X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy an X-type

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Want to buy an X-type

Hey guys. I really love the Jaguar X-types. I think they are drop dead gorgeous and I have always been a Jaguar fan. I've been doing a lot of reading on the X-types in the past few days. From what I have read they either have problems or they don't. I was hoping you could do the following for me.

List your year
List your Engine
List how many miles you have
List observed gas mileage. (I know its not gonna be great but I'm curious)
And tell me how reliable your X-Type has been.
What problems have you had? How expensive were they to fix?

Thanks for your help guys!

The following users liked this post:
daomoniker (10-20-2015)
Old 05-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

3.0 5spd sport
104k when I bought it 115k right now (paid $5700 with navi and sport)
about 18mpg, but I drive city (i can get 29 on highway)
The drivetrain has been really reliable, but there are a lot of small electronic things that I've fixed. I also bought a car that was in really bad cosmetic condition so I've basically just been fixing things from previous owner. Here's a google doc of my service https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&output=html
The car has cost me about $700 and I do all my own repairs. Keep in mind I bought it in below perfect condition

Last edited by disguay; 05-10-2012 at 12:18 AM.
daomoniker (10-20-2015)
Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2004 x type, 85400 miles, 3.0 awd, 17" wheels. Still have oem in every mechanical aspect. and I get 18-19 around town, and I forget exactly but somewhere over 25 on the highway (round about guess).
I seem to have found a keeper for sure! Beside a battery that seems to get drained quickly, I mean four batteries in eight years... Maybe I'm an idiot but that seems excessive.
Basic up-keep and tires and whatnot I've never had any other problems. I would recommend my car to anyone in that type of market I paid top dollar somewhere around 31000, but I've recently looked at some just to look and in great condition I'd say 6-7k is worth the purchase.
Good luck with whatever you decide!
I'd love to get a Vanden plas next time.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Welcome!
3.0 sport auto
103000 when I bought it...120000 now
$6200
Spent around $1000 getting it fixed up after previous owner neglect
Anwhere from 20 - 30 mpg
Best and nicest car I,ve owned
I highly recommend them...no car is problem free
Real easy to work on
Only drawback is people think I,m loaded and expect me to pay for dinner :+)

Old 05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Default Update: battery

Just got my car back after the battery died and labor and new battery, $271

Old 05-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

01rxlt, what you will find is that doing your own labor will save you an incredible amount of money. That's the whole reason I can drive a jaguar as a senior in high school

Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 PM

45600, bought it with 34000 almost 2 years ago and paid $5500 for it.
13-15 city, 25-29 highway.
No less reliable than any car I've owned.
Failed Fan Module, about $300 to fix.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:13 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi there!

2007 (Jaguar Select)
3.0 w/ Luxury Pkg, 18" Arubas, and pretty much all the options that year
At purchase - 36,000 miles ==> currently - 41,000 miles
Mixed driving mileage (mostly city) - about 20 mpg (kinda have a lead foot the wife tells me)
Has been very reliable.

Some Problems:
-Had some loose trims at purchase - covered under warranty
-Tire blown on highway due to damaged wheel during delivery by hauler and poor repair by wheel repair guy (little under $2,000 for two new tires and a few related repairs)
-Occasional whistling at highway speeds from moonroof area - not sure how to fix

Old 05-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought mine with a howling rear hub, fixed for $250 and no problems since.
Gas mileage is @ 25.

Fresh coat of wax last weekend again makes her the best looking car in the neighborhood.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Ahoy!

2.5 manual with electric leather seats, nav, folding mirrors, etc.
62000km when bought almost two months ago, about 64000km now
I drive relatively calmly, and the cub gulps about 10l/100km. Didn't try to convert to mpg as I've no idea whether to use UK or US gallons in the conversion...

Problems both current & past:
  • Currently the external temperature sensor is showing whatever it wants to show, without any direct relation to the actual temperature outside. A new sensor + fitting costs 25€, which isn't that bad.
  • I'm hearing wind noise from somewhere near the top of the right front door window.
  • A whining noise that appears between 90 and 100 km/h. It is extremely silent, and sounds a bit like a very relaxed sine wave; it goes up and down. While down, it's inaudible.
  • The somewhat dreaded transfer case was leaking oil. The leak turned out to be rather minimal (hardly any oil was missing), and it cost roughly 350 € to fix (glue-seal, should last almost forever now).
I should point out regarding the whining noise and the wind noise, that I have a very acute hearing and so far nobody else has been able to hear either of the two distractions.

The following two are apparently "working as intended", but they still felt scary when I discovered them:
  • The gearbox feels stiff. Sometimes it's almost difficult to get into 1st and 2nd, but it has been test-driven by a professional and he said it's actually light for an X-Type.
  • Mechanical noise from the engine; goes up with the revs but follows down "one step behind". Unfortunately, no, it doesn't sound like a supercharger. The professionals said it's normal for this engine and I've heard the same noise in other X-Types (on videos).

