific in my searching now. I realize the example I posted before was a very poor quality jag for the price, but I was new to this reduced price of luxury so I was a little taken aback. Now I know that I am looking for a 5spd, less than 80k, with a vc or dsc, and it must have documented history of maintenance.

I think I am close to getting one of those two steps done. I done nothing but research the xtype in my free time for the past week. I feel like I know it better without even owning one than I know my current DD.

Again, Thanks for your honesty and I appreciate your criticism. If everyone told people what they wanted to hear.... well I wouldn't have a girlfriend for one, but anyways, i greatly appreciate it
You sound a lot like me when I was searching. When I first saw a Sport model with teh alcantar and Carbon fiber interior and Aruba wheels I knew that is what I wanted. And it had to be a manual. I wasn't in any hurry and dutifully searched all the usual websites until I found mine. Took me about six months and it was about 500 miles away. Was the first time I ever bought a car out of my area and it was scary, but it worked out for me. One thing in my favor was that it was still under the Jaguar warranty, so if anything happend after I bought it I could take it to a local dealer. One advantage of buying so far away is once the deal was finished I had a really good shakedown run to get familiar with the car.

Good luck in your search. Sounds like you are doing it right. And as C5 said: do your homework and don't settle.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disguay, Thanks for your reply to my question. Having been on this site for exactly a day or two, I had no idea that I would be "hijacking" your thread, there was certainly no negative intent on my part, just don't know the rules yet I guess. Anyway thanks again and if I did something wrong, my apologies. Alan

The following users liked this post:
C5pilot (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

That clears things up immensely and makes perfect sense. Under those circumstances the manual is ideal. For those who can't or rather not drive a stick I'd suggest adding a trans cooler. In fact, I never heard of anyone adding one to an X.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

mohrd: The identification of sport via the vin number really helps. Some ads like the example on this thread do not indicate it as a sport so I really appreciate it. Also if I do end up buying the one listed, I will contact you about the rim. Thanks for the info

Alfadude: I really like the sport model too. I think that for the extra cash, it seems to look a little newer and the wheels probably won't need updating as quickly. I also like the idea of sport suspension because I really don't want to drive another boat (i know the jag isn't, but it's just an expression.)

Alan: No problem. If you need help starting a new thread we can help you out for sure. I just thought that you would probably get better responses from your own thread. Not to mention it would be easier for you to understand it because it would be organized with just your issue and not other answers. Welcome to the forum though!

C5: Im glad you approve of my intentions