X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade to voice and better microphone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 03:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Upgrade to voice and better microphone?

Anyone ever upgraded their OEM bluetooth to add voice? Like many people, mine does not have the voice option, when I select the voice button on the steering wheel it mutes the stereo. I would like to add voice, but I have no dealership up here in Alaska to ask, and not sure what I need to upgrade it? Is it an entire new phone box or just an add on? Where can I get one?

ALSO

Anyone know of a good Microphone that can be put in the place of the factory one that will block out road noise. I can splice wires into the plug if needed, just need a good one?

I DO want to keep the factory Bluetooth system for phone, (i like the looks) so changing out the deck, etc is not an option.

Thanks

Old 12-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Really the only way in my mind and knowledge of being able to do this is to switch out the WHOLE head unit with one that came from the factory with a phone unit. With that being said, If all you want is that button on your steering wheel to connect to your phone, then I would recommend re-routing that switch to an aftermarket system behind the dash that connects to your stereo via the radio. It would take work, but less work than the whole swap you want. In my mind, I don't think that the work and $ you will put in will amount to the functionality you want. Just my 2 cents

Old 12-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

No need to change the head unit.

Voice is simply a separate (and expensive) module that mounts in the media rack along with phone, CD-changer and DVD-Nav modules. (in the trunk, left hand side).

So long as your car is pre-wired for voice, it's pretty much plug & play.

You need to check the wiring loom that goes into your phone module, with luck, it will have a 2nd loom coming out of it, and there would be a plug in the end of it with a couple of looped wires, blanking it off.

If it's not pre-wired then you need to find a wiring loom which has both phone & voice on it. The loom runs from a connector under the back seat, up to the center console, and into the trunk where the media rack is.

Be wary of the voice modules, there are different versions for different countries (i.e. languages) but if you get one from a wrecked North American car, you should be OK.

Lastly, you would need to add another connector to the D2B fiber-optic ring which connects the various modules together in the rack.

The following users liked this post:
mralston69 (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 AM

thanks - i found a box for $500.00 - to much for that little option

Anyone know of a good noise cancelling mic to replace the OEM one?

Old 12-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Keep looking, they might turn up cheaper.

Not sure about the mic, do you have the factory one on the side of the roof console? Like this;

This was already a replacement for the original mic in the middle of the roof console, which was very quiet. I fitted that one myself (along with the rest of the OEM bluetooth) and people have commented that the sound is crystal clear!

Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 PM

Mine is on the top Drivers side - about 1 inch from the center console, connected to the head liner (stand alone microphone). The issue is everyone else tells me they here bad road noise - I know part of it is my 245-40-18 wheels, and part is our wonderful roads in Alaska (lol) - but there are good headset ones out there that are crystal clear -and i am hoping there is a car mic that I can wire in that is better noise canceling then the factory one? Even if I need to splice wires- it looks like it is a basic two wire mic - and it plugs in under the dome light console. My thought is get a good one (if anyone knows of a good one?) and splice the wires to the Jag plug, and plug it in. Has anyone tried this to see if it works?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 AM

Cambo - Now your picture shows up for me - Yes that is the same one I have - It must be my tires then - ill just have to keep looking for a good noise cancelling one -Thanks