Anything else...well both my mufflers have surface rust (or maybe deeper, who knows), so I'll eventually replace them with stainless steel exhausts. Amusingly, the original Jaguar spare part is 3x the price of either Mina Gallery or Adamesh sports exhausts!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by disguay
01rxlt, what you will find is that doing your own labor will save you an incredible amount of money. That's the whole reason I can drive a jaguar as a senior in high school
A high school senior owning a jaguar?! does that mean that X-types are easy on insurance?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 01rxlt
A high school senior owning a jaguar?! does that mean that X-types are easy on insurance?
The x type is actually cheaper than my old saturn l300. I guess the awd, traction control, side airbags, and all the safety features of the xtype make it cheaper to insure than a saturn. I was blown away by it too!!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
[*]Mechanical noise from the engine; goes up with the revs but follows down "one step behind". Unfortunately, no, it doesn't sound like a supercharger. The professionals said it's normal for this engine and I've heard the same noise in other X-Types (on videos)
I think the noise you are describing is the a/c pump on whind down, does sound funny but i dont like it either.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes and it was the deciding factor between me buying the Jag and the other car I was looking at. (from a strictly monetary aspect at least)

SelousX (05-17-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 PM

Hey guys. I really love the Jaguar X-types. I think they are drop dead gorgeous and I have always been a Jaguar fan. I've been doing a lot of reading on the X-types in the past few days. From what I have read they either have problems or they don't. I was hoping you could do the following for me.

List your year
List your Engine
List how many miles you have
List observed gas mileage. (I know its not gonna be great but I'm curious)
And tell me how reliable your X-Type has been.

What problems have you had? How expensive were they to fix?

Thanks for your help guys!
2004 2.5 Ltr Manual, 95Kmi, 22-25 mpg

I purchased her last March. I just replaced the Falken Sinecuras with Bridgestone Potenza RE960s. I'm looking at replacing the brake pads and rotors during the next service, but there have been no major expenses so far.
Oops, forgot that I broke something in the AC when I lost traction doing a U-turn and struck the lower right valence on the curb, so that needs to be fixed, but that's an issue of PEBSASW (Problem exists between seat and steering wheel).
About the only thing I plan to do is have a FM modulator to allow music to play off anything with a 3.5mm jack installed.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Reading this forum may cause reliability worries because folks mostly come here when they are looking for help - so its kinda like asking the customers at the PC-Helpdesk if their PCs are reliable.

My x is an '03, bought with 35,000 miles 3 years ago, now has 66,000 miles on it.
I drive mostly suburban roads and get 20mpg. Prior car was a 4-banger Corolla that got ~25mpg - so fuel economy isn't bad at all. It's no Toyota Pious for sure, but it doesn't look, feel, or cost like one either.

When I bought it it needed an alternator and a new coolant expansion tank ($1,000 to fix both at a local garage.) I also swapped out headlamp units myself at that time due to broken auto-levellers ($700 in parts for both.)

About a year ago the water pump let go ($450 at the dealer). other than that, minor and routine stuff like brake pads that I did myself. If you own a cheapo socket set and a screwdriver, and you aren't afraid to take things apart and put them back together, you can save buckets of money doing basic work yourself. If you buy the X, you should DEFINITELY spend another $30 or so on the JTIS (Jag Tech Info Sys) DVD that covers repairs - it demystifies most everything with step by step instructions and diagrams.

It is a really nice car, and has been far more reliable than any other used car I've ever owned. I wish they still made them because I'd buy a new one.

BTW, at almost 10 years old, mine still has the original battery, which is still going strong. OrsonWells - if you're eating a battery every two years you ought to have that looked at - maybe you've got a Martians hiding under your hood sucking the juice outta yer batty, or maybe you're using 9v Duracell lantern batteries or something - but that's not normal.

Last edited by MeatBag; 05-16-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I've owned it for 20,000miles starting at 108000
Replaced 4 tires, front and rear pads and rotors, upper rad hoses + thermostat, water pump + idler pulley + belt, Air filter, oil changes, wishbone mount, A/C compressor TSB + recharge.

Compared to other vehicles this car has needed less work but if some thing major happens it will be a pain to fix with all the AWD stuff in the way. I won't buy any more X-types because the labor times are to high on basic items.

Be very picky on your purchase, the cost of repair can out weigh the total value of the car if your not careful, on the bright side you get a lot of car for your buck when you buy jag.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wish i could have gotten a 36k 3.0 for five and a half grand -_-
i have an 03 2.5 five speed. paid 7500 two years ago, 100k miles, now 145k
first car, great car. seen an xf around my area though recently..and damnnn
now i want one

Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

I was at a local Jaguar-club event this past weekend and I talked with a fellow who said that Florida is he place to look for a used X-Type. Apparently they were very popular down there and there are lots of them for sale.

Can anybody confirm this?
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 05-21-2012, 12:43 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>Florida is he place to look for a used X-Type

Just followed my own advice and used AutoTrader to look for X-Types near Miami. Found a '07 wagon with only 28K miles for $14K...

================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons