X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble.. wheel bearing and front driver side cv shaft replacment on 3.0

Old 05-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation trouble.. wheel bearing and front driver side cv shaft replacment on 3.0

Hello i my name is Daniel, im in upstate NY and i drive/drove a 2004 Jaguar x-type 3.0.. It seems as though ive skipped past the intro section but im in a lack of time. A little over a two weeks ago my front driver side wheel bearing went out on my 3.0.. .. I visted a local garage here to have it replaced but, a simple lack of knoledge and improper tools led to the mechanic tearing my ball joint and still being un able to replace my bearing.. Two days later and another less than knoledgable mechanic, my car now has stripped threads on the end of the cv shaft.. So im venturing to take on the project my self, I have acess to a shop lift and full set of shop tools but none of them are the jaguar specific tools ive been told by others that i need.. such as a ball joint splitter, hub remover and, the special tool to remove the cv shaft from the Transfer case.. so im just looking for any insight on any tips or tricks that you may know or, any details i have left out.. Ive read through the forum and picked up some good info.. but nothing complete..

from what ive read on this forum and others it seems pretty straight forward a project once i get around my lack of tool issues. The steps im looking to take are

1. remove wheel
2 remove brake assembly and secure caliper to strut
3. diconect tie rod
4. disconect and secure ABS censor
5. undue top and botom knuckle/hub retaining bolts

6. split ball joint from lower control arm.. this is said to require a special to ie (ball joint splitter)

example 1. http://www.diseno-art.com/images_2/b..._separator.jpg

example 2.http://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/.../040212980.jpg

example one is what is said to be required.. and, example two is what the first shop used to ruin my ball joint with no sucess splitting it from the knuckle/hub..
This leaves me a little puzzled as how to proceed.. ive read in forums that you can unbolt the subframe to help with getting the lower control arm to drop down a little bit but there are no clear instrustions on how to seperate the ball joint without the tool..

7. remove strut from knuckle
8. remove CV shaft. this also requires a special tool of which ive never seen.. ive read that it can be done with drive shaft and knuckle/hub pushed to the side tap the cv shaft from the TC box until retaining clip is expossed taking extra caution as to not pull TC box shaft through the inner seal of the TC box
9. with knuckle/hub removed make quick work of the shop press to seperat cv shaft from knuckle, hub from bearing, and bearing from knuckle..

10. reassemble in reverse order..

if you have any information or know of a pictorial i have missed please let me know as i am set to do this in the coming days..
Once complete i plan on posting the job steps in a how to guide format to help others

Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I had a wheel bearing issue myself a few months ago and found that you need to get an OEM bearing or you'll start getting ABS codes. The mechanic replaced my left front wheel bearing and CV shaft because, like your situation, some nimrod stripped the threads on mine.

However, before all of that I would visit these "mechanics" and have them either fix or reimburse me for the damage they caused. Then I would take the car to a shop (I've had good experiences at Cole Muffler) and have them put in the bearing and repair whatever the other mechanics couldn't. May car has been in twice to address the wheel bearing and CV shaft like I already mentioned, and a torn CV boot that led to a CV joint replacement.

You shouldn't need any specific Jaguar "special tools," as they like to call them, to do the jobs you're talking about. If you don't know what you're doing, save yourself the time and headache and take it to someone who does. The prices will be reasonable once they realize that the X-Type is just another car and not some sort of alien vehicle

Last edited by emaraszek; 05-22-2013 at 12:20 PM.