X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission compatibility question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission compatibility question

hello everyone, can anyone tell me if you can use a reaplace a transmission of a 3.0 x-type with one from an 2.5 x-type ?
I have a 3.0 with a bad transmission and found a used one from a 2.5 .
thanks in advance

Old 10-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Whats the transmission doing? There's a lot of problems with our transmissions where you can just replace the solenoids and rebuild the valve body and the car is just like new again. Very simple process.

Our transmissions are controlled by the TCM in the car. That is a learning module (as far as I know), so if you did change out the transmission you'd have to have the TCM flashed.

What troubleshooting have you done with the transmission so far?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Justicejamesb
Whats the transmission doing? There's a lot of problems with our transmissions where you can just replace the solenoids and rebuild the valve body and the car is just like new again. Very simple process.

Our transmissions are controlled by the TCM in the car. That is a learning module (as far as I know), so if you did change out the transmission you'd have to have the TCM flashed.

I am very curious about how these solenoids are changed. Is it doable in your driveway?

Old 10-21-2013, 11:22 PM

thank you so much for your reply, the transmission does not want to reverse , it works normal on drive but id doesnt want to reverse at all.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:27 PM

how do you flash the TCM? they in fact replace the transmission before i bought it but the used transmission they installed doenst want to reverse.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Default Reason for TCM Flash, and Solenoid change in driveway.

The TCM needs to be flashed because without it being flashed it will still have the old shift points for the old transmission. This can cause erratic shifting, warn clutches and the transmission to burn out very quickly. A good transmission shop should have the tool to flash the TCM, they would be a lot cheaper than taking it to the dealership.

Well guys, let me try and explain how to do the solenoids in the driveway. First, put down a good cover on the driveway, pull your car onto it, get your car jacked up and put on blocks with jackstands as safety, (I just rebuilt my transmission and put my car on 16 x 8 x 8 cinder blocks, two on each wheel with a 5/4 plywood top, then I put jackstands at each of the four corners for safety.) Pull your battery out, along with the holder for the battery, this will give you access to the transmission pan. (The holder either has 6 or 8-13 mm bolts holding it on, 1-10 mm bolt on the underside). On the front of the pan you need to disconnect the electrical connections, there are two of them. At this point drain the transmission. Now you need to take off the transmission pan, there are 20 bolts holding it on so remove all of these, (These are all 10 mm, and some are a bugger to get to. Use a double universal joint setup to get to the extremely hard ones). Now comes time to pull off the transmission pan. Take a gasket scraper tool, or a small chisel, or a small flat-head screwdriver and put it between the pan and the transmission, strike once with a hammer and twist and with some effort the pan will come off, this will revel the valve body. Our solenoids are on the Valve Body; so unless you think for some reason that the valve body needs to be rebuilt, (hard shifts, erratic shifts) don’t pull it off! You can replace the solenoids without taking the valve body off. You have to get a new solenoid kit, just search for JF506E solenoid kit on google and get one ~$300, you’ll also need a gasket ~$25, and some good gasket maker ~$15. Start one at a time, take one solenoid out, match it up, put the new one in and torque the bold to 90 in lbs, then again, and again. Soon all the solenoids will be replaced, (there are 9 solenoids in our transmission). Now take some denatured alcohol and clean the mating services of both the transmission and pan, (they need to be shiny, I cleaned mine with an old dish scrubber pad, then finished with a soft cloth). Squeeze some gasket maker, per instructions, onto the face of the trans and the pan, put on the gasket, install the pan, hand tighten in a star pattern all the bolts, then torque to 90 in lbs in that same star pattern, leave the transmission overnight, fill the transmission with AT fluid that is compatible with “IDEMITSU K17 / Jatco 3100”, I recommend Royal purple Max ATF. Reassemble everything. Bam, done. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:19 AM

Thanks again justicejamesb, how soon can the transmission get burned out if they didn't flash the TCM ? Just by driving it a couple of miles?
can the no reverse issue be solved by the selenoid valve body replacement?
The TCM needs to be flashed because without it being flashed it will still have the old shift points for the old transmission. This can cause erratic shifting, warn clutches and the transmission to burn out very quickly. A good transmission shop should have the tool to flash the TCM, they would be a lot cheaper than taking it to the dealership.

