Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Drain and Fill

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Transfer Case Drain and Fill

In other threads, we've learned:

1. Draining the TC by drain plug removal can leave up to 200 ml of dirty oil behind.

2. Draining the TC by output pinion shaft removal (per JTIS procedure) leaves only 50 ml of dirty oil behind, but this method also requires a lot more work.

3. Apparently nobody uses the JTIS drain procedure - not even Jag techs; furthermore, the JTIS filling procedure is impossible.....so much for Jaguar know-how.

4. Clever people have invented methods to fill through the drain plug using valves and check valves.

5. A Jag tech fills through the drain plug (with no valves or check valves) by first jacking the driver-side sill 540 mm (about 21.25 inches) above the ground, which effectively tilts the TC about 11 degrees from horizontal.

I would like to determine if substantially more and hopefully all of the TC oil can be drained through the drain plug by raising the passenger-side of the car. Unfortunately, this can't be done accurately with the TC installed. The question of how much the TC must be angled to completely drain the oil (or allow a full 600 ml refill) could easily be answered by anyone that has a spare TC, measuring cup, oil and a protractor. Anyone with a spare TC up for an experiment?

Mark

The following users liked this post:
alcurrie (06-03-2011)
Old 12-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts
Default RE: Transfer Case Drain and Fill

you know if you take a mason jar, with 2 hoses siliconed into the lid. mark off the ml on the side, make a hooked hose to go into the drain hole and the bottom of the TC. Then use an inexpensive hand vacuum pump you can suck it out and measure, then reverse to fill with alittle air pressure...I dont see why everyone is trying to make this hard, you know you never get out all the dirty oil on an oil change either......

Old 12-14-2008, 07:58 PM

Brutal,

I've never had a TC apart or seen clear-enough pics to convince me that a tube can be routed thru the drain hole to the low point in the case. Is this a straight shot?

Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I jacked up the left side of the car..I removed drain plug..I placed a pan under TC..I lowered car and then jacked up right side of car front and back..I got this much old lube oil out

I jacked up the left side again..

I rigged up a clear tube and barbed 1/2 nipple for the drain holeand filled it with 700 mL of new lube (Royal Purple 75w140)then let it drain out..I added back another 300mL and put the drain plug back in..I monitored the level externally via the clear tube..

(Bojangles gets the kudos for this methodology... In fact, Bojangles is the founder of the fill by drain plug method and deserves the props, thanks Bo..see what you started?)

Old 12-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

ORIGINAL: MarkC

Brutal,

I've never had a TC apart or seen clear-enough pics to convince me that a tube can be routed thru the drain hole to the low point in the case. Is this a straight shot?
close enough, look Jaguar doesnt even have a recommendation for TC fluid change interval on GTR. Also the only thing youll do from overfilling is have a leak from the rf output shaft seal, which will stop after it drops to a lower level, better too much than too little fluid, so if youre servicing dont be so paranoid about being so exact...IF you dont get it all out, dont sweat it, do it again in 10-15k and youll be treating your TC better than 99% of other Xtype owners

Old 12-15-2008, 07:39 PM

Dennis, it looks like you drained about 200 ml....the question is how much didn't come out. Did any oil drain out prior to raising the passenger side? Do you recall how high you raised the passenger side?

Brutal... I'd like to get as accurate an initial level reference as possible without pulling the pinion shaft or the entire TC. I will certainly give sucking the oil out a try, but it can't get any easier than just draining by gravity.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 PM

Sounds good, Bo. Nothing like a good ol' engineering test!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:20 PM

Bo,

I copied this info from an EBAY-UK auction a while ago....might help with locating the bearings and setting the preload. Or maybe you can just confirm the bearing info.

"Here we have a quality brg set to fit a X - type 4 X 4 transfer box`s
infact we are sure that any Jaguar 4 x 4 /Ford mondeotransfer box that exists uses these bearings. The bearing set includes:
2 x 2.875" x 1.3125" x 1.165" taper race HM88510
1 x 47mm x 20mm x 19.4mm 32204c
1 x 55mm x 80mm x 17.25mm ECO32911X
1 x 20.58mm x 55mm x 25.4mm (1.00") CR0499
1 x 85mm x 60mm x 17.5mm 32912XASTV2

The set includes the 6 bearings necessary to recon. the transfer box. These bearings are not available from Jaguar/Ford. However, you can buy the input and output shaft seals from your local main dealer. The shims will probably have to be changed, as the one that we reconditioned definitely had not been assembled correctly - it had far too much pre-load and all the shims were 1.25mm thick, which seemed too much of a coincidence. Also, where the crown wheel had been made there were still burrs protruding onto the top face, where it came up against the planatary gear drum. You could see where the excessive pre-load had created an impression in the drum from the gear. This had to be removed, and the shims replaced with thinner ones to get the right pre-load. Having done all this, checking that both shafts rotate freely and evenly (you have to assemble the box twice with only one shaft in at a time) you need to remove the bearings out of the pinion housing, fit the new bearings and seals, and be careful not to over-torque the nut so not to collape the collapsible-spacer any more. Assemble with Three Bond 1104, and re-fill with oil. Get it all right and you save a ÂŁ1,250.00 bill for a box from Jaguar. If you need shims I can supply exactly what you need, either pre-sized or over-sized for you to grind. Any problems I am on the end of the phone. (01473 232908) Location: Ipswich, United Kingdom"

Old 12-16-2008, 03:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bojangles

Also when i took the little housing apart... there was a stench... burned oil, not sure.. but it made the entire house almost unliveable for a couple of hours.. there must have been some crazy heat and chemical reaction that turned the oil around the dead bearing into a stink bomb.... this is a new experience to me..

more later.
Bo,

After reading numerous threads here about the TC and differrent lubes to use I noticed in a few posts where a gear lube additive is recommended. The stench you are describing sounds exactly like a gear lube additive orfriction modifier used in limited slip differentials. There is no other smell like it and it is nasty.
Just a thought.