X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk opening and video

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Trunk opening and video

When I bought my car last June. I opened the trunk and foud a round piece of plastic with a spring in hit. I looked at the trunk opening mechanics and saw the other one. I went to my dealer and showed him the part and asked for a new one. He told me this part has been replaced with a newer better design so I would have to buy two. I did about $60. When I got home to install them it took perhaps ten minutes very easy. when I clicked on the key fob the trunk unlocked and came up abot 1/4 inch. Later I found out there is a right and left to this things, I kept the bags and sure enough there are different part numbers on each bag but no indication which is right or left. Question, how far up should the trunk open when you press the fob button? Also, why is there not a button to open the trunk from inside the car?

Here is a video I think is quite interesting about an XType that has seen better days. It hurt me to see what happened to this car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF-fE...eature=related

Old 02-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

a trunk button inside the car is sooooooo american.

I think a better question would be "why IS there a trunk button inside american cars?"
What on earth would be the use of opening it when you are nowhere near it?
the only answer is that Americans are too lazy to get up and open the trunk for someone else. It is not like you show up with a bag of groceries and open the door, find the button , then go back to the trunk to put stuff in there. lol

now for a more practical answer, just use the button on the key! it works from inside the car.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Adam, on my car, the trunk just barely cracks open. If I am not lifting it as I am popping it, the trunk remains latched. So, what you are experiencing is normal. All those spring buttons are for is to get the trunk lid out of the latch.

As for the button inside the car for the trunk, it is a british thing. That is about the only answer I can come up with. Granted, if you want to add one, let me know. It isn't all that hard to do. Then the trick is finding a place to hide a pushbutton.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A button inside the car is pretty nice when you pull-up at the departures area at a modern airport. At so many airports today, the driver can't exit the car since stopping is permitted only for a couple seconds without having security screaming at you. You pull up quickly and let your passenger out, click the button, and then get moving.

Older folks who have mobility problems often use them also at the grocery store where young men will load your grocery bags for you.

Yes, I know you can use the button on the fob, but I find the one on the dash of my other car quicker and more convenient.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Veteran member

The button on the keyfob only works when the key is not in the ignition. If the car is running, the keyfob will not pop the trunk.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ithe dumbest thing about this car is the trunk and rear folding sdeats.
To open the trunk if your battery dies you need to hook it to a new battery...fine..what if your cables are in your trunk? Open the back seats, right? Wrong, you can't drop your rear seats from the inside of the car, you have to have the trunk open.
The emergency trunk release is inside the trunk.
So basically this trunk is designed for is someone is locked IN the trunk, not locked OUT of the trunk...pointless....

Old 02-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Veteran member

MIke, what you end up doing is using a set of jumper cables to apply power to the car through the hood. All cars I am aware of have jumper points under the hood. By using a set of jumper cables and a second vehicle, you can apply enough power to the car to ge the trunk opened. From there, you can swap out the battery and go from there.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Smile Trunk

Having a trunk release inside the passenger compartment of a car is not an American thing. The Mercedes Benz, I owned had one as did the BMW and Audi and the SAAB all had a inside release.

Thanks for the advice on the trunk opening I am glad it is normal. The
Benz I had, had a cool trunk release mechanism. You could open it from the inside, or from the outside from the key fob and inside the trunk was a button that you pushed that closed it. It did not have the auto close door feature as that came after 2000 CE

Also on HDTV there is a show called Wheeler Dealer, it is made in the UK. The guy who buys the cars last name is Brewster and the mechanic is Edd China. It has been in reruns for about a year. For you folks in the UK, do you know this show and if so is it still being made. As I love it. If there are DVD's available for the series I might consider buying them.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
MIke, what you end up doing is using a set of jumper cables to apply power to the car through the hood. All cars I am aware of have jumper points under the hood. By using a set of jumper cables and a second vehicle, you can apply enough power to the car to ge the trunk opened. From there, you can swap out the battery and go from there.
i dont know what happened to my reply i posted to this a few hours ago but...

battery died and my cables were in the jag trunk, couldnt open the trunk because the battery was dead ,,,had to hunt around to find someone else that had a set of jumper cables that would let me use them...such a P.I.T.A!!!
they should have just made the seats able to fold from inside the car.
This was about a month ago, and i was not impressed with the trunk and folding seat release locations.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Veteran member

Mike, the access to the trunk from the interior of the car is a security concern. By keeping the seat releases inside the trunk, if you put your valuables in the trunk, the only way to access them is to be able to pop the trunk open. That can only be done by either having the keyfob or by having the car unlocked. I would even venture to guess that Jag programmed the GEM that if the security feature was triggered, the trunk could not be opened unless the keyfob only was used.

There is some method to the madness. It is just understanding the madness.

The following users liked this post:
ghettomike (02-06-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo

There is some method to the madness. It is just understanding the madness.
i was declared insane last time i attempted to go within 10 feet of the x-type with tools....
1 person got stabbed in the hand with a screwdriver, the door wouldnt open so i pulled it off, and i bought and broke a bran new set of jumper cables on purpose...
true story.....

Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My trunk unlocks every time I unlock my door which happens when I open my door. I think if I need access to my trunk, then I am most likely getting out of my car, and so it is not that big of a deal.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In response to the question about a button inside the car: An easy way to open the trunk without having to take the key fob out is to push the button that is actually on the trunk lid. the 02-03's have one on the front part of the trim, and the 04+ have one under the trim. The car just needs to be unlocked.

For jumping a battery, I have seen these new cables that allow you to plug in to the 12v cig lighter port. one end in one car, and the other end in the other car 12v port. Never tried these, but seem like a good idea. you wouldnt even have to lift the hood.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I thought the trunk lid should float to fully open when I press the trunk release button on the key fob, or, use the button on the trunk lid itself. I should not have to lift the trunk open manually after I have hit the release. The trunk lid on my 95 Cadillac Eldorado would rise up gracefully when I'd press the key fob or the interior trunk release.

So is the X-Type trunk lid supposed to just sit there after I press the release? It's not supposed to float up and open for you? I figured my Stabilus struts were toast because when I press the "Trunk Open" button, the trunk lid doesn't actually open, it only unlocks. I've been looking for new Stabilus struts cuz I figured mine were shot!

Last edited by Patterson; 04-16-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Hitting either the fob button or the button under the lid will unlock the trunk only. It is not supposed to unlock and raise the trunk. Sounds like yours is working fine unless when you fully rais it it will not stay open.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

When I hit the trunk button on my key fob on my 2004, The trunk used to pop and open up. This worked until those little plastic black spring loaded actuator things broke off the hinges.

Now when I use the key fob it pops and inch up.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Smile Trunk Lid

Originally Posted by Patterson
I thought the trunk lid should float to fully open when I press the trunk release button on the key fob, or, use the button on the trunk lid itself. I should not have to lift the trunk open manually after I have hit the release. The trunk lid on my 95 Cadillac Eldorado would rise up gracefully when I'd press the key fob or the interior trunk release.

So is the X-Type trunk lid supposed to just sit there after I press the release? It's not supposed to float up and open for you? I figured my Stabilus struts were toast because when I press the "Trunk Open" button, the trunk lid doesn't actually open, it only unlocks. I've been looking for new Stabilus struts cuz I figured mine were shot!

Nope it is just lifted enough to clear the locks. I even replaced the spring loaded lifts which according to what were mounted at the factory are either Black and flimsy or grey and sturdy. The change to the grey design which were better than the black. The other annoyance I have there is no interior trunk release, Most cars I have had over the past 20 years have interior trunk release, but that's Jaguar. Oh you don't need new struts, but change the spring loading openers to the grey ones, they pop the trunk a bit higher.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

What's a trunk?

Old 04-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Something that fits in the back of an X Type estate I think.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Something that fits in the back of an X Type estate I think.
Ahhh, in Canada we call them suitcases. But seriously, when I press the trunk open button on my fob I hear the thing opening but it doesn't actually move, I can lift it but it's not like it pops up. I think on the estate instead of opping the whole back door it should just pop the glass. (another perk of the Estate is the glass opens independant of the back door. Handy if you're hauling something long.

Quick Reply: Trunk opening and video