Well guys, let me try and explain how to do the solenoids in the driveway. First, put down a good cover on the driveway, pull your car onto it, get your car jacked up and put on blocks with jackstands as safety, (I just rebuilt my transmission and put my car on 16 x 8 x 8 cinder blocks, two on each wheel with a 5/4 plywood top, then I put jackstands at each of the four corners for safety.) Pull your battery out, along with the holder for the battery, this will give you access to the transmission pan. (The holder either has 6 or 8-13 mm bolts holding it on, 1-10 mm bolt on the underside). On the front of the pan you need to disconnect the electrical connections, there are two of them. At this point drain the transmission. Now you need to take off the transmission pan, there are 20 bolts holding it on so remove all of these, (These are all 10 mm, and some are a bugger to get to. Use a double universal joint setup to get to the extremely hard ones). Now comes time to pull off the transmission pan. Take a gasket scraper tool, or a small chisel, or a small flat-head screwdriver and put it between the pan and the transmission, strike once with a hammer and twist and with some effort the pan will come off, this will revel the valve body. Our solenoids are on the Valve Body; so unless you think for some reason that the valve body needs to be rebuilt, (hard shifts, erratic shifts) don’t pull it off! You can replace the solenoids without taking the valve body off. You have to get a new solenoid kit, just search for JF506E solenoid kit on google and get one ~$300, you’ll also need a gasket ~$25, and some good gasket maker ~$15. Start one at a time, take one solenoid out, match it up, put the new one in and torque the bold to 90 in lbs, then again, and again. Soon all the solenoids will be replaced, (there are 9 solenoids in our transmission). Now take some denatured alcohol and clean the mating services of both the transmission and pan, (they need to be shiny, I cleaned mine with an old dish scrubber pad, then finished with a soft cloth). Squeeze some gasket maker, per instructions, onto the face of the trans and the pan, put on the gasket, install the pan, hand tighten in a star pattern all the bolts, then torque to 90 in lbs in that same star pattern, leave the transmission overnight, fill the transmission with AT fluid that is compatible with “IDEMITSU K17 / Jatco 3100”, I recommend Royal purple Max ATF. Reassemble everything. Bam, done. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:02 AM

nahum,
A few miles isn't going to hurt the transmission. But, if left un-flashed you will shorten the life of the tranny. Do you have all the forward gears? Just not reverse… hmm… The only time I've seen this is when people get into transmissions and don't reinstall the valve body correctly and / or don't put the ball valves in correctly, I've also seen where the reverse band isn't doing it's job…

So explain to me exactly what it does when you put it in reverse, please…

Any Jaguar JF506E Transmission will fit your car, or should at least.

Last edited by Justicejamesb; 11-05-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:05 AM
Old 12-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

Is this the pan where the filler and breather tube are??

I have been thinking of replacing the solenoids on my car as a maintenance item but I don't want to open up a Pandora's box I can't close back up. Did you by chance take any pictures?

Old 12-05-2013, 06:59 AM

I didn't take any pictures, sorry. Once you get off the battery and it's mount you'll be able to see the pan and how it fits on your car. It's really not that hard of a job, just take your time and you'll be fine.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

I didn't take any pictures, sorry. Once you get off the battery and it's mount you'll be able to see the pan and how it fits on your car. It's really not that hard of a job, just take your time and you'll be fine.
Ok thanks. I have had my battery and battery holder of many times to refill the tranny after draining it. I think it's the pan where the fill tube and breather tube are located. I think I will give it a go .

Old 12-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a leak in my valve body cover, or the "pan" you're talking about. Just replaced the battery and was relieved to see all the room I had. I had one hole stripped. Luckily the case at that part is a flange, and you can put a nut behind a bolt. Pretty cool. No need for a heli coil. I don't eve know if they work on aluminum. I think its aluminum.

Anyway, I"ll do a video of the process for anybody else. I did one for the air conditioning complete flush/vacuum and charge. Haven't had to time to edit it yet.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its a Japanese transmission used by various motor companies. It is a jatco JF506E. There is a good thread on hear for the valve box rebuild, the kit he says is 300 bucks. The location is a snap, so easy rebuild, he says for anybody mechanically inclined. I'm doing the reseal of the valve body cover pan. I'll take a look see.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by UKnFor-dluv-expat
Its a Japanese transmission used by various motor companies. It is a jatco JF506E. There is a good thread on hear for the valve box rebuild, the kit he says is 300 bucks. The location is a snap, so easy rebuild, he says for anybody mechanically inclined. I'm doing the reseal of the valve body cover pan. I'll take a look see.
The solenoid kit, which only compromises the 9 solenoids, is 300.00. The valve body itself is a different story, I think. I dot know if the valve body failure is common on these cars enough for me to do that as well. Right now I don't have any slippage, just a heaviness that I can't totally shake, so I thought the solenoid kit is cheap enough to do and I have heard of many Jatco problems due to the sticky solenoids.