X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Level Check Plug Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Level Check Plug Help

The issue: how does the fluid level check plug work on a 2003 Jaguar X-Type Automatic transmission?

My car has 120,000 miles on it, and I flushed my transmission and drained out 3.5 quarts and plan on doing it again a few more times so clear out the fluid even more; however, I have an issue. I don't understand how to use the fluid check plug. I went through the fluid change procedure that I found on here, but when I took out the "fluid level check plug" the transmission fluid just kept coming out. I wanted to see how it worked before I changed it and took that off first before draining the fluid and fluid came out. I thought that was weird, because I never touched the transmission, so that means according to the purpose of this plug my car has been driving for 120,000 miles overfilled. I just don't get how the hell this plug works if its facing down towards the ground. I mean what keep all of the fluid from draining out. It doesn't seem like a fluid level check plug but rather just another place fluid can come out. If someone could please enlighten my ignorance that would be great, because I don't want to be driving around with a quart over what should be in there and I blow out my seals. Btw I took it for a little test drive around the block after running through all the gears first, and my car shifts better now. It never had any issues shifting; however, when my car would downshift from second to first it wasn't a perfect shift and you could hear a light clunk sound.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by steuey67
The issue: how does the fluid level check plug work on a 2003 Jaguar X-Type Automatic transmission?

My car has 120,000 miles on it, and I flushed my transmission and drained out 3.5 quarts and plan on doing it again a few more times so clear out the fluid even more; however, I have an issue. I don't understand how to use the fluid check plug. I went through the fluid change procedure that I found on here, but when I took out the "fluid level check plug" the transmission fluid just kept coming out. I wanted to see how it worked before I changed it and took that off first before draining the fluid and fluid came out. I thought that was weird, because I never touched the transmission, so that means according to the purpose of this plug my car has been driving for 120,000 miles overfilled. I just don't get how the hell this plug works if its facing down towards the ground. I mean what keep all of the fluid from draining out. It doesn't seem like a fluid level check plug but rather just another place fluid can come out. If someone could please enlighten my ignorance that would be great, because I don't want to be driving around with a quart over what should be in there and I blow out my seals. Btw I took it for a little test drive around the block after running through all the gears first, and my car shifts better now. It never had any issues shifting; however, when my car would downshift from second to first it wasn't a perfect shift and you could hear a light clunk sound.
The fluid level check bolt screws into a standing well. The top of the well opening stands slightly taller than the needed height (level) of the fluid.

The key to this is that the transmission has to be operated just up to 95°F when checking the fluid. This is the temperature where the fluid is at the expected viscosity; and enough of it has been pulled into the torque converter, valve block, etc. that the level of fluid left in the pan should be at the top of the level bolt's well but not flowing over and down out of the opening.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 PM

Thank you for the words of wisdom. =) How do I know if the temp is 95 degrees? Should I just run the car for 10 mins, turn it off and then check the fluid level, or do I need some sort of tool? I don't want to drive my car anymore, till I make sure I have the proper amount of fluid.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

The dealer has a diagnostic system that can display the operating temp of the transmission. A standard scan tool will not give that level of information unfortunately.

Last time I drained and refilled mine, I took a very short trip around the block and checked it before the engine had warmed up. I figure it doesn't take much at all to hit 95 degrees.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

however, when my car would downshift from second to first it wasn't a perfect shift and you could hear a light clunk sound.
The same problem here. Do not know why.

Old 06-24-2023, 03:05 PM
Default 2004 X Type tranny fluid level plug issue

Hi,
I know this is an old thread, but I had the same exact experience trying to figure out the tranny fluid level. I read how to change fluids and how to check the level, but when I pulled the plug to check the level, 3 quarts drained out. Note: I did not pull the tranny fluid drain plug, but the smaller one a bit further back (and slightly higher) than the drain plug as was indicated on some posted photos.

