Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

amen to that

Old 04-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Phatcat67
How out a 99 Taurus sho engine??? It's a duratec bolt pattern like the 3.0 jag motor.....it fit on the stock trans I had in my 04 during a mockup....that would be bad ***!!!! A 3.4 32v v8!!!
Interesting... Too bad the V8 SHO engines had a lot of problems. It would be a lot of work to transplant an engine that only has about 10hp more than the stock 3.0 V6:

The 3.4 L SHO V8 was introduced in the spring of 1996. It incorporated many of the traits of the SHO V6, including the aluminum cylinder heads and 4-valve per cylinder DOHC design, but differed with an aluminum rather than iron block and no variable length intake manifold. A chain is also used to time the camshafts to crankshaft instead of the belts that the SHO V6s used. The SHO V8 has a split port style intake valve setup. The primary valve is exposed all the time and has the fuel injector spraying on it, while the secondary valve is only exposed when the Intake Runner Manifold Control opens the secondary plates at 3400 rpm. Power was similar too, at 235 hp (175 kW) and 230 lb·ft (312 N·m) of torque.[1]

Bore and stroke were identical to the Duratec 25 at 82.4 mm and 79.5 mm, respectively. The engines shared other traits as well, and insiders report that the designs are related, though not closely. Notably, the two engines share the same bell housing pattern and 60° V angle. The 60° angle makes it compact and more suitable for transverse mounting, but it is not ideally balanced—V8s are typically 90°—necessitating the use of a counter-rotating balance shaft.

Manufacturing was also a shared process. Ford manufactured the aluminum engine blocks, using a patented Cosworth process, at their Windsor, Ontario plant, then shipped them to Japan for finishing by Yamaha. The finished engines were shipped back to the Taurus plant in Atlanta, Georgia for installation.

Unlike the SHO V6, the SHO V8's valvetrain was an "interference" design, one that is shared by many engines built today, meaning that the piston will collide with the valves if the camshaft or timing chain fails. Due to some cam sprocket failures, the engine acquired a reputation for potentially catastrophic failure.
[edit] Cam trouble

Soon after the introduction of the SHO V8, widespread problems with the cam sprockets began to surface. Ford had used a relatively unusual method, called "swaging", of affixing the cam sprockets to the camshafts.[2] The cam sprockets were fastened to the hollow camshafts by forcing a metal ball which was slightly larger than the interior diameter of the camshaft through the center of the camshaft, thus expanding the metal slightly and creating a mechanical bond between the cam sprocket and the camshaft.[3]

This method proved to be inadequate, and the cam sprocket could break loose from the camshaft and spin independently from the camshaft (or "walk").[4][5] This would result in the camshaft stopping and thus not activating the valves, allowing the pistons to hit the valves, ruining the engine. The preventive measure of welding the cam sprocket to the camshaft soon proved to be a fix for engines that had not suffered such a fate yet.[6] Another such fix is "pinning" the cam sprocket, or inserting a pin in the sprocket to keep it aligned on the camshaft. Ford issued a TSB (TSB 03-14-1) prescribing the application of Loctite to the cam sprocket to lengthen the life of the camshafts,[7] but as SHO owners have experienced cam failure after the application of Loctite,[8] most SHO enthusiasts do not recommend this fix.

If it was do-able to shoe horn the supercharged 4.2 V8 from the S Type R into an X Type... THAT would be amazing. And probably worth the price of 10 X Types just to do it.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i didnt see anyone mention this but...
the S-type has a V8 option, i guess in theory you could yank it out of there chop the tranny and have your awd tranny modified with a section of the tranny from the s-type so they match up.
next pull engine mounts and most likely modify them to fit.
next use you TCM from the Xtype but the ECM from the S-Type.

wiring harness will be fun...

Old 09-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ghettomike
the problem is with the x-type is it is awd...so you need a awd tranny that can hold all the power and also it has to match up with the engine. it will not be east to find.
if you do attempt this swap you will most likely loose a lot of features...and i would kiss that a/c goodbye.
you are probably better off putting a turbo on the stock motor till it blows up then have it re-built stronger to hold the power you want.

This seems the more likely road to more power. So where do I get a turbo that'll fit?

As far as having a tranny that can handle the increase in power, I think it halfway depends on how you use the power, how you drive. If I rebuilt my engine and added 80HP I would not do AWD burnouts just b/c I could... Maybe just once for the cameras... But it'd be great to have 60 to 80 more horses in the X.

Also, if you re-built the motor what kind of things would you do? More aggressive cams shafts, bigger pistons, exhaust headers?? JATO in the trunk...?

Last edited by Patterson; 09-10-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:52 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Patterson
This seems the more likely road to more power. So where do I get a turbo that'll fit?

As far as having a tranny that can handle the increase in power, I think it halfway depends on how you use the power, how you drive. If I rebuilt my engine and added 80HP I would not do AWD burnouts just b/c I could... Maybe just once for the cameras... But it'd be great to have 60 to 80 more horses in the X.

