X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission broken - replacement project (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Transmission broken - replacement project (with pics) - FIXED!!!

Well, my transmission is officially dead. After exiting the highway, we were coasting up and off-ramp and heard a thump from under the car as we almost came to a stop. After that, the car wouldn't move at all (the engine would run, the wheels moved as if in neutral). We could shift gears but it didn't seem to do anything. After spending many hours during the Thanksgiving break, my friend and I were able to get the transmission out of the X-Type and open it up. Here's what we found:

We knew this wasn't good so we dug deeper and pulled out the gears and clutches in the transmission. Pieces of metal everywhere. From what we could tell, nearly a half inch of metal was stripped from nearly the whole diameter of one of the gears:

Here are some more pics of the subframe and motor (holding it up with a bar+chain in the absence of the transmission motor mount). Note that it is very important to remove the two bolts that hold the steering rack to the subframe before dropping the subframe!

Once the subframe was out, it was super easy to remove the transmission. We used this jack (there's my mechanic friend in the picture).

Transfer case (still going strong). We'll take advantage of this opportunity and clean it and change the oil, check seals, etc.

I've ordered a used transmission and once we get everything back together I'll post back and let everyone know how it went.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission broken - replacement project (with pics)-01.jpg   Transmission broken - replacement project (with pics)-02.jpg   Transmission broken - replacement project (with pics)-03.jpg   Transmission broken - replacement project (with pics)-04.jpg   Transmission broken - replacement project (with pics)-05.jpg  

Transmission broken - replacement project (with pics)-06_steering_rack_bolts.jpg   Transmission broken - replacement project (with pics)-07_subframe.jpg   Transmission broken - replacement project (with pics)-07a_subframe_motor.jpg   Transmission broken - replacement project (with pics)-08_tc.jpg   Transmission broken - replacement project (with pics)-09_jack_used_for_trans.jpg  

Last edited by blaydes99; 12-10-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Updated - Fixed
The following 4 users liked this post by blaydes99:
disguay (11-26-2012), fix it (11-26-2012), Lcgi (11-27-2012), Stuart Beattie (01-22-2013)
Old 11-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Thank you for the pictures! It's great to see someone finally digging into the transmission and actually taking pictures! Again, thanks for sharing!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  19.3 KB

Thanks Blaydes......looking forward to more.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by disguay
Thank you for the pictures! It's great to see someone finally digging into the transmission and actually taking pictures! Again, thanks for sharing!
Thanks guys, and yeah, I can't remember ever seeing inside an X-type transmission before, so it was fun to break some new ground.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Petty officer in the coveralls lol they are great to work in . Good job on getting the tranny out .

Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 AM

Well, the job is done! The used tranmission (60K miles) has been installed and the car is running great. Not a job I want to ever do again

Here's a summary of what we did:

-Replaced tranmission (then drained and filled with new transmission fluid)
-Serviced transfer case (since it was removed, we drained it and put fresh oil in - now it is the color of honey! We also did the sealant "fix" to stop the leak on the rear stub shaft that connects to the prop shaft)
-Replaced valve cover gaskets and spark plug seals
-Replaced roll restrictor (transfer case mount)
-Replaced PCV valve
-Cleaned and re-greased knuckle joint in passenger cv axle
-Cleaned and inspected many other major components

It took many many hours to take everything apart and put back together, but honestly the majority of all frustration came from the tight area around the transfer case and the various support brackets that hold it and the rear catalytic converter in place. I want to kick the Jaguar engineers that thought that up!

After all work as done (after working a long freezing day out in the cold and snow!) we started up the car and it worked great on the first try! We had the car up on jack stands and it was great to see the wheels moving again. After getting the car back on the ground we drove around a bit and it ran like a champ.

So far we've added 8 quarts of transmissions fluid and we'll add another quart or so after driving it a few days, which will give the torque converter time to fill with liquid and for everything to settle in a bit. We'll also check in 1-2 days for any leaks or other issues and make sure and the cat is ready for another 50K miles.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:29 PM

One question do I have to drop the subframe to replace the flywheel .

Old 01-06-2013, 03:30 PM

Never mind I see it now . Good job on the install .