X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to figure out what I have..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Trying to figure out what I have..

Hey guys I been trying to figure out whether I have the regular audio setup or the premium. I have 2 Little twitters(door handle) 2 speakers in the front, 2 Little Tweeters, 2 Speakers in the back and there's a sub-woofer on the rear deck maybe 6x9 is this the 10 speaker audio setup my rear and passenger side speakers are all blown up I'm trying to replace them any help or ideas would be appreciated sorry if this is a dumb question.

if you guys can post speakers recommendations that would be awesome

thanks

Old 03-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

You have the premium set up. You can verify that by looking at the speaker covers in the lower front door areas. The premium system has the Harmon Kardon text on it where in the standard audio system the grills are plain.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
You have the premium set up. You can verify that by looking at the speaker covers in the lower front door areas. The premium system has the Harmon Kardon text on it where in the standard audio system the grills are plain.
Mine only has a plain black cover no logo nor text, but being said that it has twitters is it better to get component speaker or coaxial speaker

Old 03-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine has a bunch of speakers (tweeters, and something in rear deck) but the grills say alpine. Regardless, it's always better to go component for clarity reasons.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

You're right. The premium stereo grille in the front doors have Alpine on them. Not sure what I was thinking there.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:33 PM

I was thinking of putting these
Amazon.com: JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics Amazon.com: JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics
in the rear doors and leave the stocks tweeter for extra clarity

what you guys think or suggest

Old 03-23-2014, 07:40 PM

I'm not sure what you mean, but whatever you do, make sure you don't go without the stock subwoofer for any length of time. My stereo was redone by the previous owner, leaving the subwoofer nonfunctional. Sounds very crisp, even at high volume, but lacks that extra kick and depth in the low end that even a tiny subwoofer is capable of producing. The stock system in my Saab blows the jag's current setup away.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by liquidreality
I'm not sure what you mean, but whatever you do, make sure you don't go without the stock subwoofer for any length of time. My stereo was redone by the previous owner, leaving the subwoofer nonfunctional. Sounds very crisp, even at high volume, but lacks that extra kick and depth in the low end that even a tiny subwoofer is capable of producing. The stock system in my Saab blows the jag's current setup away.
The sub-woofer really does make a difference thank god mine is not blown is only the door speaker's that are blown

Old 03-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I would like some more bass. I often turn the stereo all the way up at times and it's just lacking a little. I would like a little extra kick. Nothing earthshattering but maybe something decent for some good low end. Also my stereo in general just needs to be louder. Don't get me wrong, it's a good sounding stereo, but when I really want to rock out it doesn't exactly cut it. It only goes so loud. I was thinking too what if I just replaced the stock speakers with some good speakers the same size? For bass though I think I would have to get at least like an 8" speaker in the trunk or maybe one of those bass tubes if they still make those. I don't want anything to heavy though because I like staying light on my feet. Was looking into maybe doing a touchscreen system but kind of got in deep with my lowering spring project.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:45 PM

Just changing the speakers isn't going to make it noticeably louder. They'll most likely be rated at a higher wattage, but the head unit itself is still only going to be putting out the same amount of power, which likely will be less than what the new speakers can handle. I may be mistaken, but you're going to have to install a new head unit at the very least (but preferably an amplifier) to take advantage of a new speaker set. That being said, new speakers alone may produce higher quality sound when you take into account that whatever's in there now is 10+ years old.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I figured I have the premium audio setup because of the Alpine logos on the speaker grilles. I came across this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-detail-33356/
but the sub shown there is different from what mine has. This is what's installed in our car.
There is no bottom just the speakers mounted in the deck and both of them are wired unlike the ones in the mentioned article where one is a passive radiator. It the sub shown in the other writeup maybe a standard sound system sub?

Attached Thumbnails Trying to figure out what I have..-img_2332_zps2e4a29a1.jpg