Also, if you re-built the motor what kind of things would you do? More aggressive cams shafts, bigger pistons, exhaust headers?? JATO in the trunk...?
Doubt you will find a turbo kit that is just bolt in designed for the xtype. What fords use the same motor? And if its the same motor does it use the same exhaust manifolds?
There will be a lot of custom work to make it all fit. Cheapest thingf to do is round up turbo parts off a stock eagle talon (intercooler,and turbo) and custom build the rest. You don't need a big turbo and I doubt you will get a full size front mount in there without completly removing the bumper.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can put a v8 in the x-type's jaguar did it for the British motorsport race's. I think they mad about 20 car's for the road and the people that have them with not say they do. they made them so they can race in some track/classe.

Take a look...
Jaguar X Type Racing - YouTube

Jaguar X-type SCV8 » Jaguar Sport Web

Motorsport.com

Look at this xf 2DR same as a x-type but with xf body work.

http://jaguarracing.xf.cz/2010/05/ja...n-series-btcs/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrPRBwNt8Ic&NR=1

Last edited by bobby181; 09-11-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:46 AM

Bobby that X-type racing video is cool. Wish my cat could run like that, Lmfao!

I drilled a 2" hole in my air box to fit a 3rd cold air pick-up as so.
Name:  1024102141a.jpg
Views: 1896
Size:  4.6 KB
behold the front view....
Name:  1025101331-1.jpg
Views: 1981
Size:  26.7 KB

Since I have more air going in, how about this supercharger? It's basically a hi-speed fan for your intake. It plugs into the 12V battery. I have Magnaflow mufflers and the extra cold air tube fitted to my air box. If I also get hi-flow cats, and this supercharger, then maybe I could leave all Honda's and Scion's in the dust? As I should be able to, because, I drive a Jaguar...
Name:  Jagsuperchargerii.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  10.9 KB

Name:  Jagsuperchargeri.jpg
Views: 1960
Size:  12.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20110718_153807-2.jpg
Views: 1964
Size:  11.5 KB

Last edited by Patterson; 09-12-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

12v "supercharger" = snake oil - don't waste yer coin.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ghettomike
Doubt you will find a turbo kit that is just bolt in designed for the xtype. What fords use the same motor? And if its the same motor does it use the same exhaust manifolds?
There will be a lot of custom work to make it all fit. Cheapest thingf to do is round up turbo parts off a stock eagle talon (intercooler,and turbo) and custom build the rest. You don't need a big turbo and I doubt you will get a full size front mount in there without completly removing the bumper.
You can try and import a turbo kit made for the Ford Mondeo.. Plenty of companies in the UK make bolt on kits. Would take some modification to fit, but it wouldn't be impossible. I've even seen a few supercharger kits for the 2.5 and 3.0. Worth the price? Probably not.

The way I always look at modifying cars these days is a dollar per horsepower ratio. For example, if you spend about $8000 to add a turbo with supporting mods onto your X Type (and you will easily with all the custom work involved)- let's say you end up making an additional 100hp at the crank. Basically for every 1 horsepower you gain, you're spending $800 bucks.

By contrast- say you've got a 350Z and you add a Greddy twin turbo kit. You'll make an additional 250 horses at the crank for around $6000 bucks. $24 for every 1 horsepower. Now tell me if you still think its worth going out and trying to turbocharge your X Type.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:24 AM

A Ford Mondeo turbo kit would be nice. I've been thinking about moving my battery to the trunk. That could create some space for a turbo. But as Mr. UFO's ate my Cow stated, the price per horsepower should not be ignored. That being said, I want to drive my Jag at exhilarating speeds, not a Nissan or any other car. I want my AWD X Type to out accelerate all other cars in it's class. However, that is far from the case. Why did Jaguar make such a cool looking and stable ride, and then put a 190 HP Duratec engine under the hood?

I love and trust the aluminum block and heads design of the Duratec engine. It is a good and efficient design for a V6. Tried and true on probably a million vehicles, and manufactured in many different displacements.

Does Duratec mean anything specific?

WikiPedia shows:
" In North America, Ford uses the Duratec name on all its dual overhead cam 4 and 6 cylinder engines. In Europe, all Ford petrol engines are called Duratec."

Name:  canibeathomepagesig.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  16.4 KB
Stolen pic

Last edited by Patterson; 09-13-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Patterson

Stolen pic
I'm confused... ^that is my car. What do you mean stolen pic?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

They also put a 230hp 3.0 under the hood, which has about the same power as similarly equipped BMW 3's/MB C class for that vintage.

Honestly if you want more power/speed, and a Jag, you are ahead of the game if you just get an S Type 4.2 or STR, or an XK/XKR, or XJ/XJR, unless you want to spend copious amounts of cash and time on the X. One thing I have seen done on the X's Duratec is fit a 3.0 Taurus exhaust manifold. Opens up breathing a bit. Frankly if you do anything to add a bunch of power you'll likely grenade the tranny and/or the transfer case.

The old adage: "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" applies here and then some.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by exexpat
I'm confused... ^that is my car. What do you mean stolen pic?
Sorry Xxpat, upon finishing my post I threw in a pic of your car that I had saved. I must have downloaded it from JF. Seriously, great pic. But I wasn't sure who's Jag that was so I warned: "Stolen Pic" as in, that's not exactly my car doing 90mph in a 30...

Last edited by Patterson; 09-14-2011 at 12:54 AM.