Before I started, I ran the car for about 5 minutes at idle, then drove it up and down my driveway about 7 times, each time stopping and going through all the gears including park. (I could not drive it around the block due to an axle issue I am addressing too). Lucky me! I then jacked the car up on the drivers side to view and access the plug. I opened it up and let it drain while I lowered the car off the jacks to the normal level. It continued to drain for some time. When I measured how much ultimately came out, there was 3 full quarts of fluid. I cannot understand why that much fluid came out if it truly is just a fluid level check plug. The car was purchased new in 2004 and is still in the family. My son now drives it. It was usually serviced by a Jag dealer but I cannot find any invoices stating the fluid had been changed in the past.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-24-2023, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

The higher plug is the drain plug, the lower plug is the reverse band plug. Thus counterintuitive and why if you don't know what you are doing so many people take out the lower plug and muck up their transmission.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-pics-183620/

Diagrams of where plugs are and how they work.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ms-oil-199408/

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 06-24-2023 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2023, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Whoever told you to check the level in that way told you wrong! ( That's for Smul, not you Dell!!)

I'd put three quarts back in - better to much than too little as you now do this:
With the car on four axle stands so it is accessible and level, hold the footbrake on firmly and run the engine while changing through all selector positions until the gearbox temperature approaches 30 deg C.

Keep the engine idling and remove the level plug. If no fluid drains out, add fluid until it does, or if fluid does flow out, wait until the flow is just a trickle. Replace the level plug. If at any stage the gearbox temperature exceeds 40 deg C, stop the process, wait till the temperature drops below 30 deg C and start again!

To be sure, here's a photo of the level plug position. The type of head changed over the years - some MYs require an allen key.

Last edited by astromorg; 06-24-2023 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2023, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Yes, car needs to jacked up, leveled, temperature (of the ATF) brought to around 40°C (the temperature mentioned in the old thread above of 95°F is only 35°C), and very important: After going thru all the gears previously, the engine needs to be running, while you remove the check plug. Furthermore, I think the standard procedure of "drain, refill times 3" to archive a somewhat satisfying ATF-change-result is a joke. Here is how I do it:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...change-266693/

The following users liked this post:
astromorg (06-25-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 04:57 PM

Thanks Peter and Astromorg for your replies. Makes sense to jack car up and level and run through the gears then. I was having trouble figuring out how to access the fill port as I couldn't see how to get to it due to the battery pan leaving limited space. May just pull the pan for now if not enough room to get to the port and re-install after. Working through it -thanks again. - Sean

Old 06-25-2023, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

If you will read my link above, it will show you an easy work around to the fill port. Took another member's advice to do it.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I have to correct what someone wrote above. The picture above does not show the fluid level plug! I took the picture above, and corrected it:

This is the fluid level plug! I have opened the correct one already a few times on 2 different X-Type, and also, you can confirm this on the X-Type workshop manual on page 1442.

Old 06-26-2023, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Now you've got me worried Peter!
When I changed my fluid, I was using JTIS and I certainly didn't have any problems setting the level and now I'm concerned that in the process of getting my photo and then marking up the level plug, I've managed to highlight the wrong one! I'll have to get back under and check the scene of the crime!
I'm certainly not disputing what you say!!

Old 06-26-2023, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, sorry, I had to correct this (as soon as I saw it - I did not look at your picture toughly before), as other people will use this as guide and I know how very difficult it is to find any information on the net of where that check-level-bolt is. I do not know the function of the bolt you marked up. But it could be worse: Many people before thought to look for a check-level-bolt as a raised position behind the left wheel arch liner - and the "obvious" plug there, which could be mistaken for the check plug, releases some kind of "reverse band" inside of the transmission (if you open that bolt) to the effect that there will be no more reverse gear - just putting the bolt back in does not fix the issue...

Here the page from the workshop manual:
Page 1442 from the workshop manual pointing out the ATF check bolt

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 06-26-2023 at 07:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
astromorg (06-26-2023)